Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 4/11/2023 at 5:30 PM, BaylorGuy314 said:

In football, based on the last 10 or so years, you're right- the PAC might be more competitive to lose those programs. The issue won't be quality of competition, it will be money and what effect those two leaving would have on media rights. 

Nonsense, in his mind they could replace Arizona and Colorado with BSU/Tulane/CSU and the PAC wouldn’t skip a beat.  He’s delusional.

v0icAvfW.jpg

On 4/11/2023 at 4:30 PM, BaylorGuy314 said:

In football, based on the last 10 or so years, you're right- the PAC might be more competitive to lose those programs. The issue won't be quality of competition, it will be money and what effect those two leaving would have on media rights. 

Like I said, I'm sure they don't want to lose CU. But Zona is just decent to good basketball and rarely good football and they dont own the big metro in the state like ASU does. In ten years SDSU/ASU will have more value to the PAC than UA/ASU. 

• Haha 2

On 4/11/2023 at 8:27 PM, BaylorGuy314 said:

I've read before about the apprehension to adding Montana and Montana State and I don't really understand it. Who is a better fit? 

In terms of geographical location, facilities, fan support, a great rivalry game and overall sports performance we'd fit perfectly with the MWC (and immediately have some the best Fan Support and Facilities). The issue is we do practically nothing for Media $$ or recruiting. Unfortunately money is everything these days and on top of the fact we will not leave the other school, MSU and Montana are a package deal.

On 4/11/2023 at 11:36 PM, utgrizfan said:

In terms of geographical location, facilities, fan support, a great rivalry game and overall sports performance we'd fit perfectly with the MWC (and immediately have some the best Fan Support and Facilities). The issue is we do practically nothing for Media $$ or recruiting. Unfortunately money is everything these days and on top of the fact we will not leave the other school, MSU and Montana are a package deal.

Do the Montana's have the jack to sustain a G5 Level Athletic Department ?

They would have to seriously increase Sports, Scholarships, and Spending.

Much if what I have read is they are happy where they are. True/False ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 4/11/2023 at 11:02 PM, AztecSU said:

Like I said, I'm sure they don't want to lose CU. But Zona is just decent to good basketball and rarely good football and they dont own the big metro in the state like ASU does. In ten years SDSU/ASU will have more value to the PAC than UA/ASU. 

762A6FDF-C591-4F53-B2B0-8DC0D2834503.gif.432b44fc75f316bf7fdaa0d3fc296e8c.gif

v0icAvfW.jpg

For me anyway, at this point discussion on this topic has become nearly pointless, there seems to be no clear direction from anywhere. 

People believe what they want to believe and find support for their thoughts from whatever source that seems to provide it.  Hence, people are reduced to arguing about things that may not have any base in reality.

From all sides it may just be best to wait until something actually is announced because no one here actually has any true insight into what will actually happen. jmo

• Like 4

On 4/12/2023 at 7:26 AM, Someone Else said:

For me anyway, at this point discussion on this topic has become nearly pointless, there seems to be no clear direction from anywhere. 

People believe what they want to believe and find support for their thoughts from whatever source that seems to provide it.  Hence, people are reduced to arguing about things that may not have any base in reality.

From all sides it may just be best to wait until something actually is announced because no one here actually has any true insight into what will actually happen. jmo

No, it is in fact true that Arizona football is trash and they struggle to reach the 2mm ratings with any regularity while playing in a power conference 😁. But yeah, who knows what the hell the PAC is going to do. 

On 4/12/2023 at 6:52 AM, AztecSU said:

Love that @NorCalCoug and @RSF are vouching for the quality of Zona whose football team can’t get better ratings that SDSU while SDSU is still in the MW. These are geniuses at work guys. 

I don't think the issue is how UofA compares to SDSU.  The issue is how UofA compares to any team available to the PAC to backfill if they leave.  SDSU is not the backfill for UofA.  SDSU would be the backfill for U$C.

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2023 at 8:52 AM, AztecSU said:

Love that @NorCalCoug and @RSF are vouching for the quality of Zona whose football team can’t get better ratings that SDSU while SDSU is still in the MW. These are geniuses at work guys. 

Learn to read.  Not what I was doing.

• Haha 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 4/12/2023 at 8:40 AM, BYUcougfan said:

I don't think the issue is how UofA compares to SDSU.  The issue is how UofA compares to any team available to the PAC to backfill if they leave.  SDSU is not the backfill for UofA.  SDSU would be the backfill for U$C.

Nope, there was no replacing OU and UT just like there is no replacing USC and UCLA. It’s about what you have going forward. And the facts are Arizona is one it the worst performing PAC schools when it comes to FB tv ratings.

On 4/12/2023 at 8:44 AM, AztecSU said:

Nope, there was no replacing OU and UT just like there is no replacing USC and UCLA. It’s about what you have going forward. And the facts are Arizona is one it the worst performing PAC schools when it comes to FB tv ratings.

True, but my guess is the backfill will be worse, without the upside that UofA has.  They have a decent fan base in AZ.

On 4/12/2023 at 8:46 AM, BYUcougfan said:

True, but my guess is the backfill will be worse, without the upside that UofA has.  They have a decent fan base in AZ.

JMO. But I think Boise and Fresno would be a net improvement ratings wise as replacements(assuming SDSU and SMU are already joining). So the PAC has options, depends on how stuck up they want to be. And to be clear I think Zona is a good add for the b12 because of the quality of Hoops. If the b12 were to add Gonzaga and Zona conference basketball in the b12 would be on its own level.

On 4/12/2023 at 8:53 AM, AztecSU said:

JMO. But I think Boise and Fresno would be a net improvement ratings wise as replacements(assuming SDSU and SMU are already joining). So the PAC has options, depends on how stuck up they want to be. And to be clear I think Zona is a good add for the b12 because of the quality of Hoops. If the b12 were to add Gonzaga and Zona conference basketball in the b12 would be on its own level.

Boise for sure and maybe Fresno.  However, if UofA puts a winner on the field, UofA will be higher than both of them.  I just am not sure Boise/Fresno would get an invite.  Solid athletics departments, but PAC...

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 9:36 AM, BYUcougfan said:

Boise for sure and maybe Fresno.  However, if UofA puts a winner on the field, UofA will be higher than both of them.  I just am not sure Boise/Fresno would get an invite.  Solid athletics departments, but PAC...

Arizona has been in the big boy club for awhile now.  That alone puts them decades ahead of any remaining G5, and some folks even still have trouble acknowledging Utah and TCU as being on their same level, even though the results of football are incomparable.  

Legacy status will take decades for any current G5 to pass, and that is if they perform well and Zona doesn't.  It is what it is.  I am glad SDSU is in a region with a lot of bandwagoners who aren't hopping on this train yet because of the preconception of being an inferior product based on conference ("you are good for a MWC team but you aren't PAC12").  Boise has pretty much owned a lot of their state's population, and Fresno dominates their region, where SDSU doesn't.  Their goals are to branch further outside of their fiefdom, where the SDSU's, SMU's, Memphis' and maybe Hawaii can grow more in their own markets as well as spread outside.  I am guessing the honchos are factoring that.  

On 4/12/2023 at 10:15 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

Arizona has been in the big boy club for awhile now.  That alone puts them decades ahead of any remaining G5, and some folks even still have trouble acknowledging Utah and TCU as being on their same level, even though the results of football are incomparable.  

Legacy status will take decades for any current G5 to pass, and that is if they perform well and Zona doesn't.  It is what it is.  I am glad SDSU is in a region with a lot of bandwagoners who aren't hopping on this train yet because of the preconception of being an inferior product based on conference ("you are good for a MWC team but you aren't PAC12").  Boise has pretty much owned a lot of their state's population, and Fresno dominates their region, where SDSU doesn't.  Their goals are to branch further outside of their fiefdom, where the SDSU's, SMU's, Memphis' and maybe Hawaii can grow more in their own markets as well as spread outside.  I am guessing the honchos are factoring that.  

SDSU owns its market. Look no further than the MW Conf champ doing better locally in ratings than the PAC championship. No doubt there are a lot of PAC grads/fans in SD. But the region is dominated by Padres/Aztecs now and it’s now particularly close. Ask USD/UCSD.

2 hours ago, BaylorGuy314 said:

I mean, yes, you are correct. But where's the fun in that?

Well, yes, it was fun... for a while.  Now it just seems silly because all that's happening is the same potential outcomes keep getting repeated over and over and over... 

Now if someone came up with something new... like a network deciding they are going to put together a new conference which consists of all the best brands (universities) between the P12/B12.... paying enough to actually make it happen... now that would be new and fun....

But trust me, now that I typed that I will have several of people tell me how that's not possible  (and dumb) because of xyz...  

I get it... 

• Cheers 1

On 4/12/2023 at 8:53 AM, AztecSU said:

I go to Tucson 2-3 times a year as I have in-laws there. That whole town is 'Cats, 'Cats, 'Cats everywhere you look. Their local paper covers every sport the school plays. I only wish SD was like that. Once their football starts rolling (a big IF, I know) the town will go crazy over their team. For my own selfish reasons, if we get invited to the PAC, I hope UofA stays. We'd become their number 2 rival after ASU. And as much as us locals have disdain for the Zoner tourists, I'd welcome their $ spent at Snapdragon and all around town.

On 4/12/2023 at 10:19 AM, AztecSU said:

SDSU owns its market. Look no further than the MW Conf champ doing better locally in ratings than the PAC championship. No doubt there are a lot of PAC grads/fans in SD. But the region is dominated by Padres/Aztecs now and it’s now particularly close. Ask USD/UCSD.

I am not saying SDSU doesn't have control of it, but it isn't saturated.  If we did a ratio of population to fan, or populations to viewer, we will see a difference between SD, Boise, and Fresno.  SDSU has an advantage of more bodies to pick up in its region.  Same with SMU.