Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

14 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Washington State, Oregon State, and Utah to the MWC!

Wouldn't the PAC just pick off the best MWC schools?  The BIG only wants USC and whoever esle on hear say right?  And if the rest of the schools stay then it is still better than the MWC.  The question is how big does the PAC want to be 10, 12 , 14, or 16 if 2 leave for B1G???

14 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Buckeye Scoop reports what the B1G, USC, and FOX are discussing in terms or a merger and the financial benefits. USC and the B1G wanna make something happen and it's NOT a schedule agreement.

Washington State, Oregon State, and Utah to the MWC

What I heard was that the Big Ten was looking to add USC and Notre Dame to get to 16 members. If this report can be believed, at least USC reciprocates the interest. I don’t think that ND is a viable option due to a clause in its current contract with the ACC, which supposedly stipulates that if ND chooses to join a conference it must join the ACC. Not sure how ironclad that is if it exists. Also, not sure how keen ND would be on moving to the Big Ten over the ACC anyway.

Assuming ND stands pat, would the Big Ten be okay with just adding USC and staying at 15 members, or as this video report suggests, it would have to grow to 16, as USC would only be okay with moving if it brings along a fellow PAC-12 school? If it’s the latter, what school is that 16th? This report seems to suggest it would be Colorado. I would think that Stanford or UCLA make more sense, maybe even Washington. Perhaps the thinking is that Colorado would give the Big Ten a member in each of the Western Time Zones, who knows. 

16 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Buckeye Scoop reports what the B1G, USC, and FOX are discussing in terms or a merger and the financial benefits. USC and the B1G wanna make something happen and it's NOT a schedule agreement.

Nevada Buck: THE college football expert:

https://rooster.substack.com/p/a-nugget-of-narcissism

• Like 1

21 hours ago, azgreg said:

Hypothetical time. Let's say the big boys from teh PAC do in fact defect to the B1G and the remaining schools merge with the remaining schools of the Big XII. What do we call it?

We call it the best of the G6

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ibanez said:

MWC would need to take a few years to see if we are really interested in Washington State or Oregon State.  Patience would be key and they could be independent or figure something out why we take our time deciding on them.  No reason to rush for us.  We are in no hurry to expand.  Utah can come if they get an agreement with BYU/Gonzaga, if not we will have to do our due diligence with them also.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Reading that, dude reminds me of the "insiders" running amok on here right now. No wonder they're carrying that dude's water in an effort to make themselves look like they're in the know. Pretty pathetic when you think about it.

Not all of our gurus are like that.  A few have those secret squirrel, insider accounts that cost $4.99 a month and you have to pinkie promise not to share the nuggets and pearls with the great unwashed who don't pay for super sources.

Those guys are in the know.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Hawaii gets into recruiting battles with the so-called dregs of the PAC-12, Oregon State and Washington State, especially for Polynesian players. 

But PAC-12 is PAC-12 and that conference affiliation and P5 status helps with their pitch.  

I wonder if the Great Inbalancing of 2021 and exposing the “P5 In Name Only” (PFINO, sounds like “Final”) vulnerabilities of conference affiliation, does anything to help the G5’s against the lower P5 schools in recruiting?

Perhaps, case in point the rise in mid-majors in the top 25 polling of recent years.   

Seems like USC is such a diva and out of touch with the rest of the conference that they are basically gone. Here's the scenarios that could happen:
1. USC goes independent to capture all of their TV money for themselves.
2. USC to Big 10 with Oregon. Big 10 would love this. Oregon may not.
3. USC to Big 10 with Colorado. Colorado has its rivalry with Nebraska.
4. That's it. The rest of the Pac 12 doesn't seem to be as interested in maximizing revenues and are more interested in beating their local rivals on Nov 4th weekend every year. 

If USC and one other leaves, then the Pac 12 might expand, but they also might be happy with a Pac 10 that gives all their members a better chance at a playoff spot.

41 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

Seems like USC is such a diva and out of touch with the rest of the conference that they are basically gone. Here's the scenarios that could happen:
1. USC goes independent to capture all of their TV money for themselves.
2. USC to Big 10 with Oregon. Big 10 would love this. Oregon may not.
3. USC to Big 10 with Colorado. Colorado has its rivalry with Nebraska.
4. That's it. The rest of the Pac 12 doesn't seem to be as interested in maximizing revenues and are more interested in beating their local rivals on Nov 4th weekend every year. 

If USC and one other leaves, then the Pac 12 might expand, but they also might be happy with a Pac 10 that gives all their members a better chance at a playoff spot.

1.  USC likely has to find a new home for their other sport if football goes independent.

2. If it nets the Quacks more money, they'll be happy.

3. Odd package deal - SC leaving UCLA behind - but it could work.

45 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

1.  USC likely has to find a new home for their other sport if football goes independent.

2. If it nets the Quacks more money, they'll be happy.

3. Odd package deal - SC leaving UCLA behind - but it could work.

Maybe UCLA alums are as into it as USC.

That said, I'm pretty sure the only thing Stanford and Cal really care about is beating each other, not dominating college sports. 

That OSU insider video proves one point. Expansion is all about the $$$ and keeping up with the Jones (SEC). They talked about more money for their schools and conferences, but no mention of monies for "student athletes" who would be making that money for these entities. But I will give them credit for at least bringing up the subject of AAU schools (an educational after thought?), that are in the Pac12.

On the one hand, they're concerned with the SEC raiding schools to strengthen their conference, and damaging the B12 with the taking of TX/OK... but don't give a second thought about raiding, taking schools (damaging), from the Pac12, to do exactly what the SEC is doing? The irony in their statement was oddly funny. 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

On 7/24/2021 at 12:35 PM, Someone said:

one would think this, but this is the thoughts of rational realistic fans not the thoughts of scorned and bitter UH fans that still want to "stick it" to Baylor and Texas Tech especially and that are bitter about being chumped during the "david boren needs attention Big 12 expansion clown show"

and lets me clear the administration of UH is one of the few out there that actually thinks like those corned and bitter fans and that envisions themselves as some type of "shot caller" or "conference savior" or some type of "power broker" that will come into a conference and dictate terms of membership or that will tell their current conference what to do and how to do it or that will ask for consideration based on what happened with the SWC several decades back

every other team in the AAC is lead by administrations that would do just as you say and that is jump to the Big 12 before the phone finished ringing if the caller ID said Big 12.....UH and their administration is the one that will pull a "BYU" and let it go to voice mail and then wait a day or so to call back and start giving a list of demands

You are an absolutely glittering jewel of ignorance.  Try mastering basic punctuation and capitalization before spinning the toothless Denton townie version of "what the UH administrators think".  Nobody in the Houston administration would turn down a Big12 slot in a vain attempt to "stick it to some old SWC mates".  The current UH administrators were not even around in 1994 and could care less what happened back then.   Lol---they jumped at the opportunity to join a collapsing Big East, with no anchor teams, centered 1000 miles away from them---you can bet your last dollar they would accept a Big12 invite where they would be in the footprint and could play P5 teams from the region.   To continue to argue otherwise simply makes you too stupid to engage in further discussion.  

On 7/29/2021 at 9:51 PM, e-zone99 said:

I understand that and that's why I used the term optics.  Because to many it would look the same.  Big12 tell the AAC to stop recruiting our schools, then turns around a recruits AAC schools (granted the AAC school will or have already reached out to the Big12).  Big12 claims that the AAC is trying to damage their media rights, taking top teams from the AAC would likely damage their media rights....   Thus I used the term optics, not that anything would underhand, but the way it might look.

Its now a kind of a mess fraught with legal peril.   Thats why it wouldnt surprise me to see something unprecedented like the Big12, SEC, ESPN, AAC, and FOX all come to the table to work something out.  The Big-12 teams get paid, the SEC gets OU/Texas early.   A few Big12 teams are moved to a P5.  The rest merge with the AAC and get enough financial security to solidify their future---perhaps they even get ESPN/FOX guarantee that they will not be excluded from any future playoff structure.  I just dont see the Big12 collapsing.   I dont think most of them have enough individual TV value to motivate a P5 to expand like Texas and Oklahoma did.  I think most (perhaps all of them) will end up in a situation where they have nowhere better to go. 

• Like 1

I wonder if it would really be that crazy if OU and UT stay in the Big 12 through 2024 or 2025? Once all the hurt feelings subside, isn’t it in the best interests financially of the leftover schools to ride things out the next four years? The sooner the Sooners and Longhorns leave the sooner they get a BIG pay cut. 

And for OU/UT; I don’t think they’ll make enough extra in TV money to make up for exit fees, so why not wait? 

This situation is just so different then all the other recent realignment scenarios. If the Big 12 isn’t sure who they want to add, why not just wait? It also gives the Pac-12 and Big 10 time to evaluate their situations and decide if they want to throw any of the 8 schools a lifeline. 

7 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I wonder if it would really be that crazy if OU and UT stay in the Big 12 through 2024 or 2025? Once all the hurt feelings subside, isn’t it in the best interests financially of the leftover schools to ride things out the next four years? The sooner the Sooners and Longhorns leave the sooner they get a BIG pay cut. 

And for OU/UT; I don’t think they’ll make enough extra in TV money to make up for exit fees, so why not wait? 

This situation is just so different then all the other recent realignment scenarios. If the Big 12 isn’t sure who they want to add, why not just wait? It also gives the Pac-12 and Big 10 time to evaluate their situations and decide if they want to throw any of the 8 schools a lifeline. 

Who knows what will happen, but I really doubt the Big12 gets a cut in their media rights as long as they have 10 members no matter when Texas and Oklahoma leave.  It sound like the contract states there must be 10 member and nothing about who those members have to be,  Likely because at the time when it was made it was never a thought that Texas or Oklahoma would be teams leaving the conference.  Another way to also look at this is Texas and Oklahoma are worth more value than the $26 million the Big12 has been averaging or this wouldn't be thought as so much of a homerun by the SEC.  So say that Texas' and Oklahoma's value was $50 million each in the current contract: $260 million - $100 million = $160 million and now divide that by the 8 remaining schools it still equals an average of $20 million per.  We could take it a step further with the worst case (I don't buy the 75%, or a value of $97.5 million each) of Texas and Oklahoma brought half of the contracts value ($65 million each), people tend to forget the remaining $130 million is divided by 8 ($16.25 million per) and not 10 ($13 million per) now.  In other words $16.25 million is more than double what the AAC gets and not that far behind the ACC/Pac.  If they can get in the range of $17 million to $20 million or more in their new contract they will be more than all right.  I keep reading they are in trouble, because you don't mess with the "Mouse".  At end of the day it the Big12 offers good content the and the "Mouse" needs good content they will pay for it (aka... money talks).  When ESPN is going to pay the SEC $130 million a year extra just for the rights to a weekly "Primetime Saturday Game" shows they have no problem paying for good content (that is an average of $10 million per game in a 13 week season).

1 hour ago, e-zone99 said:

Who knows what will happen, but I really doubt the Big12 gets a cut in their media rights as long as they have 10 members no matter when Texas and Oklahoma leave.  It sound like the contract states there must be 10 member and nothing about who those members have to be,  Likely because at the time when it was made it was never a thought that Texas or Oklahoma would be teams leaving the conference.  Another way to also look at this is Texas and Oklahoma are worth more value than the $26 million the Big12 has been averaging or this wouldn't be thought as so much of a homerun by the SEC.  So say that Texas' and Oklahoma's value was $50 million each in the current contract: $260 million - $100 million = $160 million and now divide that by the 8 remaining schools it still equals an average of $20 million per.  We could take it a step further with the worst case (I don't buy the 75%, or a value of $97.5 million each) of Texas and Oklahoma brought half of the contracts value ($65 million each), people tend to forget the remaining $130 million is divided by 8 ($16.25 million per) and not 10 ($13 million per) now.  In other words $16.25 million is more than double what the AAC gets and not that far behind the ACC/Pac.  If they can get in the range of $17 million to $20 million or more in their new contract they will be more than all right.  I keep reading they are in trouble, because you don't mess with the "Mouse".  At end of the day it the Big12 offers good content the and the "Mouse" needs good content they will pay for it (aka... money talks).  When ESPN is going to pay the SEC $130 million a year extra just for the rights to a weekly "Primetime Saturday Game" shows they have no problem paying for good content (that is an average of $10 million per game in a 13 week season).

I am pretty sure the networks would try to find a way to renegotiate, but who knows. Still don’t see the upside from OU and UT leaving early either. 

Unless we see the Big 12 add schools immediately this is still not going to be like any other situation we have seen so far. Last time the conferences that lost schools all replaced them immediately, and conferences like the Pac-12 and B1G wanted new members in the fold since they were renegotiating TV deals; but none of that is happening as of right now. Those are all things that gave all parties a vested interest in getting in to their new conferences ASAP. Which party is going to pressure this to happen early? 

https://www.dawgsports.com/2021/7/26/22594901/ut-sources-texas-and-ou-eyeing-2022-for-entry-into-sec

Despite the joint statement referencing the schools staying in their current league until 2025, multiple high-ranking sources at the University of Texas have told Dawg Sports that the two schools will not be in the Big 12 that long.

Those sources confirmed that Kevin Eltife, the Chairman of the University of Texas System Board of Regents, wants to see Texas in the SEC for the 2022 football season.

“Texas and Oklahoma are aiming to enter the league in 2022, with 2023 as a backup plan.”

According to the source, Eltife is a big Texas football fan. “He believes getting into the league for the 2022 season would help Texas from a recruiting and branding standpoint, and quicken the university’s ascent back to the top of the sport.”

The buyout for Texas and Oklahoma to leave the Big 12 before the year 2025 is reportedly $150 million, but the same source tells Dawg Sports that Eltife, “has the buyout money lined up to make this happen quicker. Even if their entry is delayed past 2022, there’s no way they will wait around until 2025.”

It is believed that the buyout money could come from the remaining amount on UT’s contract with the Longhorn Network.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.