Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Red Ted Redemption

The MW is kinda +++++ed right?

11 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Just have a feeling this is going to be a damaging wave of conference realignment for us

It could be, but not likely.  If the B12 guts the AAC, we become the undisputed #6 conference and will be in the playoff pretty much every year.  If the B12 guts the MWC, we are F'd.  If neither happens, and we (unlikely scenario) pick up a couple of B12 teams, this conference just got a lot better and a lot more fun.

Two chances out of three we are better.  That second option?  Well a couple of our teams will have scored, and the rest of us can rebuild intelligently to get back to relevance.  Intelligently does not include panicking and chasing UTEP and UTSA.  We are at 12, we can do great at 9 and work from there if we have to.

We are not toast.  We are too small to fail.

It would only hurt if Boise State and SDSU are taken. Chances of that are remote. I think Boise State is only taken if BYU is taken. I’m skeptical BYU wants to get into a watered down Big 12. Although this is BYUs last chance to join a conference IMO.

The PAC will never invite them and they aren’t a fit anywhere else. If they are invited it’ll be interesting if they accept. My guess is no. They’ll ride independence into the sunset. 

2 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

It would only hurt if Boise State and SDSU are taken. Chances of that are remote. I think Boise State is only taken if BYU is taken. I’m skeptical BYU wants to get into a watered down Big 12. Although this is BYUs last chance to join a conference IMO. The PAC will never invite them and they aren’t a fit anywhere else. If they are invited it’ll be interesting if they accept. My guess is no. 

I'll be very surprised if BSU gets an invite.  I'm not knocking them, but location, market, and academics all work against them despite their athletic success.  Politically, the MWC becomes a stronger conference without them, but I don't see it happening.

BYU?  As I've said before, they are an attractive choice for a conference but I just don't see BYU and any conference board sitting down and working out a deal that satisfies both.  I can see a scenario where they are any conferences second phone call (after Notre Dame), and every conferences first "no thanks".  BYU is just BYU.  Not a knock, but it is what it is.

58 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I'll be very surprised if BSU gets an invite.  I'm not knocking them, but location, market, and academics all work against them despite their athletic success.  Politically, the MWC becomes a stronger conference without them, but I don't see it happening.

BYU?  As I've said before, they are an attractive choice for a conference but I just don't see BYU and any conference board sitting down and working out a deal that satisfies both.  I can see a scenario where they are any conferences second phone call (after Notre Dame), and every conferences first "no thanks".  BYU is just BYU.  Not a knock, but it is what it is.

Trying to look at BYU objectively which is hard. Lol. They’ve actually got it pretty good right now with football independence and other teams in the WCC. Is a watered down Big 12 really a step up for them? As an independent their football schedules get better every year. If the new playoff scenario happens they could get in as a wild card in a good year. 

Even a watered down Big 12 is a helluva basketball conference, way better than the WCC. Football on Sundays is not an issue, but other sports would be. If BYU goes I think it’s for football only. 

5 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Trying to look at BYU objectively which is hard. Lol. They’ve actually got it pretty good right now with football independence and other teams in the WCC. Is a watered down Big 12 really a step up for them? As an independent their football schedules get better every year. If the new playoff scenario happens they could get in as a wild card in a good year. 

Even a watered down Big 12 is a helluva basketball conference, way better than the WCC. Football on Sundays is not an issue, but other sports would be. If BYU goes I think it’s for football only. 

If the PAC and BIG go with a big scheduling agreement and the SEC got to a 9 - 10 game league schedule then the BYU schedules will take a big hit. 

6 minutes ago, Billings said:

If the PAC and BIG go with a big scheduling agreement and the SEC got to a 9 - 10 game league schedule then the BYU schedules will take a big hit. 

True. BYU has a lot to weigh if they get an invite. Every MWC team would jump at the chance, but IMO it’s not an automatic yes for BYU. I do think they will get an offer based on national fan support and stadium size/attendance. Not sure if they will take it. They look at things a lot different than most schools. 

Which way the Big 12 goes will depend on how much money they are getting without OU & UT in the conference.  If it isn't a big step above the AAC, the AAC schools could stay put and the Big 12 turns around and looks at the MWC.  Given my years as a Buffs fan, I have a good idea of what those former Big 8 rivals could be thinking.  Iowa State, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State are land grant schools and so is West Virigina.  Texas Tech isn't much different and would likely be in lockstep with Oklahoma State.  That's six schools and maybe Baylor & TCU will be also in lockstep but I think they would be looking at the AAC themselves.

Most important of all, I don't think the Big 12 schools would want to cross the Rockies so any school west of the Front Range is out.

If WVU leaves, I'm thinking CSU, AFA, and hopefully WYO will go to the Big 12.  I think UNM might consider a move to C-USA but they could stay and be the MWC's "9th" member instead.

I understand that AFA once said no to the Big 12 after they lost CU & Nebraska.  It's understandable not wanting to be part of a conference with OU & Texas and their football resources.  Without those two, the remaining Big 12 schools aren't much different from being MWC/AAC schools.  But the basketball is going to be still brutal so AFA could go in as a football only member and see if they can coax WSU to leave the AAC to be in the same conference as their two Kansas rivals.

If the Pac-12 football powerhouses leave that conference, it's a new world for the MWC, Pac-12, and Big 12.

7 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

If the top four AAC teams do go to the Big 12 I can see Aresco wanting to combine the remaining teams in the AAC with the MWC in an east west division. If he proposes that Craig Thompson better respond with a big FU. 

I feel like we tried that before and it didn't even last a summer....(also why would we do it if the AAC lost it's top 4 teams.  At that point, the MWC and CUSA could just take who they wanted if there were anyone else left of value)

1 minute ago, WAC_FAN said:

I feel like we tried that before and it didn't even last a summer....(also why would we do it if the AAC lost it's top 4 teams.  At that point, the MWC and CUSA could just take who they wanted if there were anyone else left of value)

The aac earns more than those two conferences combined, is superior in all other sports, has the support of the overlord (espn) and is already trying to poach actual p5 schools.  Even if they aren’t successful grabbing the lag8 do you really think another conference can offer more?  

Just now, WAC_FAN said:

The Sun Belt actually has several football programs on the rise, so (in theory) the AAC actually would have good expansion candidates if they wanted to stay East.

They could but the leadership has focused on making a metro conference and the best sunbelt options don’t fit that mold-even if they have been the better football programs of late.