Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

PAC-16

1 minute ago, GoState99755 said:

¿SAYS WHO?  My BFF Señor Google calls BS:

Your whole Nevada Southern College is “…part of the of the University of Nevada system…” argument  is quite laughable & sad.

Given that logic the UC has 11 -Lad Grant Schools.  ¡BS!   They have ONE, my Dad’s alma mater Cal, which located in Berekeley.

Ech State has ONE Land Grand Institution of higher learning, unless you count the Native Land Grant college.

Have fun trying to surf the University of Nevada’s coat tails from 440-mi away…haha

@Slapdad @mugtang @renoskier @Lester_in_reno 

DF7A688A-82C0-46D4-8185-A71843444B2F.jpeg

45F0DEA3-A530-4DBB-B85D-539EB4503F63.png

22825701-190F-4635-8E18-4DA2AAC89481.jpeg

D9B8855F-86FC-4A95-85A1-549B517D6107.jpeg

SB287, passed last month and it formalizes land grant university status for both UNLV and DRI in state statute.

You can agree or disagree but the time to argue it is over.  It is official now.  UNLV is Land Grant University in the State of Nevada!

4 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

Here is a day time view of the $2 Billion dollar Madison Square Garden Sphere!

E5tEESAUUAs5VaN?format=jpg&name=medium

8e230fc2-ca5d-4fe5-8d67-b953a1c15641-lar

636537027522770497-Inside-Out-Capture.jp

2-out-of-3 are CGI.  MORE FAKE NEWS from @RebelRobert

The last one is in the dark & the first-two aren’t “daylight” hrs either.  The sun is below-the-horizon tough guy.  That’s known as twilight.

BOTTOM LINE:  Vegas only looks good in the DARK

1 hour ago, GoState99755 said:

REFRESHING perspective.  ¡Thx!

Losing seasons is one thing but indifference towards athletics is a big turn off.  For any fanbase that wants to join the P12, I say tread carefully.

4 hours ago, RSF said:

Nevada[edit]

The University of Nevada, Las Vegas, is technically considered a land-grant university according to the attorney-general of Nevada,[16] but has received minuscule land-grant benefits as compared to the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR), and does not have an agricultural program.[17] However, Governor Brian Sandoval, a UNR graduate and the current president of UNR, opposes that interpretation and views UNR as the sole land grant institution in the state.[18]

#1 - Land Grant is a Federal pgm & classification

#2 - I can’t make this shit-up.  The Nevada Souther lobby is trying to use the “but my Mom said so” school of logic:  “technically considered a land-grant university according to the attorney-general of Nevada”

“Nevada Southern Land GrantGate” needs it’s own thread

¡jajaja!

3 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

#1 - Nice source:  Wikipedia.

#2 - Land Grant is a Federal pgm & classification

#3 - I can’t make this shit-up.  You’re using the, “but my Mom said so school of logic:  “technically considered a land-grant university according to the attorney-general of Nevada”

¡jajaja!

Already had its own thread months ago.  You missed all the Reno fans crying in it and the time to discuss it is over.

It passed the State Legislature in May and was signed by the Governor last month.

It is official that UNLV is a Land Grant University and nothing can change that.

42 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Already had its own thread months ago.  You missed all the Reno fans crying in it and the time to discuss it is over.

It passed the State Legislature in May and was signed by the Governor last month.

It is official that UNLV is a Land Grant University and nothing can change that.

And the logo you have on your signature is… well um, outlawed too. Like I told you, the federal law isn’t changing because of woke vegas politicians. Like the UC system, Vegas will still have access to the research grants it’s always had access to. And the system got more money not based on anything other than people from the LV Sun and Brookings institute telling a whole bunch of fantasy to lawmakers. 

2 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

#1 - Land Grant is a Federal pgm & classification

#2 - I can’t make this shit-up.  The Nevada Souther lobby is trying to use the “but my Mom said so” school of logic:  “technically considered a land-grant university according to the attorney-general of Nevada”

¡jajaja!

Welcome to The politics surrounding higher education in the state

19 hours ago, AztecSU said:

You’re joking and yet that scenario is 100X more likely than any version of the PAC that includes SDSU.

To plagiarize my own post on the AztecFootball board:

ESPN is correct there are no surefire targets if the P12 should opt to expand. Therefore, the best speculation is to group the schools who have been speculated about.

Will Only Be Considered in An Alternate Universe

BYU and Baylor for political reasons
All current members of the AAC because of geography
All MWC members not named Colorado State, Hawaii, SDSU or UNLV*
West Virginia

Highly Unlikely Because of Geography and Limited TV Eye Potential

Iowa State
Kansas State
TCU

Possible to Probable

Kansas (if not first offered by the B1G)
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech

* For CSU, no chance unless Colorado is first added to the B1G. For Hawaii, the Pac once expressed a desire to control the Pacific Rim including the ability to dominate recruiting of Pacific Islander football players as well as basketball players from the Far East like Yao Ming and UH building a new stadium shouldn't be discounted. For UNLV, it now has a nascent medical school and the gambling thing is no longer an issue.

As I said the other day, I expect the P12 to offer two of the three possible-to-probables. I'm not sure KU would accept but have little doubt OSU and TT would. Then the P14 would sit back and see how things pan out while keeping close tabs on the landscape and if, in the meantime, SDSU could manage to persuade the state legislature to allow it to offer PhDs independent of the UC system and if our new stadium proves to be a success, we will be the #1 obvious choice if the P14 looks to expand again at the end of this decade.

Gotta love it when folks play the Land Grant or Flagship cards in realignment threads.

# of times a respected pundit has used either factor to justify arguing that a university deserves promotion to a higher-level conference = somewhere around 3 times; ever

2 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Welcome to The politics surrounding higher education in the state

I remember it form my short time in Reno (¡Moana & Skyline BABY!) in the mid-'90s.  I believe I was living in The Silver State when the population in SoNV eclipsed that of NoNV, or when the North/South balance of the State House shifted...something along those lines.  It appears things may have even heated-up a little bit since I left KOLO-TV for a gig launching FOX Sports Net in Detroit.   SIDE NOTE:  A few-yrs-prior (1994) I was wrk'g in Madison, Wisco when Calif surpassed Wisconsin as the nations largest Diary Producer...GOOD TIMES.

I think your are being very kind when you classify this as State "politics."  From where I sit, fairly unbiassed having attended CSU-Diego & THE REAL CSU in Ft Fun, Colo; this is either about that lrg chip on Southern Nevadas College's shoulder, or the Rebs recently became old enough to realize the have a sml dick, and it won't be getting any bigger.  :-(

@NVGiant - This hardly has anything to do with the "Pac-16" anymore.  For your convince, you can find us over at a dedicated "FAKE NEWS:  Nevada Southern Land GrandGate" thread:

38 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

and if, in the meantime, SDSU could manage to persuade the state legislature to allow it to offer PhDs independent of the UC system and if our new stadium proves to be a success, we will be the #1 obvious choice if the P14 looks to expand again at the end of this decade.

The PAC is always happy to continue kicking the SDSU can down the road. I don't believe they'll ever relent and accept them in to the club, Unless, of course, there is another Px level conference seriously courting them.  Well, that doesn't look likely at this  point. 

2 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

To plagiarize my own post on the AztecFootball board:

ESPN is correct there are no surefire targets if the P12 should opt to expand. Therefore, the best speculation is to group the schools who have been speculated about.

Will Only Be Considered in An Alternate Universe

BYU and Baylor for political reasons
All current members of the AAC because of geography
All MWC members not named Colorado State, Hawaii, SDSU or UNLV*
West Virginia

Highly Unlikely Because of Geography and Limited TV Eye Potential

Iowa State
Kansas State
TCU

Possible to Probable

Kansas (if not first offered by the B1G)
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech

* For CSU, no chance unless Colorado is first added to the B1G. For Hawaii, the Pac once expressed a desire to control the Pacific Rim including the ability to dominate recruiting of Pacific Islander football players as well as basketball players from the Far East like Yao Ming and UH building a new stadium shouldn't be discounted. For UNLV, it now has a nascent medical school and the gambling thing is no longer an issue.

As I said the other day, I expect the P12 to offer two of the three possible-to-probables. I'm not sure KU would accept but have little doubt OSU and TT would. Then the P14 would sit back and see how things pan out while keeping close tabs on the landscape and if, in the meantime, SDSU could manage to persuade the state legislature to allow it to offer PhDs independent of the UC system and if our new stadium proves to be a success, we will be the #1 obvious choice if the P14 looks to expand again at the end of this decade.

Kudos for your use of the term "nascent."

CSU-Diego is strong enough athletically (barely, thx to more-than-a-decade of strong hoops & underwhelming yet consistent recent f'ball success) & academically.  The big problem is y'all, by zero fault of your own, don't bring any anything NEW to the table:

#1 - The 12-Pack already dominates the SDCo TV DMA

#2 - ¿Why give y'all a recruiting boost in an area they already consider one of their prime recruiting hotbeds?

This situation is by no means "fair," yet it's the landscape Las 'tecas are currently living in.  :-(

I think your best opportunity is, in a case where the 12-Pack needs a travel partner for a stronger candidate to get to an even number.

Q:  ¿Where did UC-boulder I--> B1G come from?  ¿Have you read/heard that anywhere recently?  I'll wait off-air for your responce.

4 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

Here is a day time view of the $2 Billion dollar Madison Square Garden Sphere!

E5tEESAUUAs5VaN?format=jpg&name=medium

8e230fc2-ca5d-4fe5-8d67-b953a1c15641-lar

636537027522770497-Inside-Out-Capture.jp

ahh man typical vegas, you only get 80% of what is implied by the name of the thing

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

8 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I'm sure they would. But I have a link that says the BIg and PAC are talking. I'll replace that link.

B1G means Big Ten. Your link states Big XII.

People, not a fan.

5 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

SB287, passed last month and it formalizes land grant university status for both UNLV and DRI in state statute.

You can agree or disagree but the time to argue it is over.  It is official now.  UNLV is Land Grant University in the State of Nevada!

Given that Carson City's Land Grant scam, has almost ZERO to do w/the "Pac-16," I've moved this comment to the more apt "FAKE NEWS:  Southern Nevada Land GrantGate" thread for you convenience: