Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

5 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Guess it depends on what they know about the ESPN deal.

They know what we know.  ESPN will have to honor the remainder of the Big 12's deal.  They could offer any AAC team only a 50% share and they would jump in a second.

1 hour ago, RebelRobert said:

Good read from Pete Thamel

You're the SEC and Texas and OU approach you.  Are you really supposed to say no?  That's ridiculous.  Texas and OU are the ones blowing their conference up and destabilizing things.  If the SEC said no, they'd try the P12, then B1G, etc.  Eventually someone would have said yes.

Just now, Ibanez said:

If the remaining Big 12 teams are wanting to stay together regardless of their value and don't want AAC teams (They have made it clear they want nothing to do with the AAC... .Just like Boise State and the Big East btw.), why don't they just meet with ESPN, say we will take this percentage of the payments and you can have Texas and Oklahoma next year.

Boom. Done. Just work it out.

The last thing any school in the Big 12 wants is to let OU and Texas off the hook.

And why would they settle for any reduction in payments when they do not need to?  

2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

If the remaining Big 12 teams are wanting to stay together regardless of their value and don't want AAC teams (They have made it clear they want nothing to do with the AAC... .Just like Boise State and the Big East btw.), why don't they just meet with ESPN, say we will take this percentage of the payments and you can have Texas and Oklahoma next year.

Boom. Done. Just work it out.

Yeah, Im sure nobody thought about negotiating a final number.

And no, they have not made it clear about any AAC teams.  5 years ago is a long time.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

19 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Is your mother still offering her 2 for 1 sale? Have her call me after she gets tested. Talk football or piss off....

Oh, New Mexico fan. I get it, football is a foreign subject to you bottom feeder. Take your lame ass to the WAC where you might be a 50/50 ball club.

Nah bro, her 2 for 1 tamale sale starts the week before Thanksgiving. I can reserve you a dozen if you want.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

This is meaningless without as many eyeballs actually watching games as the SEC/B1G/ACC. The big takeaway regarding the remaining 8 is their draw is pretty similar to the AAC's top teams, the PAC unfortunately has the same issue looking at ratings on Sports Media Watch. You remove 2 of USC/UCLA/ORE/WASH and the PAC would be in a world of hurt. 

They're not going anywhere and  you can play that game with any conference. For instance, take away OSU and Michigan and what do you have left?  Alabama and Auburn? The SEC hostile takeover of the B12 is a recognition  by it and its TV enablers of its ever more regional appeal. The only way to grow the product was to expand. That's a trick that works, once.  The Pac XII  has a marketing problem, one which ironically will most likely be helped with the new NIL rules given that within its footprint are the largest, most influential traditional media, social media, tech and sports marketing corporations on planet Earth.

Edit:  Not to mention that somewhere in there is the notion that college for most players is about an education and the Pac is peerless in the quality of its institutions among schools with D1 programs.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

40 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

This is meaningless without as many eyeballs actually watching games as the SEC/B1G/ACC. The big takeaway regarding the remaining 8 is their draw is pretty similar to the AAC's top teams, the PAC unfortunately has the same issue looking at ratings on Sports Media Watch. You remove 2 of USC/UCLA/ORE/WASH and the PAC would be in a world of hurt. 

I see the B1G going after more than two. I think 5 as a western pod for a 20 team conference.

00126-SDSUvArizona-main.jpg

6 minutes ago, Den60 said:

I see the B1G going after more than two. I think 5 as a western pod for a 20 team conference.

The B1G doesn't need to expand and probably won't unless they have an opportunity to add ND and then would look to the Mid Atlantic for #16, perhaps adding a Virginia or UNC. After all, nobody watches football in the west....right?

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

56 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

and if you removed Ohio St and Michigan and Clemson/Florida St? Anyone not named the SEC is susceptible 

Not true. Despite the lower programs not being as storied they are pulling in better ratings on average than the bottom half of the PAC. That said it is hard to know how much of the PAC contract has added to the issue.

18 minutes ago, Den60 said:

Thats why I listed those schools. They are the first 4 the B1G would want followed by CU as 5th. Do I really think the B1G will do this? Honestly I think it's a long shot at best. So the PAC is most likely safe and hopefully their next tv deal doesnt bury them broadcasting wise like the last one.

27 minutes ago, Den60 said:

Perhaps, if the PAC top teams can get things turned around.  Right now, with the poor on field performance, lagging fan support and the best athletes in the PAC footprint electing to come east rather than stay home adding PAC teams is not attractive.  I could see a B1G and PAC scheduling agreement but I don't see the B1G actually inviting teams from the PAC unless fortunes change significantly.

The B1G is competing head-to-head with the SEC in the college sports arms race.  In order to continue to do that they need expand into the southeast footprint.  While the ACC GOR is stout it is not unbreakable.  I look for the B1G to stand pat now but in the coming years to pick off some ACC programs.  Never forget the B1G really really wants ND and picking apart the ACC might be the best way to do it.  Yes, southeast expanision will be more expensive inititally but the long term payoff is greater than going west.  I wouldn't be surprised if some combination of Clemson, Florida State or North Carolina aren't gobbled up by the SEC in the coming years.  Just imagine how large the SEC's next media deal will be with UT ad OU in the fold.  That kind of $ will be difficult for ACC schools to turn down.  Forget the Big XII remanents and the PAC.  In time I think the B1G and SEC pick apart the ACC.

1 minute ago, AztecSU said:

Thats why I listed those schools. They are the first 4 the B1G would want followed by CU as 5th. Do I really think the B1G will do this? Honestly I think it's a long shot at best. So the PAC is most likely safe and hopefully their next tv deal doesnt bury them broadcasting wise like the last one.

I failed to mention Arizona too who is also AAU. 

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2021/07/big-ten-needs-to-go-big-with-expansion-and-target-the-pac-12-politi.html

52 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

People on the west coast don't know how lucky they have it.

True.  Going to school right on the beach has its perks

image.png.741dc5082a4990cdfeb3f0d1e8ca833d.png

9 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

True.  Going to school right on the beach has its perks

image.png.741dc5082a4990cdfeb3f0d1e8ca833d.png

I grew up not to far from here, I still take my kids surfing at that point you see in the photo every time we visit the place. But no, I had to go to school in Utah for some reason (oh yea, I wanted to play FB, now I remember LOL). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSF said:

It'll depend on a) and b).  If both BYU and a Florida school get the nod, then both are probably out.  Otherwise, one is probably in play.

What possible value would there be to adding the 6th and 7th best teams in Texas to your conference?

What value would the 3rd best team in OK add?

The 4th best team in FL is a possibility, I guess

The 2nd best team in Ohio?

The  3rd best team in Tennessee?

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

5 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I've only been in northern California. I am told North Cal and Southern Cal might as well be two different states. But that's a sweet campus you guys have.

I’ve always felt there’s four states in California, IMO anyways. I would say you have So Cal, the Valley from Bakersfield to Sac, the Bay Area, and then Nor Cal north of Sac. Although that’s my perspective growing up in Nor Cal; I’m sure someone from So Cal might feel So Cal shouldn’t be all lumped together.