Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

MW Quarterback Rankings

Curious how everyone sees the QB's across the conference, seems like it could be the best we've seen in a while at the top.

1. Carson Strong (1st round NFL potential with strong WR crew).

2. Nick Starkel (hes ass my dude, but also returning MWC 2nd Teamer)

3. Hank Bachmeier OR Jack Sears (whichever former 4* dude wins the job should put up big numbers this year)

4. Jake Haener (336 ypg in 2020)

5. Chevan Cordeiro (best dual threat dude in the league)

6. SDSU 3-way race (will they be allowed to throw?, got a 4* in Mayden)

7. Tate Martell OR Justin Rogers (couple of former 4* guys here as well)

8. Tevaka Tiuoti et al

9. Sean Chambers (can he be back to 100%, will he still be a 40% completion rate dude?)

10. Haaziq Daniels

11. Whoever gets job at CSU?

12. Bonner OR Peasley at USU?

8. Tevaka Tiuoti et al

Has not, and most likely, will not, be cleared to play football again at UNM. The coach says he'll wait for the docs to decide if he's fit to play. IMO, he is not, and should not be allowed to play again. 3 concussions. with the last one during the 2nd game of 2020, and he's STILL not medically cleared. By all accounts, UNM's expected starting QB will be Kentucky senior transfer Terry Wilson. 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Priority #1 for Chambers is to stay healthy for a full season. 

I think the new offensive coordinator will help put him in better positions to succeed. Too often he was stuck in 3rd and long, and often times there was still a fullback or blocking tight end on those plays.

No chance he'll be all-MW, but I think the offense will go through the qb much more than the past few years.

Hope Strong lives up to the hype! Unlike Allen, he'll still have his favorite weapons for his final season.

11 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

93C0A321-DD16-4EBA-8536-7B44868F9E8B.jpeg

Thanks for pulling up that concise, well-informed post. I truly do have the best, hottest takes on this board.  

image.png.65db14a944eeb047e4e2a27407fdd95a.png

I stand by everything I said! Arroyo changed his stance, not me! He said back in Spring, that they were committed to the QBs they had. Maybe between what he saw from those guys at Spring Camp/Summer Conditioning he figured that ultimately Martell's potential was too much to pass up on. Or he was taking Martell all-along and kept his cards close to his chest and waited as long as possible to prevent Brumfield or Friel exploring their options in the transfer portal. Pretty sneaky!

Martell is a polarizing figure, and whether he turns out to be starting material or not---alot of people are gonna have an eye on him at UNLV. In a season where UNLV is expected to be completely irrelevant, they can use the added publicity.---and who knows?! He could've turned the corner and be the Manziel-esque talent the nation saw on primetime ESPN at Bishop Gorman. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

I question whether someone who ranks Sean Chambers as #9 has actually watched him play or only looked at box scores.  I’ll admit that the best ability is availability and perhaps that justifies a lower ranking.  But healthy - Carson Strong  and maybe Chevan Cordeiro are the only ones on that list that id start over Chambers.  

Also, I put Doug Brumfield in the top 7 due to his raw tools.  Too bad he has the coaching that he has.  

15 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Priority #1 for Chambers is to stay healthy for a full season. 

I think the new offensive coordinator will help put him in better positions to succeed. Too often he was stuck in 3rd and long, and often times there was still a fullback or blocking tight end on those plays.

No chance he'll be all-MW, but I think the offense will go through the qb much more than the past few years.

If Chambers stays healthy and the offense comes together, he absolutely can be all-MWC in this revamped offense.  He is also playing behind the best line Wyoming has probably ever had.    

2 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

If Chambers stays healthy and the offense comes together, he absolutely can be all-MWC in this revamped offense.  He is also playing behind the best line Wyoming has probably ever had.    

QB's are generally judged on their ability to get the ball to receivers.  Chambers was the worst in the MWC at that.  Electric when he takes off though.

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

QB's are generally judged on their ability to get the ball to receivers.  Chambers was the worst in the MWC at that.  Electric when he takes off though.

Tebow won a heisman trophy.  I judge quarterbacks on the value they add to a team.  

16 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Tebow won a heisman trophy.  I judge quarterbacks on the value they add to a team.  

Tim Tebow completed over 66% of his passes in every season he played for Florida and had a QBR of 170+ when he won the Heisman, 32 passing TD's to 6 int's.  Chambers completed 42% of his passes in his one fullest season, had a QBR of 120 and passed for only 7 TD's.  

Does his 560 rushing yards (70 a game) make up for being the worst QB in the conference at getting the ball to other players?  I don't know.  

7 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Tebow completed a hell of a lot more than 40% of his passes, too.

Chambers has never completed more than 9 passes in a game.  I think he could be one of the best QB's in the MWC and out West in general if he can figure out how to get the ball to his teammates.  He's fun to watch run.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Chambers has never completed more than 9 passes in a game.  I think he could be one of the best QB's in the MWC and out West in general if he can figure out how to get the ball to his teammates.  He's fun to watch run.

Yeah, and no doubt his 6.3 yards per carry (2019) is incredibly valuable.  If you've got a QB and RB who can both do that, no need to throw it that much.  That year Chambers averaged 17.6 yards per passing completion.  43% completion rate brings that down to 7.6 per attempt. 

If Wyoming can control the game with it's running game like they did in 2019, but also increase the success rate in the passing game, they'll be super dangerous.  Like all returning injured players though, I think it will be tough for Chambers to keep the agility he once had.

8 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Yeah, and no doubt his 6.3 yards per carry (2019) is incredibly valuable.  If you've got a QB and RB who can both do that, no need to throw it that much.  That year Chambers averaged 17.6 yards per passing completion.  43% completion rate brings that down to 7.6 per attempt. 

If Wyoming can control the game with it's running game like they did in 2019, but also increase the success rate in the passing game, they'll be super dangerous.  Like all returning injured players though, I think it will be tough for Chambers to keep the agility he once had.

According to Chambers, he debated medically retiring.  https://7220sports.com/sean-chambers-considered-giving-up-football-after-latest-injury/

IF he is back to the way he was in 2019, big if, and he has developed even a little in the passing game, he should have a good year.  I consider him a big question mark.  Could thrive, could really struggle.  

59 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Thanks for pulling up that concise, well-informed post. I truly do have the best, hottest takes on this board.  

image.png.65db14a944eeb047e4e2a27407fdd95a.png

I stand by everything I said! Arroyo changed his stance, not me! He said back in Spring, that they were committed to the QBs they had. Maybe between what he saw from those guys at Spring Camp/Summer Conditioning he figured that ultimately Martell's potential was too much to pass up on. Or he was taking Martell all-along and kept his cards close to his chest and waited as long as possible to prevent Brumfield or Friel exploring their options in the transfer portal. Pretty sneaky!

Martell is a polarizing figure, and whether he turns out to be starting material or not---alot of people are gonna have an eye on him at UNLV. In a season where UNLV is expected to be completely irrelevant, they can use the added publicity.---and who knows?! He could've turned the corner and be the Manziel-esque talent the nation saw on primetime ESPN at Bishop Gorman. 

Can you be more specific? Which year/sport are you talking about again? 

From what we heard about his passing game going into last season, it did sound like Chambers improved. But him going down on his 3rd play really didn't let us see that. But I do agree, that if his passing game becomes about half as dangerous as his run game (jokes about completion percentage aside), he'll be incredibly dangerous.