Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruininthebay

Pac 12 doesn't care about Texas and Oklahoma going to the SEC - convince me I'm wrong.

Speculation about the Pac 12 having any interest in Kansas or Iowa State is only reasonable on the basis that they are peer institutions to Pac 12 schools.  However that doesn't mean that they would make a good Pac 12 member for the following reasons:

1) Regardless of the academic prowess of KU or Iowa State, the SEC and the B1G having more revenue just isn't a problem that administrators in the Pac 12 have respond to like administrators in the Central time zone do because that has basically been the case over the past five years and there is no great outrage among Pac 12 fan bases (even SUC).  Moreover, the athletic department has very little influence with their administration after all the recents scandals at the institution located in the shadow of the LA coliseum right now.

2) The diminution of the Big 12 will just increase the certainty that our conference champ will receive at least a top 4 seed and a bye in the CFP so there is no reason related to the CFP to expand.

3) Upcoming media negotiations are more promising because the  Big 12 is not competing with the Pac 12 like they would if Texas and Oklahoma stayed in the Big 12.

4) Players will earn name, image and likeness money in LA, the SF Bay, Seattle, Portland, Denver, Seattle and Phoenix because these are top 20 ish media markets https://mediatracks.com/resources/nielsen-dma-rankings-2020/  while the remaining Big 12 members are either secondary in their own media market to SEC or Big Ten schools or are in a media market of no real significance.  

5) The Pac 12 already has Oregon State and Washington State who are challenged to generate media revenue.  It is concerning that increased revenue from the current media rights agreement hasn't solved either OSU or WSU budget problems; keeping up with the rest of the conference is a money pit for both universities that gets bigger in absolute terms as the overall conferences revenue increases.  Personally I would like to see OSU and WSU 'spun off' with support payments to the MW so they can compete without chronic resource disparities that burden the schools overall finances too much.

Just stop speculating about the Pac 12 expanding because it isn't going to happen.

I don't think the Pac-12 has any expansion moves to make. I mean the one move was to add Texas/Oklahoma but that is off the board as those schools picked the SEC.

At this point just staying pat and trying to keep your schools seems to be the move. If you lose schools then add some more. I mean it wouldn't be great but even if the Pac-12 got gutted (say USC/UCLA to Big-10) they are still the #1 conference in the west and they have a bunch of schools that would instantly accept an invitation (BYU, and little-5 school, any Big-12 school that doesn't have an offer from another Big-4 conference).  

So if I was the Pac-12 I won't feel that comfortable will all the expansion talk but at the same time I don't really think there is anything (in terms of expansion) for the Pac-12 to do. 

Well the PAC 12 might not care (and I certainly believe that some members thing like that), but USC certainly cares and I know that if USC did something UCLA would be right there with them and most likely Oregon and UW as well

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Article/Mike-Bohn-USC-AD-Pac-12-financial-struggles-Larry-Scott-independent-leave-conference-144248076/

nothing is off the table for USC

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

With UT/OU going to the SEC, USC's options have been whittled down to one:  independence.  There is zero chance that they join the B1G for many reasons.  Now joining up with UT/OU in the Bug 12 is gone.  So it's independence and throw the olys into the MWC/BWC which would be extremely unpopular given they have won 133 national championships in those sports.

The article you link in turn links to a podcast from February 202 when Larry Scott was still the commissioner and no successor to the Pac 12 has been announced.

USC may still be concerned about revenue but reasons 1, 2, 3 and 5 in OP all indicate the Big 12 imploding helps both USC and the Pac 12 

Current Pac 12 commissioner George Kliavkoff was interviewed on this topic by Jon Wilner yesterday https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/pac-12-commissioner-george-kliavkoff-talks-realignment-if-the-big-12-folds-cfp-expansion-media-strategy-and-more/

“I consider the Pac-12 an exclusive club with a high barrier to entry,’’ Kliavkoff said Thursday when asked about a Houston Chronicle report indicating that Big 12 anchors Texas and Oklahoma are interested in joining the SEC.

“I love the schools and the teams we have today. We are not actively seeking to poach any teams from any conferences. But we’d be foolish not to listen if schools call us.”

I know when the article was from and the new commissioner can say anything he wishes, but that does not put money into the pocket of USC nor does it make WSU, Oregon State, CU, Cal and others more competitive or in a better financial place

the PAC 12 has the highest debt load per member by far, they have the most number of teams with the highest academic side subsidies by far, they have the most teams earning the least especially after subsidies and they have the most teams running an annual deficit even with academic side subsidies

USC wants more than lip service to address that

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

I agree with both the OP.  As a conference, there is no reason to react to this.   There are no teams that the PAC12 would be interested in taking.  

I do see the potential that both USC and possibly Oregon wanting to make a big move.... this would mean leaving the PAC12, not forcing the PAC12 to add.

And I just don't see UCLA trying to follow USC.  They are completely different institutions.

I'll say this, if Texas & OU go to the SEC and USC & Oregon follow either to the SEC or B10 then the eventual result will be one super conference of elite money schools.  I have no idea how many teams would be part of this but I don't think everyone who has the opportunity is going to jump at the chance.  I'll say again, due to NIL things are going to change drastically.

13 minutes ago, Someone Else said:

I'll say again, due to NIL things are going to change drastically.

Yep. I thought we were eventually headed to a super conference(s) or NFL lite but the NIL is just making the process faster. 

Honestly I WANT to big boys just to hurry up and break off. That way the rest of us can move on and try to bring something back that resembles the old college sports. 

Maybe they should do 8 five team conferences (40 schools total). The conferences would be regional. Conference champs get auto bid to playoff (8 bids) plus 8 at large bids. This assures every region will have at least one team in the playoffs. You play your conference (4 games) and two other conferences (equals 10 OOC games). Conference rotate their OOC every year. This keeps things fresh cause it would take like 8 years to do a full cycle (ie play every conference home and away during your OOC). So 14 games regular season plus 16 team playoff. Every teams plays between 14-18 games a season. 

At this point there are no reasonable additions to the PAC that make them any better, or increase their revenue stream. They either stand pat or lose members. Even losing members unless it’s WSU and OSU makes no sense. They would jettison those two schools to the MWC if their compact let them. IMO they stand pat. 

8 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

At this point there are no reasonable additions to the PAC that make them any better, or increase their revenue stream. They either stand pat or lose members. Even losing members unless it’s WSU and OSU makes no sense. They would jettison those two schools to the MWC if their compact let them. IMO they stand pat. 

The PAC-12 is more apt to get poached that to poach. You are right, nothing they can add would make them better. But, getting rid of OSU, WSA and ASU makes them better merged to, say, the BIG. Perhaps even losing AZ as well.

1 hour ago, Fowl said:

With UT/OU going to the SEC, USC's options have been whittled down to one:  independence.  There is zero chance that they join the B1G for many reasons.  Now joining up with UT/OU in the Bug 12 is gone.  So it's independence and throw the olys into the MWC/BWC which would be extremely unpopular given they have won 133 national championships in those sports.

The moment USC fans visit  Laramie/Bakersfield, they will be swept off their feet. 

13 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

It won't happen but won't it be funny if kicking out members was the Pac-12 best move?

-kick out WSU/OSU 

-tv partners agree not to decrease current tv deal

-take those two shares of tv revenue (WSU/OSU) and use them basically as bonuses. Rewards schools for performance or importance to conference.

-Increase buyout to leave conference to 100 million

-Change the bylaws so in order to kick out a member in the future the vote must be unanimous. Ie it will be impossible to kick out any members in the future as the school in question would never vote themselves out of the conference   

MW takes OSU/WSU to get to 14 members and helps to protect them from members leaving to the crippled Big-12. 

I read an interesting piece/blurb in a conventional news report...ESPN I do recall...that once all the dust settles ACC and PAC may form an alliance of 32 teams.  I would dig it up and post it but I definitely read it.  This is interesting even though it's just an ESPN op-ed type of scribe.  PAC with 12 and ACC with 14.5 (quasi Notre Dame).  Who are the other 5.5 members of this Super Alliance?  It definitely published 32...implying 16 on each side.  Maybe 32.5 if Notre Dame keeps its half foot in it all and its very fine standalone NBC deal. 

Even ESPN can publish funky fun stuff during domino dominant speculation times....

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

OSU just fed the PAC some nice ncaa BB money along with multiple ncaa baseball championships. That is more then some other members have done.

Nobody needs to convince you.  You are wrong - they ALL care.  Whether they care enough to do something, or are in a position TO do something, that's the issue.

The Pac 12 and the ACC care the most.  They find themselves falling even farther behind.  But also know there may not be much they can do about it.

Big 10 finds itself in the more enviable position where sitting tight is probably the best move.  They are already printing money, and a new TV deal is just around the corner.  With both TV giants wanting to keep their part of the action.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

USC has their commissioner to do their bidding.  They’re not leaving!!!

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

42 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I find expansion super interesting…. When there is new information to digest. Now I am officially in IDGAF mode until OU and UT decide what they are going to do. 

Bingo.  Call me when they get, and accept, an invite elsewhere.  Until then, they're just pretending to be Boise on a big boy scale.