Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 11/28/2022 at 7:06 AM, RSF said:

If your AD was focused on Tulane and not his job, a lot of people would be upset.  Coaches, players, boosters, administration...Job descriptions and such...

Wait a second here. Are you saying ADs don’t coach the teams during championship week to finish strong? 

And they hire coaches and pay them millions of dollars to do a job? So the AD isn’t in team meetings drawing up plays and coverages? 

I know our AD is still balls deep in P12 meetings. It’s too bad he’s not doing his job by breaking down film for Kyle Whittingham to get ready for USC. 

Or is this just another example of Woosh’s predictions all year turning into a chapter 7 bankruptcy?

On 11/19/2022 at 11:27 AM, Spaztecs said:

They also had to cut a separate TV deal from the rest of the PAC because the TV partners weren't going to up the ante for Colorado and Utah. There were only two years left on the TV deal. The Utes did sign with Pac12 Network, for less than the others but still much more than MW money.

Still, if the Aztecs are offered a gradual full share or even a permanent reduced share, they should be offered an avenue to recoup that difference in revenue as I suggested in an earlier post.

Utah’s deal was very straightforward. It didn’t involve separate TV deals.  The TV deal started in 2011. 

We agreed to no money from the standard contract in 2011. But the CCG TV revenue was considered “New Money” revenue and we got a full share from this. Not a lot but to Utah at the time, it was likely a better paycheck than our MWC payout. 

2012 50% share, 2013 75% and a full share in 2014.  So it wasn’t separate TV deals, just an agreement to take less money for a few years of the overall contract. 

On 11/29/2022 at 9:48 AM, utenation said:

Utah’s deal was very straightforward. It didn’t involve separate TV deals.  The TV deal started in 2011. 

We agreed to no money from the standard contract in 2011. But the CCG revenue was a separate entity and we got a full share from this. Not a lot but to Utah at the time, it was likely a better paycheck than our MWC payout. 

2012 50% share, 2013 75% and a full share in 2014.  So it wasn’t separate TV deals, just an agreement to take less money for a few years of the overall contract. 

And that's fairly common.  Same concept for TCU, WV, Rutgers, Louisville, et al.  Graduated distributions (not simply TV money) in the initial years.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 11/29/2022 at 9:06 AM, RSF said:

And that's fairly common.  Same concept for TCU, WV, Rutgers, Louisville, et al.  Graduated distributions (not simply TV money) in the initial years.

Once we had the P12 name tag, we developed a lot more sponsorship revenue and more booster donations.  It was perfect timing to grow our budget efficiently.

Utah runs lean and mean on the books. 2020 hurt us just like it did at many schools. 

On 11/29/2022 at 7:36 AM, RSF said:

@Did I hear a WOOSH?No response?  No goalpost moving?  

I'm shocked.  Not like you to run from facts.

Shocked I tell ya...

Week zero is not the same as championship weekend, and the news broke September 1st, became public knowledge September 4th.  Shocked that you would misrepresent something as fact, shocked I tell you.  So one time ever that you can recall, I think my point stands rsf.  

• Haha 1

On 12/3/2022 at 10:05 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Week zero is not the same as championship weekend, and the news broke September 1st, became public knowledge September 4th.  Shocked that you would misrepresent something as fact, shocked I tell you.  So one time ever that you can recall, I think my point stands rsf.  

Your point is at the top of your head.  Took you a long time to come up with such a lame retort.  Sad, even by your standards.

That you ignored most of the situations I referenced to focus on one shocks me not at all.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 11/30/2022 at 5:35 PM, Cleopatra said:

i thought that San Diego St. and SMU would have been announced to the Pac12 by now

this is all waiting on UCLA in my opinion

On December 14, the University of California board of regents are expected to FINALLY GTF off of their let's-placate-underachieving-Cal-and-force-UCLA-to-stay-in-the-Pac horse. All reports are that the only regents still riding that horse are Cal alumni and unfortunately for the Bores, they compose a small minority of the regents. However, having followed this closely, I still don't think SDSU's addition to the Pac will be announced until sometime in the new year. Even then, because the Pac leadership always moves at a snail's pace, that announcement will include that the Pac hasn't decided whether to add a second school. Then this board will get REALLY fun watching UNLV and Fresno State fans crap all over each other about which one is more deserving of getting such a promotion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/15/2022 at 8:21 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

PAC is still benefiting from preseason west coast bias, which will always make you look better in the first half of the season.  It fades annually like clockwork for the PAC.  But seriously, good luck against USC future conference mate. The Massey composite trends are tightening between the PAC and ACC for fourth/fifth place. And 3/4 of the new adds are top 25 caliber teams.  The other would be the best basketball school in the PAC.  

By the way, don’t think UCF is meh anymore.  I’m stunned myself but now that our offense has been let loose we’re one of only three schools in the country with both a top 15 defense and offense (Alabama and Michigan).  

And our Space Game uni’s are the best this year.

Woosh, what the hell happened this year? You had the "West Coast Bias" thing in your back pocket right? I'm really confused now after what you said.

How on earth does the P12 still have 6 ranked teams in the top 18 in the final CFP rankings? You said these nonsense rankings fade by the end of the season?  UCF isn't Meh anymore? 9-4 in a average at best conference loaded with cupcakes isn't impressive. You said 3/4 of the new B12 teams are T25 material. I couldn't find BYU, UCF, Cincy or Houston anywhere near the rankings? Can you help me find where they are ranked? I might have missed something. 

You also went on and on in this thread about how much better UCF is than # 8 Utah as a program and school in every category. Utah is in the Rose Bowl again. Not bad for such a shitty football program. BTW how on earth is Utah favored by 2.5 over a highly ranked 10-2 Penn State club? You should scold Vegas ASAP. Clearly these odds are wrong. 

If "Powerhouse" UCF were going up against Penn State, State would probably be favored by 14-17 points at a neutral site. 

• Haha 1

Utah is the program to strive for. Solid every year, no off-field issues, great game day experience, and fans were very welcoming (went to SDSU game).

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

On 12/5/2022 at 11:50 AM, Dirtball said:

Utah is the program to strive for. Solid every year, no off-field issues, great game day experience, and fans were very welcoming (went to SDSU game).

But we don’t have a cool name for our stadium like “The Bounce House of Rust”. 

Seriously, glad you had a great time in SLC sans the loss. Hopefully you went to our tailgating lot(s). We like to party. 

On 12/5/2022 at 11:23 AM, utenation said:

But we don’t have a cool name for our stadium like “The Bounce House of Rust”. 

Seriously, glad you had a great time in SLC sans the loss. Hopefully you went to our tailgating lot(s). We like to party. 

Honestly, we had trouble finding the lots. We started in downtown and slowly hit random bars on our way to the stadium, as we got closer they were harder to find. However, we did randomly walk by the Dumb and Dumber apartment, that someone pointed out to us lol.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

On 11/30/2022 at 6:35 PM, Cleopatra said:

i thought that San Diego St. and SMU would have been announced to the Pac12 by now

this is all waiting on UCLA in my opinion

I think so as well, I'm wondering if the expanded playoff announcement might affect the decision as well. A PAC12 with UCLA staying and SDSU joining would arguably be better to get a Playoff bid then traveling across the country in the BIG10. However $$ will matter most at the end of the day.

• Like 2

TV viewership for the championship game by P5 conference.

SEC: 10.89M

Big 10: 10.70M

Big 12: 9.41M

Pac 12: 5.97M

ACC: 3.47M

Oh, and that's without Texas or OU in our championship game. The new Big 12 will be just fine.

• Cheers 1

On 12/5/2022 at 4:49 PM, Dirtball said:

Honestly, we had trouble finding the lots. We started in downtown and slowly hit random bars on our way to the stadium, as we got closer they were harder to find. However, we did randomly walk by the Dumb and Dumber apartment, that someone pointed out to us lol.

You were in good hands then. Took the Redline Trax to the stadium I'm guessing? If there is a next time, the main tailgating lot is just South East of the stadium. You could drink for free. People would welcome you to their setups.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 2:25 PM, RSF said:

TV viewership for the championship game by P5 conference.

SEC: 10.89M

Big 10: 10.70M

Big 12: 9.41M

Pac 12: 5.97M

ACC: 3.47M

Oh, and that's without Texas or OU in our championship game. The new Big 12 will be just fine.

Yes, the B12 is going to be just fine...who is saying otherwise? Having TCU top 4 and a great game that went to OT helps. PAC/B12 will be fighting for 4th in the ratings/rankings from now on until the ACC gets swallowed and they can start fighting for 3rd. Can someone explain why the PAC plays their CCG on a Friday though, I honestly don't get it?

Ratings....they used to include prior year comparison on Sports Media Watch, oh well. 

image.png.0fca71a617f137d03c6a3234d3710d64.png

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2022 at 4:41 PM, AztecSU said:

Yes, the B12 is going to be just fine...who is saying otherwise? Having TCU top 4 and a great game that went to OT helps. PAC/B12 will be fighting for 4th in the ratings/rankings from now on until the ACC gets swallowed and they can start fighting for 3rd. Can someone explain why the PAC plays their CCG on a Friday though, I honestly don't get it?

Ratings....they used to include prior year comparison on Sports Media Watch, oh well. 

image.png.0fca71a617f137d03c6a3234d3710d64.png

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2021/12/sec-championship-ratings-season-high-georgia-alabama-big-ten-acc-cincinnati/

Big 12 was in 3rd place last year, too.  With Baylor/Okie State.  Pac 12 was 4th both years...by quite a bit.  

I am surprised that so few watched USC Utah Friday night.   It had everything going for it, including a Heisman candidate, CFP berth, revenge, blue blood in a major market, upset possibility, etc.  

Not surprised that do few watched the ACC CG.  Both teams coming off losses hurt and having no CFP impact hurt.

Bye Bye, Best of luck! !! May the MWC survive, and prosper

On 12/6/2022 at 2:50 PM, RSF said:

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2021/12/sec-championship-ratings-season-high-georgia-alabama-big-ten-acc-cincinnati/

Big 12 was in 3rd place last year, too.  With Baylor/Okie State.  Pac 12 was 4th both years...by quite a bit.  

So long as the PAC keeps playing their CCG on Friday's they will continue to be 4th wrt to CCG ratings, I meant overall/prestige. That said maybe ACC should do the same instead of going head to head with the B10 again? Early this year I questioned the overall value of a 4th CFB broadcasting window, it has value but more for the broadcasters need to fill time, not for the conf's need to gain a decent sized audience. Notice the PAC prefers to play Friday's instead of kicking off 7:30pm PST for their CCG, sure makes the value of that 4th window seem questionable. 

On 12/6/2022 at 2:58 PM, Cougar/Frog said:

I am surprised that so few watched USC Utah Friday night.   It had everything going for it, including a Heisman candidate, CFP berth, revenge, blue blood in a major market, upset possibility, etc.  

Not surprised that do few watched the ACC CG.  Both teams coming off losses hurt and having no CFP impact hurt.

I just checked and before the pandemic in 19', the PAC CCG did about a 5.5 rtg. So that seems to be the range for a Friday broadcast. Thinking about it a little more, the PACs options are to go up against conferences better located for the early and midday kick, or fight with B10/ACC for late? IMO, ACC should probably move to Friday too. PAC/ACC Friday, B12/SEC/B10 Saturday. Now the top 5 all get their own time slot, even if Friday night has lower total potential viewership, still better then fighting each other for viewers to end up with a similar or worse number.