Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruininthebay

Pac 12 doesn't care about Texas and Oklahoma going to the SEC - convince me I'm wrong.

12 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Bingo.  Call me when they get, and accept, an invite elsewhere.  Until then, they're just pretending to be Boise on a big boy scale.

They’ve just taken the first step this morning, there’s no going back. This is going to happen. 

13 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I find expansion super interesting…. When there is new information to digest. Now I am officially in IDGAF mode until OU and UT decide what they are going to do. 

13 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Bingo.  Call me when they get, and accept, an invite elsewhere.  Until then, they're just pretending to be Boise on a big boy scale.

When all the dust settles UT and OU just might find themselves still in the Big XII but with a Gonzaga/Boise style sweetheart deal.  In reality this might be an even worse outcome for the rest of the BIG XII schools than UT and OU leaving.

10 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

When all the dust settles UT and OU just might find themselves still in the Big XII but with a Gonzaga/Boise style sweetheart deal.  In reality this might be an even worse outcome for the rest of the BIG XII schools than UT and OU leaving.

With OU and UT informing the conference this morning, it seems clear they are going to leave. If they were going to stay, they'd still be negotiating with the conference; they had the meeting yesterday offering them the "sweetheart deal." 

For the PAC, I agree that expansion will not help them. I think the fear for the PAC is trying to keep teams in the conference -- either the alleged talks between the B1G and six of the PAC schools or the fact that the SEC is talking to USC (and perhaps others). The SEC goal does appear to get all the top teams in their conference and make an "SEC Division" the top level of Division 1 football, a step above FBS and FCS.

16 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think they really care enough about competing with the SEC Hillbillies to throw everything into flux. The old boy alumni networks at those places aren't going to allow them to jettison their trips to the Bay Area and Seattle for trips instead to places like Lincoln, Iowa City, or Bloomington.

I know people who'd know these sorts of things. That's my source on it. With that said, some of the speculation on here makes me wonder if many didn't spend the weekend imbibing in sacraments at the Mushroom Church in Oakland.

I think the BIG would take at least 6 schools.

00126-SDSUvArizona-main.jpg

I feel the worst for Iowa State.  A historically awful football program that had turned the corner.  Matt Campbell had spurned offers from more prominent programs to stay in Ames.  Now, I don't see how Matt Campbell can stay at ISU.  For those that think the B1G is adding ISU, they aren't, they just aren't.

Call me naive but I don't think there will be wholesale changes.  16 team conferences don't make sense to me.  Too many mouths to feed.  Why would the Big 12 collapse?  Just add 2 & they're fine.  Probably Cincy/Houston or BYU/CSU.  If the MWC loses members most likely add NMS &/or some of the lower Tx schools?  Nobody likes the idea but it is what it is.  I think the Pac12 stays pat.  No religious schools & no State schools & big on academics.  Plus I still think location counts for something.  But they have to fix the cable problem.  I'm in the West but I get the SEC & BIG but not the Pac12 network?  That's crazy & has cost them a lot in revenue & Cali kids going to the SEC.      

6 minutes ago, wolfan8431 said:

Call me naive but I don't think there will be wholesale changes.  16 team conferences don't make sense to me.  Too many mouths to feed.  Why would the Big 12 collapse?  Just add 2 & they're fine.  Probably Cincy/Houston or BYU/CSU.  If the MWC loses members most likely add NMS &/or some of the lower Tx schools?  Nobody likes the idea but it is what it is.  I think the Pac12 stays pat.  No religious schools & no State schools & big on academics.  Plus I still think location counts for something.  But they have to fix the cable problem.  I'm in the West but I get the SEC & BIG but not the Pac12 network?  That's crazy & has cost them a lot in revenue & Cali kids going to the SEC.      

This, it's Houston and Cinci mark my words... and that's even if the other two leave, I also think it's a shake down, Texas and Ok tired of feeding the mouths of lesser programs. 

Just now, Joe from WY said:

who though?

I don't see it happening.

All the CA schools, OR and WA. UofC would be worth looking at as well. Perhaps don't bring either CAL or Stanford (neither draw well for football) and create a pod of four 5 team divisions - UoC would move to the Midwest with NB, IA, and two others.

00126-SDSUvArizona-main.jpg

This isnt a shakedown, its a follow the money.  Becoming pretty clear that when the conference tried to engage the networks in some preliminary talks on the next deal, the numbers they saw were not what they wanted - at least to UT and OU.  Then the SEC scored their new ESPN midday deal, and the die was cast.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

It's a shakedown in the sense they saw that study and are now angling to use leaving as leverage to get a Boise-esque deal, which the other plebes of the conference will only probably be too happy to go along with given those two are their cash cows.

They are leaving to a much better conference that rakes in more cash unless A&M can finds the votes to stop it.  No Boise State deal will prevent it.  Now we get to see how the other big boy conferences react.  Everything is pointing to the P5 schools officially breaking away for football in the near future in my opinion.  

9 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

You guys speak in absolutes and it's crazy. We don't know what's happening.

It's pretty clear UT and OU are bolting to the SEC.  What happens after that is a whole lot of speculation,  68 pages and counting on the other thread.

On 7/26/2021 at 2:56 PM, Joe from WY said:

Kal and UCLA aren't going to split, nor is the Big 10 likely to pull off any of the others. The Big 10 may want whatever they want, but as the old saying goes, you can wish in one hand and shit in the other and one generally fills up faster.

As I said, either Cal or Stanford. The SEC is going to make a ton off their new contract with UT and OK. If you aren't moving during this time, you are getting passed.

Who does the BIG add that moves the dial. There are rumors that the SEC has approached OSU and MI as well.

Not sure there is a helluva lot of love between UCLA and Cal. Cal did try to block the Los Angeles Normal School from become a University of California school back in the day. Anyway, money talks, loudly.

6 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

They’ve just taken the first step this morning, there’s no going back. This is going to happen. 

They announced that they won't be signing a new GOR.  That is all.  It doesn't mean they won't stay without one, or a thousand other options.  Texas has 4 years to change her mind.  Sure I think some things will change, we've known that was coming for years.  I still say that TX/OU isn't a slam dunk to the SEC.  In fact, I can see a lot more CFB landscaping before that occurs, even though they probably triggered it.  Show me the invite and acceptance of membership, then we can guess at the next domino.

5 hours ago, raadsel said:

With OU and UT informing the conference this morning, it seems clear they are going to leave. If they were going to stay, they'd still be negotiating with the conference; they had the meeting yesterday offering them the "sweetheart deal." 

For the PAC, I agree that expansion will not help them. I think the fear for the PAC is trying to keep teams in the conference -- either the alleged talks between the B1G and six of the PAC schools or the fact that the SEC is talking to USC (and perhaps others). The SEC goal does appear to get all the top teams in their conference and make an "SEC Division" the top level of Division 1 football, a step above FBS and FCS.

I don’t think we know for sure they are leaving. I think I remember Boise State and San Diego State telling the Mountain West they were leaving, but they are still here.  Signs are pointing to them leaving, but it isn’t a lock yet. See the English Premier League fiasco.