Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

1 minute ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

That’s one of the reasons the complaint from the big12 has no merit.  It was merely a public pout.  It’s especially without merit because they also tried to look the PAC for membership which is the exact same thing.  They just look really bad through all this.

And still, the Big 12 will look over the AAC schools, pick out a few and say “get over here, now”, and those schools will immediately go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e-zone99 said:

Optics, could actually play a roll now...   Big12 tells the AAC to stop poking around trying to recruit our schools and then turn around a take 4 AAC schools could have a bad look for them now.

At that point as it is right now......the B12 has entered survival mode, the cease & desist letter made that obvious and as the B12 probably can't stop TX / OU from departing their going to be scrambling to figure out how to survive or even seeing if any more damage is done by schools leaving 

The MWC & AAC are in wait & see what the damage the B12 incurs .......if TX & OU is the end of the damage, the B12 can look to AAC or MWC / BYU for a few fillers - TV could play a roll in the future of the B12 as it might have played a roll in the damage to the B12........there's still value, but how much & who might be interested & what roster of schools ?!!?

3 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Big 12 is gonna be fine.

But BYU is not joining the BIG 12 as their ESPN overlords will tell them not to join that renegade group who won't bow to ESPN. ;)

2 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

That's a valid question.

I would venture the Big 12 doesn't want to have that conversation... with any team. Because it would be a hard NO. 

Can you imagine if BiG 12 were courting some teams and they were told Nope you can't have a piece of that pie...wait until 2025?

Why, if a the Big12 goes from $38 million down 50% to $19 million what AAC or MWC school would say no.  That's just the tip of things to Big12 Bowl tie-ins vs AAC/MWC, basketball Big12's Kansas, Baylor, Texas Tech, ect, how does the AAC/MWC compare?  Name brand Big12 is known as a P5 conference and has Autonomy (AAC/MWC do not), so taking that P5 label away will not be easy.  Since 7 of the 8 remaining schools were founding Big12 members I think it will be hard for the P5 status to be taken away.  Because if you they have P5 all this and now going to say they are no long P5 schools could cause people to really wonder about the whole P5 structure.

Bottom line is if the Big12 invites anyone from the AAC or the MWC they will be excepting the invite on the Big12 terms (BYU would be a little different story, since have shown they make it as an Independent).

I remember making the point earlier that we should look at how the Big 12 has operated historically for clues as to who they will target in expansion. Looking over their members I see they have never had a coastal school.

UCF to the Big 12 confirmed. 

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

JD was on one of the local sports talk shows. Said all the pro forma stuff. Everybody is focused on the Padres.

Texas college football doesn't register here.

Well, if there is virtually zero media discussion there, my very unscientific deduction is that if anything else happens it will likely not involve SDSU, the MWC, or the Pac12.  

I guess I can go back to my regular scheduled programing.  

34 minutes ago, Someone Else said:

Well, if there is virtually zero media discussion there, my very unscientific deduction is that if anything else happens it will likely not involve SDSU, the MWC, or the Pac12.  

I guess I can go back to my regular scheduled programing.  

Apathy about these matters is standard. Doesn't mean there's not activity. Just that there's more to life than redneck football doins'

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

6 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Do you remember from law school anything about what is required for a prima facie case of interference with contract at common law? As I mentioned this morning, the only thing I can recall is that California case law on that issue had changed several times over the decades so if the law wherever the B12 would file against ESPN was like it is in California, there's no way to accurately predict who might prevail even if we knew all the facts.

Big 12 is incorporated in Delaware to avoid the Texas courts. 

• Like 1

I could see the Big12 not totally decimating the MWC and AAC because it could help them with the NCAA and the new playoff negotiations to have other credible but weaker conferences so the SEC doesn't just carve up everything for themselves.  For example, if ESPN and the SEC decide to go to 12 playoff spots but only allow 4 conferences champions to get auto bids so they can get more at large bids that would impact the lesser conferences.  It makes a lot of sense to have a credible MWC, AAC, and Big XII around that cannot just be dismissed.

I think the Big XII may only add 1 from the MWC/ACC and perhaps BYU.  I don't see the incentive for them to go to more than 12 right away and I don't think it even necessarily makes sense to go to 12.  

I also don't understand this obsession with Texas and Florida schools, but especially Florida schools.  Why does anybody think the 5 or 6th most popular school is such a hot tamale?  They aren't even close.  Is that really a hot ticket in that market for a saturday game?

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Akkula said:

I could see the Big12 not totally decimating the MWC and AAC because it could help them with the NCAA and the new playoff negotiations to have other credible but weaker conferences so the SEC doesn't just carve up everything for themselves.  For example, if ESPN and the SEC decide to go to 12 playoff spots but only allow 4 conferences champions to get auto bids so they can get more at large bids that would impact the lesser conferences.  It makes a lot of sense to have a credible MWC, AAC, and Big XII around that cannot just be dismissed.

I think the Big XII may only add 1 from the MWC/ACC and perhaps BYU.  I don't see the incentive for them to go to more than 12 right away and I don't think it even necessarily makes sense to go to 12.  

I also don't understand this obsession with Texas and Florida schools, but especially Florida schools.  Why does anybody think the 5 or 6th most popular school is such a hot tamale?  They aren't even close.  Is that really a hot ticket in that market for a saturday game?

I see where you’re coming from but I don’t believe the big 12 thinks that far ahead.  They are exclusively interested in survival/short term so they’re focused on strengthening themselves today over worrying about a fairer playoff system.  I bet they’re thinking about how they can maximize their marketability for their impending media negotiations.

I agree with your second paragraph.  I believe the big 12 adds two this go around.  Not sure about their long term prospects, a more substantial shuffle awaits down the road.

Are you talking about usf? If so I don’t think they’re being considered much this go around. FAU is 6th most popular in Florida and is an often mentioned expansion candidate at the g5 level.  Football runs deep in Florida, that’s all I can say as to your question about ‘why Florida?’.  I miss the era of regional scheduling alliances as well.  It does make for interesting road games though! I’m looking forward to the Boise game in a couple years for example.  I’d like UCF and Wyoming to schedule something.  

10 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

That’s one of the reasons the complaint from the big12 has no merit.  It was merely a public pout.  It’s especially without merit because they also tried to look the PAC for membership which is the exact same thing.  They just look really bad through all this.

Wrong.

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I see where you’re coming from but I don’t believe the big 12 thinks that far ahead.  They are exclusively interested in survival/short term so they’re focused on strengthening themselves today over worrying about a fairer playoff system.  I bet they’re thinking about how they can maximize their marketability for their impending media negotiations.

I agree with your second paragraph.  I believe the big 12 adds two this go around.

Two would be the safe play. It also lets them weaken the AAC which even though it sucks to admit they are currently the best of the little 5 conferences. My question is would any AAC still say no to the Big-12. I mean even if the Big-12 takes their Ok/Texas war chest to pay the two AAC schools buyout fees and bumps up their annual tv payments some schools might still be on edge. What happens if in 3 years the Big-12 loses more schools and implodes at that point. Do they two AAC schools that join them get invited with open arms back to the AAC? Guess that is the risk those schools would have to take.