Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruininthebay

Pac 12 doesn't care about Texas and Oklahoma going to the SEC - convince me I'm wrong.

43 minutes ago, happycamper said:

you make @smltwnrckr look concise bro

200w (1).gif

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

12 minutes ago, happycamper said:

meh. most of the big 10's graduate programs blow the doors off of anyone in cali not named UCLA or Cal. That includes schools you wouldn't think of like Illinois. That's a lot better metric for academic rigor than undergrad acceptance rate imo. 

If the question is relatability to the general population the in-State acceptance rate as an undergrad is the most appropriate measure.  BTW you really left Stanford off your list??  USC maybe.  

4 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

If the question is relatability to the general population the in-State acceptance rate as an undergrad is the most appropriate measure.  BTW you really left Stanford off your list??  USC maybe.  

Illinois is rated higher than Stanford in civil engineering. :banhammer:

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

Sure shall we compare every other graduate school😁

Sure. Between Purdue, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, NW, Iowa?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, sactowndog said:

Haha is Journalism your next compare 😁

I mean, math, engineering, medicine, writing, history...

The big 10 is stacked. 

3 hours ago, RebelAlliance said:

Here's their own Common Data Set.  Their own numbers.  For ease and quickness, I used google's numbers.  The most recent UCLA common data set says 1290-1510.  FWIW, the median SAT score at Chicago is 1505.  If you think it's harder to get into UCLA than Princeton or Chicago (5% acceptance rates), I don't know what to say.  A case study of 1 doesn't prove shit.  As for GPA, I'm not sure it tells much anymore.  In an era of rampant grade inflation and parents showing up with lawyers to student-parent meetings doesn't mean a lot to me.  Class rank matters though, and the Master Plan admission requirements definitely boost Cal and UCLA's profile. 

OTOH, Michigan is notorious for being a safety school for rich kids from the Northeast and Chicago who don't get into Princeton or Chicago.  So they might have a 4.4 and 1460 SAT, but they might not rank in the top 10 percent of the highly competitive high schools they attended.  

As for SDSU, your university's own numbers say that 46% of the freshman class had lower than a 3.75, and 32% didn't graduate in the top quarter of their high school class.

UCLA is the toughest public school in the USA to get into most years. The acceptance rate at Cal and UCLA are very low and the applicants very high.  They are public Ivys. What does that mean? It means you get an education comparable to an Ivy League school while paying public school prices. That makes them extremely popular. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

2 hours ago, Someone Else said:

I read over the information you linked and SDSU's GPA information listed is using a 4.0 scale... hard to be above 4.00 when that is done.  

I actually live in CA and while Fowl might be exaggerating a bit... getting into UCLA, Cal, most UCs is pretty tough and it's pretty difficult to get into SDSU too (not as difficult as UC schools).  It's because of the number of applicants.  All of those CA schools can be more selective because so many apply.

SDSU is a very difficult school to get into. Not when compared to most UC schools (I would have to see the data for all UC schools to make say more) but still the most desirable school in the CSU system be far. You do seem to have some sort of issue with SDSU, can you say why?

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Good to be born in the 1980 class.  Cal accepted 50% of its students then.  It is very different now.  

I guess you missed the point about being an athlete. Athletic scholarship to UCI, went to transfer to UCLA and was accepted though injuries and the fact I would have to redshirt and live in LA made me rethink my decision.

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

meh. most of the big 10's graduate programs blow the doors off of anyone in cali not named UCLA or Cal. That includes schools you wouldn't think of like Illinois. That's a lot better metric for academic rigor than undergrad acceptance rate imo. 

That's not really true. Grad programs get really specific and can vary over time. Once you get to the PhD level, we're talking differences based on sub-disciplines and specialty areas. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

UCLA is the toughest public school in the USA to get into most years. The acceptance rate at Cal and UCLA are very low and the applicants very high.  They are public Ivys. What does that mean? It means you get an education comparable to an Ivy League school while paying public school prices. That makes them extremely popular. 

No doubt, and much of the Big Ten are also Public Ivy's. I believe this is the most recent map:

image.png.851ff00063388e7ce9349c2fc11e801e.png

11/13 Big Ten public schools make the cut compared to 5/10 Pac 12 public universities. The California schools would be moving into a higher tier academically if they joined the Big 10, something that would be attractive for their university presidents and faculty. 

54 minutes ago, Aztec1984 said:

SDSU is a very difficult school to get into. Not when compared to most UC schools (I would have to see the data for all UC schools to make say more) but still the most desirable school in the CSU system be far. You do seem to have some sort of issue with SDSU, can you say why?

Where do you get that I have some sort of an issue with SDSU?  I said the exact same thing you did.  It's a difficult school to get into but not as difficult as most UC schools. Academically SDSU is very strong. It's that way because so many students want to go there so of course the standards can be higher...not in the league of UCLA or CAL or Stanford (etc) but very good none the less.

I actually defended them in the post you quoted.  I pointed out the GPA rate quoted was based on a 4.0 scale and not the 5.0 scale that the other poster was trying to compare it to.

Anyway I know a bit about the CA schools for a number of reasons which I don't think are important to the discussion.  I live in CA. I am here because I am interested in possibly finding out where this whole mess might be going in the shorter term.   In the long term I don't believe it will end well for most schools in regards to sports...

..but the one thing about life is change is inevitable so it's best to learn to deal with it.  

3 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Stanford engineering isn’t too bad.   It only generated Silicon Valley.  

Nope.  What generated Silicon Valley was a gigantic pile of post-war taxpayer dollars funneled into the military industrial complex. Stanford happened to be the lucky bystander. 

Some of you guys are hilarious. One moment you hate the UC system out of pure jealousy, and the next you defend it to the death in some "Stockholm Syndrome" way because they told you once that they didn't want you.

15 hours ago, bigd said:

No doubt, and much of the Big Ten are also Public Ivy's. I believe this is the most recent map:

image.png.851ff00063388e7ce9349c2fc11e801e.png

11/13 Big Ten public schools make the cut compared to 5/10 Pac 12 public universities. The California schools would be moving into a higher tier academically if they joined the Big 10, something that would be attractive for their university presidents and faculty. 

that map is wrong

Purdue is missing

Miami Ohio is not in the AAU neither are Delaware, U Conn, W&M, Georgia

it is mission GT, Utah, and the two UC schools just added

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law