Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

Finally a National Conference (AAC+West Wing) Seems Inevitable

It looks like Texas/OU to the SEC has legs, in which case the shifting starts again.

The Big 12 will likely pick up UC, UH, UCF, USF

Which means the National Concept (originally explored by the Big East, as well as Hair/CUSA) will form to create the next contender league.

This will be good for the MWC basketball teams that go.

So, it’s likely the National Conference will go to primarily divisional play in Olympic Sports, with probably SDSU, Boise, UNLV, CSU and AFA (FB only) making up the rest of the American West with Wichita State, SMU, etc.

Rice University will try to grab an AAC spot, if not they’ll be the obvious MWC play.

BYU may factor in as well in the American National Conference.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JTalty/status/1417940823958827016

3mxsBs3.jpg

9 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

No MWC team is joining an AAC that is raided of those 4 teams.  Boise already told you no with those teams, twice.

LMFAO at the idea BYU would joing. 

@Jack Bauer

You’re ignoring history.

John Marrinato, Hair Thompson, and Brittan Banowsky, were dead set on creating a contender league. There will ALWAYS be a push to consolidate the next highest level league.

The 5th poaches the 6th and the 6th poaches the 7th. The AAC West Wing was always inevitable based on how big it could get to allow more robust divisional play.

This is how the West teams escape such a big population problem and improve basketball/access to media markets..

3mxsBs3.jpg

3 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

You’re ignoring history.

John Marrinato, Hair Thompson, and Brittan Banowsky, were dead set on creating a contender league. There will ALWAYS be a push to consolidate the next highest level league.

The 5th poaches the 6th and the 6th poaches the 7th. The AAC West Wing was always inevitable based on how big it could get to allow more robust divisional play.

This is how the West teams escape such a big population problem and improve basketball/access.

The AAC without those teams is the MAC.  They won't be poaching anybody from here.

1 minute ago, NorCalCoug said:

BYU in that watered down version of the AAC????

7E39F88B-F93D-4499-9CE3-8B3711337C7B.gif

This is BYUs dream scenario because it essentially scrapes the cream off the top of the MWC to take with it, essentially making the AAC jump optimal - while avoiding the dregs of the MWC.

3mxsBs3.jpg

I think BYU would be the Big 12s first choice, followed by UC, UH (to get its Texas footprint back) and then UCF. 

If that happens, i would hope Hair would try to poach SMU and maybe Memphis or someone. If Big 12 doesn't take BYU, then SMU and BYU would be good.

Just now, denali said:

I think BYU would be the Big 12s first choice, followed by UC, UH (to get its Texas footprint back) and then UCF. 

If that happens, i would hope Hair would try to poach SMU and maybe Memphis or someone. If Big 12 doesn't take BYU, then SMU and BYU would be good.

You forget that it’s ESPN working the puppets, not the other way around.

Hair isn’t raiding ESPN. Hair resigned the league to the Western raid when he left the WWL.

3mxsBs3.jpg

19 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

It looks like Texas/OU to the SEC has legs, in which case the shifting starts again.

The Big 12 will likely pick up UC, UH, UCF, USF

Which means the National Concept (originally explored by the Big East, as well as Hair/CUSA) will form to create the next contender league.

This will be good for the MWC basketball teams that go.

So, it’s likely the National Conference will go to primarily divisional play in Olympic Sports, with probably SDSU, Boise, UNLV, CSU and AFA (FB only) making up the rest of the American West with Wichita State, SMU, etc.

Rice University will try to grab an AAC spot, if not they’ll be the obvious MWC play.

BYU may factor in as well in the American National Conference.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JTalty/status/1417940823958827016

Might I suggest changing the name to "Cowboy Robert"?

5 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

This is BYUs dream scenario because it essentially scrapes the cream off the top of the MWC to take with it, essentially making the AAC jump optimal - while avoiding the dregs of the MWC.

BYU would go to the new BigXII…. They wouldn’t give that AAC/MWC leftover monstrosity a second thought.

v0icAvfW.jpg

Don’t shoot the messenger.

Im siting historical precedence. Hair himself tried to make a similar move.

You really think teams will choose to align with SJSU, USU, etc INSTEAD of taking the golden ticket to the 6th ranked ESPN/Mothership league?

3mxsBs3.jpg

1 minute ago, NorCalCoug said:

BYU would go to the new BigXII…. They wouldn’t give that AAC/MWC leftover monstrosity a second thought.

I don’t know whether geography (or politics - considering BYU’s policies) works for BYU in this deal.

The Big 12 will try to fill in the Eastern flank to get to WVU.

3mxsBs3.jpg

1 minute ago, BacksThePack said:

If anything, we're poaching them at that point.

If ESPN wants those Sunbelt schools that emerged last year, that can save the MWC.

It all boils down to what ESPN wants. They are driving everything.

3mxsBs3.jpg

3 minutes ago, denali said:

I also think if all this happens, look for Kansas to start begging the Big 10 (or ACC) for an invite. Something they've already done i think.  

That’s certainly possible. But does Kansas enhance the Big Tens media deal? They need to justify that.

3mxsBs3.jpg