Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

Just now, alum93 said:

Powerhouse SEC adds UT and OU football programs and P12 counters with Tech and UNLV football.  Sweet.

Rebels and Raiders!

UNLV.Raider.png.e9d4099b2e70695e452779ec65c682df.png

13 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

And you can substitute Kirby Hocutt/RedRaiders for all the other B12 ADs/teams except WV, and it would be just as accurate.

8 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Powerhouse SEC adds UT and OU football programs and P12 counters with Tech and UNLV football.  Sweet.

That'll teach them a lesson!

3 minutes ago, RSF said:

And you can substitute Kirby Hocutt/RedRaiders for all the other B12 ADs/teams except WV, and it would be just as accurate.

Texas Tech makes the most sense because they’re in western Texas and would be a natural rival with Utah/Colorado/Arizona/Arizona St.

• Super-Mega Idiot 1
Just now, ph90702 said:

Texas Tech makes the most sense because they’re in western Texas and would be a natural rival with Utah/Colorado/Arizona/Arizona St.

Which is beside the point.

• Confused 1
1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

yea, since Utah has played Texas Tech exactly zero times and is 915 miles away.

Natural rivalry

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

yea, since Utah has played Texas Tech exactly zero times and is 915 miles away.

Natural rivalry

Tech did share a conference with AU and ASU for a while

and of coarse with CU as well

18 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Why is that?

Because of all the possible moves it is the one that has the most pros for both parties (school and new conference). With any schools going to the Pac-12 i think it’s definitely the best move they could make, but I can at least come up with some realistic cons to go with the pros; with WVU there is literally no downside to moving to the ACC, it is the better fit for them in every conceivable way. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Because of all the possible moves it is the one that has the most pros for both parties (school and new conference). With any schools going to the Pac-12 i think it’s definitely the best move they could make, but I can at least come up with some realistic cons to go with the pros; with WVU there is literally no downside to moving to the ACC, it is the better fit for them in every conceivable way. 

The WVU move makes sense for all kinds of reasons. The other ones bandied about make either little to no sense, depending on whatever is being kicked around.

Texas Tech adds what to the PAC-12?  The Lubbock market? LOLZ.  TT is screwed, OSU and Houston have a better shot at landing in the PAC-12 (but there is zero chance that UCLA and Berkeley would agree to that. 

I could be wrong? 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, ViAggie said:

Texas Tech adds what to the PAC-12?  The Lubbock market? LOLZ.  TT is screwed, OSU and Houston have a better shot at landing in the PAC-12 (but there is zero chance that UCLA and Berkeley would agree to that. 

I could be wrong? 

You're not wrong.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

The WVU move makes sense for all kinds of reasons. The other ones bandied about make either little to no sense, depending on whatever is being kicked around.

Exactly. From WVU’s standpoint it’s all upside, but even from the ACC’s standpoint it gives them a solid football and bball school that also helps balance out their geography. I think this is the one move I’d bet money on happening.

• Like 2
Just now, SalinasSpartan said:

Exactly. From WVU’s standpoint it’s all upside, but even from the ACC’s standpoint it gives them a solid football and bball school that also helps balance out their geography. I think this is the one move I’d bet money on happening.

wouldn't the ACC need to add two schools for scheduling?

Even if the B12 is reduced to 6 teams, they are still in a position to back fill with any GO5 schools of their choosing.  Even in a depleted, weakened condition, the B12 is still a stronger and more desirable conference than the AAC or MW. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Same. They're on an island in the Big XII and this would really fix that, plus it puts them back with all their old-school rivals like Pitt, VT, and Miami. Plus the idea that "the ACC wouldn't take them because academics" has no water anymore since they took Louisville in the last round.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, alum93 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=7402183

Just now, Joe from WY said:

Same. They're on an island in the Big XII and this would really fix that, plus it puts them back with all their old-school rivals like Pitt, VT, and Miami. Plus the idea that "the ACC wouldn't take them because academics" has no water anymore since they took Louisville in the last round.

If the ACC wanted WVU, wouldn't they already have them?  

I'm not buying into the notion that TX & OU moving on results in the BIG, ACC & PAC suddenly feeling the need to expand. 

• Like 1