Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

New Space Jam movie expected to lose 140+ million. Won't air in China.

6 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Yeah just how it felt to me.  I'm not really into the fantasy style scifi as much.  Dudes traveling the galaxy but fighting with knives just seems dumb to me.

Project Hail Mary (same author as The Martian) is going to make a hell of a movie (in development starring Ryan Gosling).  I bet a lot of the space nerds on this board would like those books.

Apparently the sequel books get real weird and take interesting turns to complicate the hero family in book 1. The idea of it sounds cool, but the way the first one is written left me cold.

I liked the Martian movie more than the book, so I’ll look for that one.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

5 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I liked the Martian movie more than the book, so I’ll look for that one.

Agreed.  I read the book after watching the movie and felt it ruined the book.

Another interesting modern sci fi series is We are Legion (We are Bob).  It's kind of cheesy with pop culture references, but I liked the first book as it was conceptually interesting. Haven't started on the next ones.

16 hours ago, Bob said:

You are the only person who I have heard say they liked it 

I watched the first one like 2 weeks ago with my girls so I had properly calibrated my expectations

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

23 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I thought the first one was incredibly stupid when I was a kid so have no intention of watching this one.

They pissed off all the closeted furry folk.  Now look at em.  Never +++++ the furries.  

don't lie halfman you would love to +++++ you some furries

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

23 minutes ago, renoskier said:

for what?

didn't see either 1 or 2 :shrug:

Saw both.  First with my niece second with daughter of a girl I was seeing.

First was a good movie.

Second was weird.  Story line did not make sense.  Seemed like a money grab more than anything. Almost like it was a little influenced by writers trying to be woke yet were actually problematic and racist.  Tried to play on complex topics  for parents while appealing to 5 year old girls and their older sisters who saw the first one.  Exploitation of resources by an colonial power, cautioning against blind faith in your countries founders.  The root of all your woes and troubles stems from white colonizers exploiting resources, changing the climate, murdering your leaders and keeping secrets. 

Meanwhile they inadvertently included racist tropes and the "art" itself was problematic in the roots of the story more than its telling.  It played on the whole "noble savage" and Polygenism.  The two mixed race princesses were white as white as white can be.  Like Irish and Norwegian.  

Oh and did I mention the entire story made no sense?

22 hours ago, renoskier said:

for what?

didn't see either 1 or 2 :shrug:

1 was undeniably a good children’s movie. 2 was undeniably a piece of crap. Halfman covered it pretty well.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

22 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

First was a good movie.

Second was weird.  Story line did not make sense.  Seemed like a money grab more than anything. Almost like it was a little influenced by writers trying to be woke yet were actually problematic and racist.  Tried to play on complex topics  for parents while appealing to 5 year old girls and their older sisters who saw the first one.  Exploitation of resources by an colonial power, cautioning against blind faith in your countries founders.  The root of all your woes and troubles stems from white colonizers exploiting resources, changing the climate, murdering your leaders and keeping secrets. 

Meanwhile they inadvertently included racist tropes and the "art" itself was problematic in the roots of the story more than its telling.  It played on the whole "noble savage" and Polygenism.  The two mixed race princesses were white as white as white can be.  Like Irish and Norwegian.  

And the solution was for the ruling princess to destroy and decimate everything her people had, leaving them destitute and destined to starve en masse, but it’s averted cuz magic.

Actually that stupidity almost makes sense in the context of every other dumb thing they were going for.

On 7/23/2021 at 9:10 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

First was a good movie.

Wasn’t the other “race” just based on the Sami people? Sami people have a distinct look, but they are still white.

On 7/24/2021 at 10:00 PM, SalinasSpartan said:

Wasn’t the other “race” just based on the Sami people? Sami people have a distinct look, but they are still white.

Yes. And they consulted with Sami people to make a relevant and culturally appropriate framework. And the entire "the dam was a plot all along" story line was just a historical event repurposed.

halfman showing his ass in terms of historical ignorance lol

On 7/24/2021 at 7:19 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

And the solution was for the ruling princess to destroy and decimate everything her people had, leaving them destitute and destined to starve en masse, but it’s averted cuz magic.

Actually that stupidity almost makes sense in the context of every other dumb thing they were going for.

they couldn't make fire lol your criticism kinda ignores that part

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

Yes. And they consulted with Sami people to make a relevant and culturally appropriate framework. And the entire "the dam was a plot all along" story line was just a historical event repurposed.

halfman showing his ass in terms of historical ignorance lol

The point is it did not fit into the universe that the first story established.  It was just kind of forced in, the entire plot.  An attempt to provide a meaningful parallel to colonialism through narrative in a children's princess movie turned into a parody, a caricature. 

I don't watch my Disney princess movies to get their political takes.  Shut up and sing!

:whistle:

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The point is it did not fit into the universe that the first story established.  It was just kind of forced in, the entire plot.  An attempt to provide a meaningful parallel to colonialism through narrative in a children's princess movie turned into a parody, a caricature. 

I don't watch my Disney princess movies to get their political takes.  Shut up and sing!

:whistle:

What are you talking about? The first story happened in two days.  We had enough time to learn:

• There are southern isles
  • there is a trading country
  • Arendelle is small but independent

Not bad for 36 hours of story

Trust me halfman, you are going to lose this discussion. You probably have less than 1% of the Frozen and Frozen 2 watch time that I have. 

3 minutes ago, happycamper said:

What are you talking about? The first story happened in two days.  We had enough time to learn:

• There are southern isles
  • there is a trading country
  • Arendelle is small but independent

Not bad for 36 hours of story

Trust me halfman, you are going to lose this discussion. You probably have less than 1% of the Frozen and Frozen 2 watch time that I have. 

Why was all this back story not in the first movie?  Where is the big bad?  The running proposal thing?  Should you REALLY be marrying a woman who you can't communicate with for two minutes? 

We all know what Frozen 3 will look like.  Anna gets fat and mean, Kristoff gets drunk and bitter, Elsa finally gets on Lithium and confuses the names of her nieces and nephews with her cats.  The magic river is in danger due to climate change, all the statues of King Angnarr get torn down and Olaf was a woman the entire time.

16 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Why was all this back story not in the first movie?

Because it takes place over 36 hours lol. The first movie has the immediate threat of dealing with magic at all and the weakness of a kingdom without a present, functioning leader. After that a ruled kingdom has matters of state to attend to. 

Where is the big bad?  The running proposal thing?  Should you REALLY be marrying a woman who you can't communicate with for two minutes? 

...What? The big bad is the socioeconomic conditions created by people in the past that nonetheless need to be addressed. I suppose you could say that the magical spirits are the "big bad" but that would be like calling physics the "big bad" in Gravity. You don't kill a force of nature, you just learn how to deal with it. 

We all know what Frozen 3 will look like. 

direct to video

Anna gets fat and mean, Kristoff gets drunk and bitter,

with how horny anna is? nah

Elsa finally gets on Lithium and confuses the names of her nieces and nephews with her cats. 

Why would a semi-divine ghost get on lithium?

The magic river is in danger due to climate change,

river isn't magic, bro

all the statues of King Angnarr get torn down and

all 1? 

Olaf was a woman the entire time.

gotta be kind of a maniac to insist on the gender of magic snow, halfman

5 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Because it takes place over 36 hours lol. The first movie has the immediate threat of dealing with magic at all and the weakness of a kingdom without a present, functioning leader. After that a ruled kingdom has matters of state to attend to. 

...What? The big bad is the socioeconomic conditions created by people in the past that nonetheless need to be addressed. I suppose you could say that the magical spirits are the "big bad" but that would be like calling physics the "big bad" in Gravity. You don't kill a force of nature, you just learn how to deal with it. 

direct to video

with how horny anna is? nah

Why would a semi-divine ghost get on lithium?

river isn't magic, bro

all 1? 

gotta be kind of a maniac to insist on the gender of magic snow, halfman

You keep saying it takes place over 36 hours and while the main plot does, a lot of time was spent on the back story leading up to it. 

In a movie tailored to 6 year old girls, the big bad being socioeconomic conditions from past colonialism is just dumb.  Sure it can be those things, but throw in a witch or a possessed prince or something tangible. 

Anna is horny?

River is totes magic https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Ahtohallan

If you can not see that Elsa is mentally disturbed, not sure what to tell ya.   

12 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You keep saying it takes place over 36 hours and while the main plot does, a lot of time was spent on the back story leading up to it. 

A tight hour 45 is perfect. you want every movie to the avengers or some shit?

In a movie tailored to 6 year old girls, the big bad being socioeconomic conditions from past colonialism is just dumb.  Sure it can be those things, but throw in a witch or a possessed prince or something tangible. 

yeah makes sense 6 year olds are never the victims of colonialism

Anna is horny?

she was so horned up in the first movie she wanted to marry the first dude who ever talked to her and as soon as elsa and olaf fall asleep she coyly asks Kristoff "so.... what do you want to do?"

That is a magic glacier. And it doesn't do anything other than be a macguffin related to the spirits. Once they are satisfied, its relevance ends. 

If you can not see that Elsa is mentally disturbed, not sure what to tell ya.   

She's dead, homeskillet. She died in Ahtohallan and rose as the spirit beast/avatar/thing. It is debateable if she even has a mind at this point

5 minutes ago, happycamper said:

A tight hour 45 is perfect. you want every movie to the avengers or some shit?

yeah makes sense 6 year olds are never the victims of colonialism

she was so horned up in the first movie she wanted to marry the first dude who ever talked to her and as soon as elsa and olaf fall asleep she coyly asks Kristoff "so.... what do you want to do?"

That is a magic glacier. And it doesn't do anything other than be a macguffin related to the spirits. Once they are satisfied, its relevance ends. 

She's dead, homeskillet. She died in Ahtohallan and rose as the spirit beast/avatar/thing. It is debateable if she even has a mind at this point

The fact that fans have no clue if Elsa is alive or dead or what is proof the movie was a confusing mess.

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The fact that fans have no clue if Elsa is alive or dead or what is proof the movie was a confusing mess.

No YOU had no clue that Elsa was dead. For the intended adult audience it's obvious at the ~27th viewing. I've known Elsa is dead for hundreds of hours of Frozen II.