Jump to content
Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Another downstream effect of this whole thing is many schools can get a sense of their own market value with these reports in the negative direction as well.  BYU is the perfect example, they have been noticeably absent from national rumors and conjecture across the board.  Just shows some of what’s changed since the last time we went through this 9 or so years ago.  

Has anything happened yet with Texas and OU.  BYU's name comes up as much as anyone else.  Heck, I posted this link earlier today it from May 12,, 2021 BYU to the BIG 12 Conference is Closer to Happening Then Ever! Here’s why:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Warbow said:

So many of you with hopes of going to a larger conference when you can’t even afford Travel to Hawaii. You guys crack me up.

 

And that's just for one sport.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bornsilverandblue said:

Not sure of who this guy is or who his source is, but if true…

WVU moving could be nothing but a win-win-win (Big 12 shedding an outlier, WVU joining a conference that is a more natural fit, ACC gets a solid football/bball school that helps balance their geography). Or it could be a straw that breaks the camel’s back that causes some schools to panic and put the full court press on the Pac-12 for invites and effectively kill the Big 12. Maybe they agree to some prolonged wait for full TV deal payouts like the B1G additions had to do 8-10 years ago, who knows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bornsilverandblue said:

Not sure of who this guy is or who his source is, but if true…

Oh we know that guy.  Blind squirrel finding a nut comes to mind

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

if the p4 conspiracy is true, sec is done with 16 teams. acc takes west virginia and notre dame. big10 takes kansas and iowa state. pac12 has 4 picks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kalua pig said:

if the p4 conspiracy is true, sec is done with 16 teams. acc takes west virginia and notre dame. big10 takes kansas and iowa state. pac12 has 4 picks.

ND isn’t budging from Indy.  They have a path with 6 at large spots in the new CFP format.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

WVU moving could be nothing but a win-win-win (Big 12 shedding an outlier, WVU joining a conference that is a more natural fit, ACC gets a solid football/bball school that helps balance their geography). Or it could be a straw that breaks the camel’s back that causes some schools to panic and put the full court press on the Pac-12 for invites and effectively kill the Big 12. Maybe they agree to some prolonged wait for full TV deal payouts like the B1G additions had to do 8-10 years ago, who knows.

And the remaining Big 12 teams would be up to 215 to 240 million in windfall exit fee money. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Headbutt said:

8)  According to one guy reading between the lines.

Maybe, but they all make sense.

 

Well...number 7 was ME reading between the lines.:P

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kalua pig said:

if the p4 conspiracy is true, sec is done with 16 teams. acc takes west virginia and notre dame. big10 takes kansas and iowa state. pac12 has 4 picks.

Notre Dame will keep the same agreement, the ACC is fine with it.  It's not a bad arrangement for either party.  I think if ACC has to take anyone, WVU is a good option.  Other only options really available that would make sense would be Cincy (nope) and UConn (they should just stay BE and drop their football from FBS)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

Who would win Big-12 or PAC-12 for inviting members?  Who has the better NCAA Tournament Credits and Bowl Games?  Probably PAC-12.

It probably wouldn't make sense to start a whole new conference.  So if PAC-12 had eight schools, who do they add?

The word is 'merger'.

 

And the Big 12 has more credits historically (last year it was about even, 19 to 18 P12) and better bowls.  The bowls dont matter, though, because bowls get re-do every few years.

 

 

CONFERENCE PAYOUTS

Here's a look at how much each of college basketball's biggest conferences have been paid from 1997 to 2018:

— Big Ten: $340.4 million.

— Atlantic Coast: $316.3 million.

— Big 12: $307.3 million.

— Southeastern: $266.4 million.

— Pac-12: $247.7 million.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bornsilverandblue said:

Not sure of who this guy is or who his source is, but if true…

The word to describe MHver3 is 'notorious'.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice though it would be (for me and my compatriots, anyways), there is no way it plays out that way.  Adding TCU AND Baylor to Wake Forest just isnt going to happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The California schools leaving the Pac is SDSUs wet dream.  Without them, they need a California presence and we are head and shoulders above any other schools.  Plus without the California snobbery BYU likely gets an invite.   It would a huge upgrade over the original MWC before all the WAC crap was added.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Waiting for the B1G to raid the PAC-12 now. USC has talked to the B1G off and on for almost two years. And now, more and more chatter is happening about the possibility. USC, UCLA, Oregon, And Colorado had conversations with the BIG over the weekend. Washington and Arizona goes with them to make a 20 team B1G.

West Virginia and Notre Dame to the ACC with perhaps Kansas, Iowa State, TCU, and Baylor to make a 20 team ACC.

So unless the B1G only takes 4 PAC schools, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Kansas State plus the remaining PAC schools get left out.

Too much chatter going on about it right now. Perhaps enough Universities will ban together and get Congress involved.

As a lifelong viewer of the Big Ten, if they take PAC teams, that will be extremely disappointing.  I hope they keep the already bastardized footprint of predominantly midwest major universities.  Regionality is a good thing.  Sucks how the money created this monster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AztecMD said:

The California schools leaving the Pac is SDSUs wet dream.  Without them, they need a California presence and we are head and shoulders above any other schools.  Plus without the California snobbery BYU likely gets an invite.   It would a huge upgrade over the original MWC before all the WAC crap was added.  

Stanford and Cal would still likely be in the PAC-12.

It all depends on whether both the PAC-12 and Big-12 could co-exist at that point, which is what we would want to happen!

We want Big-12 and PAC-12 to be fighting as they both have to add additional members.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Waiting for the B1G to raid the PAC-12 now. USC has talked to the B1G off and on for almost two years. And now, more and more chatter is happening about the possibility. USC, UCLA, Oregon, And Colorado had conversations with the BIG over the weekend. Washington and Arizona goes with them to make a 20 team B1G.

West Virginia and Notre Dame to the ACC with perhaps Kansas, Iowa State, TCU, and Baylor to make a 20 team ACC.

So unless the B1G only takes 4 PAC schools, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Kansas State plus the remaining PAC schools get left out.

Too much chatter going on about it right now. Perhaps enough Universities will ban together and get Congress involved.

They would be making a mistake with Arizona over Arizona State.  But I am ok with that, I would rather them leave Arizona State behind for us.

I am not convinced that all PAC-12 leftovers would want to combine with all Big 12 leftovers.

I am hopeful that if PAC-12 is raided by BIG that the PAC-12 and Big 12 are both able to stay alive and exist.  This way they both have to backfill.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ibanez said:

Here is another thought. USC may not wanna leave Cal and Stanford behind and if these power conferences work together perhaps Maryland, Rutgers, and Penn State join Notre Dame, West Virginia and one more to the ACC. That frees up more room in the BIG.

Does USC really care about the Bay schools that much?  UCLA? Sure.  I don't see too much care about Stanford and Cal by USC fans though.  I would guess ND is a bigger rival than Cal or Stanford in their eyes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Here is another thought. USC may not wanna leave Cal and Stanford behind and if these power conferences work together perhaps Maryland, Rutgers, and Penn State join Notre Dame, West Virginia and one more to the ACC. That frees up more room in the BIG.

just stop.  If USC has been talking to the Big 10 - and that was a given before you mentioned it, because the big schools are always talking - then they already dont care if they leave the Bay Area schools behind,

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...