Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

1 minute ago, Ibanez said:

...Mandel is already talking about the B1G and SEC splitting the ACC up and dropping the lesser teams.

Whenever realignment comes up there are always reporters throwing up click bait articles.  Many include information provided by 'unnamed sources', which is code for, "I'm just speculating and throwing out bullshit, but thanks for clicking on the article."  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 minute ago, AztecSU said:

What if OU comes in and proceeds to not win more than 8 games for like 5 seasons...that would be more than alright with me.

If Riley sticks around I think OU will be the top program in the West. 

From Mandel's column today:

Again, I don’t believe the Big Ten needs to panic and overreact to the SEC’s move. But I would not be surprised if the upper-level programs — mainly Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State — view this as a recruiting threat by a conference they compete against directly. Also: The ACC schools are locked into a grant of rights for another 15 years. I know some have theorized that a GOR would not ultimately stand up if anyone ever challenged it in court, but … woo boy. That’d be a heck of a gamble.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

People need to stop blaming it on lifestyle, other interests, or this and that. 

The PAC overall has sterile, boring fanbases that just aren't that in to college football the way people are in other parts of the country. 

Besides ASU, Utah, and Oregon it's a pretty bland crowd for PAC football.

I agree somewhat Jack. I've seen both sides and there just isn't the overall passion as say the deep south. 

But let's look at both sides. What kind of other entertainment activities does a place like Oxford Miss, Fayettvile Ark and Tuscaloosa have on game day? Compared to say Boulder, San Francisco, and LA? I don't think it's unrealistic to say the West Coast is a more sophisticated and educated culture with options. 

BTW, I would add the Huskies as a rabid crowd to your list if the team is halfway decent. 

51 minutes ago, trvitmvnz said:

ESPN was the one behind this. Now they control the Whole South and Atlantic regions exclusively lol 

ESPN has done many dastardly things over the years. The book is two decades old now but for anyone interested in digging deep into the WWL's first quarter century, I recommend reading this:

ESPN: The Uncensored History

more than likely the SEC will attempt to move to allow pods to happen and there will be a pod of Texas, OU, A&M, and MU

the AAC had wanted that to be allowed in the past, but the Big 10 killed that when the legislation was passed to allow a conference with less than 12 members to have a CCG

you have to wonder how the Big 10, ACC, and PAC 12 will vote on that now

without pods the SEC has a bigger issue do they finally go to 9 conference games or do they play 7 division games and one against the other division each year

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

3 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

I'd bet whatever is left of the B12 will try to grab best potential from MWC & AAC 

MWC could be: BSU, SDSU, CSU, UNLV, UNR, Fresno St 

AAC could be: Central FL, Cincy, Houston, Memphis, SMU, South FL 

The above bring market size & potential ..........but with the B12 leftovers all being in the central time zone, they may favor more AAC schools & a CSU, which is on the edge of their existing footprint .......if the AAC does go west & east it's become a continent wide spread out conference that might not produce the revenue to make it feasible or work .........so if they opt to merge more with the AAC it makes geographic sense filling the gap between most of the B12 & West Virginia (if WVA is still around) 

Could see B12'ers Baylor, TCU, OK St, Texas Tech, K State, Iowa St more cohesive with Houston, SMU, Cincy, Memphis South & Central FL ...that makes a 12 team conference with a big Texas presence and a bridge to the two Florida schools ( this assumes Kansas & WVA leave the B12 

Easier to go east for them but with news that the AAC may have been in cahoots with ESPN to undercut the B12 and get UT and OK out early without a payout might have poisoned that well a bit. Any move West would have to include BYU in all sports to make sense.

25 minutes ago, utenation said:

I agree somewhat Jack. I've seen both sides and there just isn't the overall passion as say the deep south. 

But let's look at both sides. What kind of other entertainment activities does a place like Oxford Miss, Fayettvile Ark and Tuscaloosa have on game day? Compared to say Boulder, San Francisco, and LA? I don't think it's unrealistic to say the West Coast is a more sophisticated and educated culture with options. 

BTW, I would add the Huskies as a rabid crowd to your list if the team is halfway decent. 

Your last sentence says it all. Too many things to do on the west coast than follow a sports team that isn't winning.

38 minutes ago, Aztec1984 said:

Your last sentence says it all. Too many things to do on the west coast than follow a sports team that isn't winning.

Unless your are a top 6 Blue Blood in the B10 or SEC, most stadium remodel research points to smaller stadiums with the main competition being TVs, HD quality and streaming.. Much easier to watch an entire day of CFB at home with 5 different games on at 1 time from the comfort of your couch. 

For the longest time, I wanted the Utes to get to a 60K seat venue.. Good sized invested market, sellouts and waiting lists since 2003. We ended with about 51,500 with the new paint job. 90% of that is high dollar suites, restaurants and other bells and whistles.  Which will draw a lot more revenue than basic $40 bench seating. 

People want more bang for their buck these days it seems. Many P12 stadiums downsized. ASU, Washington, Cal, Stanford, USC, CU and Arizona. 

56 minutes ago, RSF said:

From Mandel's column today:

Again, I don’t believe the Big Ten needs to panic and overreact to the SEC’s move. But I would not be surprised if the upper-level programs — mainly Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State — view this as a recruiting threat by a conference they compete against directly. Also: The ACC schools are locked into a grant of rights for another 15 years. I know some have theorized that a GOR would not ultimately stand up if anyone ever challenged it in court, but … woo boy. That’d be a heck of a gamble.

Just nuke the PAC from orbit and welcome the 6-7 survivors onto the  B1G Death Star.  Considering that Notre Dame considers two of those survivors to be "rivals" in markets they like to play in, let them decide what they're going to do?  Join the coast-to-coast PRESTIGE WORLDWIDE conference, keep one toe in the ACC and hope the SEC doesn't nuke it from orbit by taking Clemson, FSU, Miami and UNC, or take the plunge and join the Bubba Conference and look into what it takes to build a world class Rooster Fighting program and Monster Truck Research Center.  

7 minutes ago, Aztec1984 said:

Easier to go east for them but with news that the AAC may have been in cahoots with ESPN to undercut the B12 and get UT and OK out early without a payout might have poisoned that well a bit. Any move West would have to include BYU in all sports to make sense.

Agree that any move west would probably be BYU with 3 MWC schools - Geographically & travel wise a foursome of BSU & BYU / SDSU & UNLV might make sense as both are paired fairly close together & both are in the same time zones 

I still think the B12 would look east to some AAC schools before looking east.........and especially if W-VA remains in the B12 as they would be a long way from the western part of the B12 

B12 will be in full desperation mode and even more desperate if more than just Texas & Oklahoma leave, as the B12 desperation grows, then anything could be possible for them to attempt to maintain some relevance as a conference & in the pecking order.......still adding BSU, SDSU, BYU, UNLV along with Mem

5 minutes ago, utenation said:

Unless your are a top 6 Blue Blood in the B10 or SEC, most stadium remodel research points to smaller stadiums with the main competition being TVs, HD quality and streaming.. Much easier to watch an entire day of CFB at home with 5 different games on at 1 time from the comfort of your couch. 

For the longest time, I wanted the Utes to get to a 60K seat venue.. Good sized invested market, sellouts and waiting lists since 2003. We ended with about 51,5000 with the new paint job. 90% of that is high dollar suites, restaurants and other bells and whistles.  Which will draw a lot more revenue than basic $40 bench seating. 

People want more bang for their buck these days it seems. Many P12 stadiums downsized. ASU, Washington, Cal, Stanford, USC, CU and Arizona.  

Yes, you have to have a party type atmosphere nowadays (for the students, it's a must), and the trend is for smaller stadiums unless you are a Bama, OSU type program. This is especially true in the West. That is why were are building just a 33K seat (35K capacity) stadium. It will be a great venue for fans that come to watch the game but plenty of social amenities to attract those who are not "hardcore" football fans. It won't scare off a MSL team either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ibanez said:

So if the Big 8 is out does ESPN look to go west for the AAC and try to shut the Big 8 out? Do they just shrug it off and say it was worth a shot? Don't know.

The AAC is their hit man to try to get one team out of the B12 so the B12 conference is no longer viable and UT/OK can leave sooner with no penalty. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Aztec1984 said:

The AAC is their hit man to try to get one team out of the B12 so the B12 conference is no longer viable and UT/OK can leave sooner with no penalty. 

Aresco's a pimp.  He could've never out-fought Bowlsby, but I didn't know until this day that it was ESPN all along.

• Haha 2