Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

Barstool Sports Arizona Bowl - Boise is out

1 minute ago, Headbutt said:

Yeah, that's not how I use it and my use stands.  You (and others) had a very strong reaction to the very notion of Barstool sponsoring a bowl game.  Not a "well, this is a bad idea" reaction, but an "oh my God, NO!!!" reaction.  I saw that as triggered.

Well yeah, it is insane to have institutions of higher learning associated in any way with them.  Portney is vile.  That's not being triggered, anybody with a modicum of decency will say he is vile as well.  

2 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Serious questions.

Could you provide some of the missing context to those quotes that might specifically explain or justify his statements? What is the "more" to it that leads you to say, "it ain't all some really bad comment?"

No I won't.  There is no missing context.  It's pretty straightforward.  "It ain't all some really bad comment.  There is more to it."  Is that hard to understand?  The presented video was cut off after the bad comment.  I doubt the interview ended.  I'm sure there was more.  It's that simple.

Come on man, you were the one that kept on talking about context in multiple posts. Why not defend your position and provide the context? I'm not being accusatorial, just genuinely curious. So as an exercise, let's just say before the video ended he said "lol jk." Does that provide the necessary cover to joke about rape?

Also, by bringing up other people's worse behavior, does that somehow lessen the impact of his behaviors in your opinion? And if not, then why even think it, let alone type it and then post it and then defend it?

That's pretty weak.  Plenty of bad people are defended by the folks that feign offense at Portnoy.  It all seems to depend on your politics (which do belong on another board).  That was not a defense of Portnoy, it was more an indictment of those who would attack him and defend worse people, because it serves their agenda.

Feign offense? Is rape, misogyny, molestation, racism not actually offensive? Or is your position that any criticism leveled at Portnoy's actual statements that came from his actual mouth invalid because of political teams and shit? That seems like some kind of get out of jail free card there man. Why don't we just judge on the merits without any political preconceptions arbitrarily applied. That's just 'easy button' bs, and I can already tell with only a couple interactions that you're way smarter than that. 

When thinking of your honest answers to said questions, please keep in mind that it is ok to be wrong, and that such admissions should not be misconstrued as weakness. In fact it probably is the most bad ass position to take in some instances....like this one. You are a bad ass, right? It's ok bro, be a bad ass!

Thank you for the life advice, but try not to talk down to me kid.  You risk coming off as a f***ing idiot.  And yes, that happened.

Lol, you're welcome man. I can be an asshole for sure, but it ain't personal. I can already tell that we're gonna be friends

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I'm glad you found this place.  It is the last homely house on the internet.

Watch out for @Headbutt is completely reasonable and insightful sporting takes and keep politics to himself (mostly) is just cover for the maniac he truly is.

Thanks man, it's a functionally weird hose and I like it.

Haha, @Headbutt seems like good people for sure. And honestly I think his position is more about just sweeping Portnoy's bs under the rug for a potential opportunity that could benefit the conference. We just disagree on that, and that's cool. 

10 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Yeah, that's not how I use it and my use stands.  You (and others) had a very strong reaction to the very notion of Barstool sponsoring a bowl game.  Not a "well, this is a bad idea" reaction, but an "oh my God, NO!!!" reaction.  I saw that as triggered.

Citation needed

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Planned Parenthood should sponsor a bowl. I'd go, no matter who was in it. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

20 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Planned Parenthood should sponsor a bowl. I'd go, no matter who was in it. 

They made an aborted attempt a few years ago....

XiUk-P.gif

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

26 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Not a Barstool fan by any means and have never seen the appeal, but this is a pretty fascinating gig. They're probably paying more than was being paid before and the audience could be bigger. And as @Headbutt points out, it's kind of a foray into a new frontier in the world of selling broadcasting rights. I'm pretty sure this is the first time this has happened before. It's a pioneering move, and will be wild to see how it plays out and evolves from here.

But is it too much, too early? Looking back, "the Mtn" network totally kicked ass, but might have come around too soon and died off. You could say it laid the groundwork as a proof of concept for the Big Ten or SEC or ACC network

17 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

The logo design does nothing for me. But maybe Barstool fanboys will like it.

Along with all the other reasons this guy is a jackass as others have pointed out, these tweets just is another data point. He is using 2 tweets to talk about how amazing the bowl shirts are like he isnt the one behind the shirts. "I would never take this off"? Then don't. Its your shirt. You can literally wear it everyday. Or get hundreds and wear a new one everyday. You own the bowl and the shirt. Idiot.

1 hour ago, tspoke said:

Along with all the other reasons this guy is a jackass as others have pointed out, these tweets just is another data point. He is using 2 tweets to talk about how amazing the bowl shirts are like he isnt the one behind the shirts. "I would never take this off"? Then don't. Its your shirt. You can literally wear it everyday. Or get hundreds and wear a new one everyday. You own the bowl and the shirt. Idiot.

You probably missed his other comments about the bowl.

Portnoy said Barstool originally just wanted to be title sponsor and let CBS broadcast the bowl. But CBS did not want to work with Barstool.

So Portnoy went off on CBS during his show:

CBS won’t work with us? Kick them the f*ck out, get those f*ckin white-haired…get them out, we’ll do the game ourselves.”

“I think they know we’re gonna eat their lunch and they view us as a competitor. Do you wanna give the hungry wolf fresh meat? Do you want to basically put steroids in your competitor?

18 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

So Portnoy went off on CBS during his show:

CBS won’t work with us? Kick them the f*ck out, get those f*ckin white-haired…get them out, we’ll do the game ourselves.”

“I think they know we’re gonna eat their lunch and they view us as a competitor. Do you wanna give the hungry wolf fresh meat? Do you want to basically put steroids in your competitor?

So, in other words, he does large quantities of mind altering substances...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

He's a douchebag.  I never knew about the rape comments etc because I've never been on that site nor did I care who he was.  When he got interested in trading stocks and the Gamestop debacle happened last January he went on a tirade about how unfair things were and tried to get congress to intervene.  Everything he said was incorrect.  The guy had zero clue about what he was talking about but tried to curry favor with the robinhood crowd and act like a hero to the little guy.  I thought he was a moron then and I think he's a bigger pos since hearing about the rape and other idiotic comments he has made.  I'd have zero problems if any MW school backed out of that bowl.