Jump to content
Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

Recommended Posts

On 5/26/2023 at 5:18 PM, Fowl said:

Yeesh.  That Cal hubris poked its head out for a quick second.  Be chill, Prez.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/26/2023 at 12:25 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

Long time no see, good sir.  Hope all is well.

Been lurking for a bit watching the San Jose State/Fresnek dick measuring contests. I don’t post much anymore. Lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/26/2023 at 2:21 AM, utgrizfan said:

If geography and identifying as "an East Coast School" were driving factors in leaving the AAC I could see them not wanting to join an even more spread out Conference despite the $$. Based on that language in the article I'd think they'd be hoping for an ACC invite at some point. Bare minimum they'd probably have to add another school in their neck of the woods to appease them and I can't think of anyone in that neck of the woods who'd fit the bill.

Don’t think is was geography, necessarily. They didn’t have a lot on common with the AAC. Plus, their basketball was subpar. The Big 12’s basketball is more their caliper. Plus, the P5 tie in doesn’t hurt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2023 at 1:07 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

CU is basically a Rocky Mountains version of Cal. Excellent academics with a mismanaged athletic department. Erratic at best hoops and in the case of CU, a football program whose claim to fame was sharing the mythical NC under the Magic Christian, Bill McCartney, who won by condoning the Buff Backers booster club providing prostitutes for stud recruits like murderer Rae Carruth.

Didn't his Star QB also knock up his daughter ?

 

"You are what your record says you are."       Bill Parcells

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2023 at 1:18 PM, bigd said:

Yeah that’s the most glaring example, I was just including the 70s and 80s though.

I wasn’t around, was Utah chosen for the Copper Bowl just for attendance reasons? Was Wyoming considered for the Cotton Bowl after beating BYU?

There weren't enough Bowl games back then.

And, yes.

The Utes were chosen because their fans travelled well. That, and a matchup with UA sold a lot of tickets.

 

"You are what your record says you are."       Bill Parcells

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2023 at 2:47 PM, RSF said:

Most of Texas doesnt like to consider Houston part of Texas.  I just came to realize why when I moved here.  Talk about anything shitty about Houston, and the response is 'yeah, but the food is great'.  As we have seen.

Great Food ?

It must be the aromatic infusion of Petrochemicals that make the food "to die for "

 

"You are what your record says you are."       Bill Parcells

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/26/2023 at 1:12 AM, babigos said:

Looks like UConn is gaining some serious traction for the Big 12 invite. Big 12 representatives were on campus checking it out the last couple of weeks.

 

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football/college-football-expansion-big-12-rumors-uconn

This is not surprising as BY has been pushing the idea of having sperate BBall and FB Media Deals.

Is Gonzaga to the New12 still a thing ?

I don't see UConn leaving the Big East again. They knew it was a mistake to leave within a couple of years.

 

"You are what your record says you are."       Bill Parcells

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2023 at 7:23 AM, Spaztecs said:

This is not surprising as BY has been pushing the idea of having sperate BBall and FB Media Deals.

Is Gonzaga to the New12 still a thing ?

I don't see UConn leaving the Big East again. They knew it was a mistake to leave within a couple of years.

Seems like the Gonzaga thing has lost traction. 
 

There does seem to be a lot of interest with the UConn fan base, which is surprising. The idea of being in a conference with another blue blood basketball program is intriguing for many. The Big 12s women’s basketball programs are superior as well, which is a revenue sport for many there too.
 

Also, their other spots are superior to the Big East’s. UConn has a perennial top 25 baseball program, which fits more inline with the Big 12z

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2023 at 8:23 AM, Spaztecs said:

This is not surprising as BY has been pushing the idea of having sperate BBall and FB Media Deals.

Is Gonzaga to the New12 still a thing ?

I don't see UConn leaving the Big East again. They knew it was a mistake to leave within a couple of years.

UConn might not be as interested in an Olympic Sports only offer from the BigXII but you’re crazy if you think they wouldn’t jump on an all sports offer.

  • Like 1

v0icAvfW.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2023 at 10:23 AM, Spaztecs said:

This is not surprising as BY has been pushing the idea of having sperate BBall and FB Media Deals.

Is Gonzaga to the New12 still a thing ?

I don't see UConn leaving the Big East again. They knew it was a mistake to leave within a couple of years.

It was just something that Brett Yormak wanted to create headlines about.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2023 at 7:02 AM, Spaztecs said:

Didn't his Star QB also knock up his daughter ?

Yes. From a 1990 column by the late, great Jim Murray: 

“From Ashes to Glory” is more than a football book, it’s a journal of faith. Job’s was never more severely tested than Coach McCartney’s.

It all began with the devastating news that his 19-year-old daughter was pregnant. Out of wedlock. The father was the team’s star quarterback, Sal Aunese, a gifted athlete whom McCartney had personally recruited out of Oceanside.

“You’re not going to be happy with me,” Kristy McCartney told Aunese when she broke the news to him. She was right. Aunese was so unthrilled, he refused to have anything to do with her. His friends closed around, recommending Kristy have an abortion and not tell her parents. Kristy, heartbroken, told her parents.

Aunese was diagnosed with cancer the next summer and died that fall. There were rumors that within a couple years Kristy got pregnant with the child of another CU player and also carried that fetus full term. As far as I know the family never acknowledged as much but the following article confirms she is the single mother of two children: https://www.denverpost.com/2007/07/28/the-mccartney-connection/

Bill McCartney is now in his late seventies and has Alzheimer's which it's speculated is related to his playing football at Missouri where he once took such a hard hit to the head that he was knocked out for a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2023 at 9:46 AM, NorCalCoug said:

😂 

It's tough to know which B12 fan base has the biggest hard-on for the Pac-12 and anecdotal evidence suggests the only school whose fans haven't caught the disease is Kansas.

Some medical experts believe that, like COVID-19, Pac-12 Syndrome will linger in the system of many afflicted persons forever.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2023 at 6:19 AM, RSF said:

Worth noting that Ohio State has a home game vs Mich State on Nov 11th on NBC.

Can't compare to Notre Dame vs USC for national eyes on the game.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2023 at 10:39 PM, smithy said:

Can't compare to Notre Dame vs USC for national eyes on the game.

Notre Dame vs USC will always be on NBC primetime when it's in LA.  As of now, I think it's almost always a 2:30 game when it's in South Bend, which it will remain being.  So, nothing is essentially going to change for that game's timing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2023 at 1:01 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Yes. From a 1990 column by the late, great Jim Murray: 

“From Ashes to Glory” is more than a football book, it’s a journal of faith. Job’s was never more severely tested than Coach McCartney’s.

It all began with the devastating news that his 19-year-old daughter was pregnant. Out of wedlock. The father was the team’s star quarterback, Sal Aunese, a gifted athlete whom McCartney had personally recruited out of Oceanside.

“You’re not going to be happy with me,” Kristy McCartney told Aunese when she broke the news to him. She was right. Aunese was so unthrilled, he refused to have anything to do with her. His friends closed around, recommending Kristy have an abortion and not tell her parents. Kristy, heartbroken, told her parents.

Aunese was diagnosed with cancer the next summer and died that fall. There were rumors that within a couple years Kristy got pregnant with the child of another CU player and also carried that fetus full term. As far as I know the family never acknowledged as much but the following article confirms she is the single mother of two children: https://www.denverpost.com/2007/07/28/the-mccartney-connection/

Bill McCartney is now in his late seventies and has Alzheimer's which it's speculated is related to his playing football at Missouri where he once took such a hard hit to the head that he was knocked out for a while.

Real quality people here 

  • Like 1

 

"You are what your record says you are."       Bill Parcells

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2023 at 1:09 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

It's tough to know which B12 fan base has the biggest hard-on for the Pac-12 and anecdotal evidence suggests the only school whose fans haven't caught the disease is Kansas.

Some medical experts believe that, like COVID-19, Pac-12 Syndrome will linger in the system of many afflicted persons forever.

It’s interesting for sure. Just look at this thread.  The fans from the New B12 schools like BYU, UCF and Houston seem to be barking the loudest.  Not very many teeth though. 
 

Two of those schools have no business being in a P5 conference. I’m not sure what the B12 was looking at when they made the decision other than needing warm bodies. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/29/2023 at 9:56 AM, utenation said:

It’s interesting for sure. Just look at this thread.  The fans from the New B12 schools like BYU, UCF and Houston seem to be barking the loudest.  Not very many teeth though. 
 

Two of those schools have no business being in a P5 conference. I’m not sure what the B12 was looking at when they made the decision other than needing warm bodies. 
 

 

Will you applaud the PAC adding the likes of SDSU and <maybe> SMU?

v0icAvfW.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/29/2023 at 11:38 AM, NorCalCoug said:

Will you applaud the PAC adding the likes of SDSU and <maybe> SMU?

i don't expect you to agree but adding SDSU to the PAC makes more sense than any of the Big12 adds...

adding SMU is stupid

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Recently Browsing   1 member




×
×
  • Create New...