Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 11/4/2022 at 3:50 AM, utgrizfan said:

Don't know if this has been seen yet but looks like the 15th-17th to decide if UCLA will be allowed to leave for the BIG10:

https://footballscoop.com/news/university-of-california-regents-ucla-big-ten-cal-realignment

I personally still think they're gone, but the "what if" portion is interesting to think about. One thing that wasn't mentioned is the expanded Playoff giving the PAC12 Champion and maybe an At Large team a shot to getting there without having to deal with the Ohio States and Michigan's of the BIG10

Will it give PAC teams $40M in additional TV $$$?  Next to zero chance UCLA doesn’t go.

v0icAvfW.jpg

On 11/4/2022 at 10:11 AM, utenation said:

Who said we are expecting $40M?

Alluding to the variance between the PAC and B1G media deals.  UCLA would be missing out on a large chunk of $$$ if the BOR held this up.  The saber rattling is all for show, don’t believe there’s any true interest in stopping UCLA’s move.

v0icAvfW.jpg

On 11/4/2022 at 11:03 AM, NorCalCoug said:

Alluding to the variance between the PAC and B1G media deals.  UCLA would be missing out on a large chunk of $$$ if the BOR held this up.  The saber rattling is all for show, don’t believe there’s any true interest in stopping UCLA’s move.

got it. I misread that. 

On 11/4/2022 at 10:03 AM, NorCalCoug said:

The saber rattling is at the behest of Elitist U, Cal. Although Cal may still have the juice within the UC Board of Regents that it always did, it wrongly thinks it still has the same clout within the conference it did when it was the Pac-8.

• Like 1

I guess Dan Patrick is reporting that SDSU will be invited to the P12. Could happen as soon as this week. We will see.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

On 11/7/2022 at 9:32 AM, lakesbison said:

NDSU into sdsu's spot sounds perfect.  We can start next fall!!!

Enjoy a lot of pedestrian football from your School until you have the budget and pieces in place to compete at this level.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 11/7/2022 at 9:32 AM, lakesbison said:

NDSU into sdsu's spot sounds perfect.  We can start next fall!!!

San Diego for Fargo?  I don't know.  I think not, but we'll see.  Congrats to SDSU if it happens.  That's great news for their programs.

On 11/7/2022 at 9:15 AM, robe said:

It’s a premium article. What’s the take on UNLV and Gonzaga 

That's weird. I clicked on it and no pay wall. It's not really premium. You can read most of his articles on other news websites. It's just a few websites that it's behind a pay wall. Copied and pasted for you the section about Gonzaga and UNLV. 

Did the Pac-12 reach out to Gonzaga for possible expansion? — @MarcSheehan006

Of course, the Pac-12 has discussed membership with Gonzaga — and with San Diego State, too, for that matter.

Everybody’s talking to everybody. The difference is that the Big 12’s meeting with Gonzaga was leaked to the media, while the Pac-12 has kept conversations private.

We won’t offer a guess on Gonzaga’s ultimate destination — the Big East is also a possibility — and it’s entirely possible the Zags stay right where they are.

There’s a strong case to be made that the WCC provides coach Mark Few with the best path to the national championship.

There’s talk about adding Gonzaga and San Diego State, but why not UNLV? Adding the Las Vegas market seems to be a logical play given its growth and the access to venues: football as well as basketball. — @BradBelstock

There are three elements to the Pac-12’s evaluation of new members: the competitive fit, the financial fit, and the institutional fit.

I’m not sure the Rebels work on any level.

UNLV isn’t a top-tier academic school, the football program is subpar and the Las Vegas market, while growing, doesn’t provide nearly enough value (No. 40 nationally) to increase revenue for the existing schools.

In contrast, San Diego State is a better fit in every category.

And we’d make the case that Fresno State is, too.

On 11/7/2022 at 12:22 PM, Sportzaddict said:

That's weird. I clicked on it and no pay wall. It's not really premium. You can read most of his articles on other news websites. It's just a few websites that it's behind a pay wall. Copied and pasted for you the section about Gonzaga and UNLV. 

Did the Pac-12 reach out to Gonzaga for possible expansion? — @MarcSheehan006

Of course, the Pac-12 has discussed membership with Gonzaga — and with San Diego State, too, for that matter.

Everybody’s talking to everybody. The difference is that the Big 12’s meeting with Gonzaga was leaked to the media, while the Pac-12 has kept conversations private.

We won’t offer a guess on Gonzaga’s ultimate destination — the Big East is also a possibility — and it’s entirely possible the Zags stay right where they are.

There’s a strong case to be made that the WCC provides coach Mark Few with the best path to the national championship.

There’s talk about adding Gonzaga and San Diego State, but why not UNLV? Adding the Las Vegas market seems to be a logical play given its growth and the access to venues: football as well as basketball. — @BradBelstock

There are three elements to the Pac-12’s evaluation of new members: the competitive fit, the financial fit, and the institutional fit.

I’m not sure the Rebels work on any level.

UNLV isn’t a top-tier academic school, the football program is subpar and the Las Vegas market, while growing, doesn’t provide nearly enough value (No. 40 nationally) to increase revenue for the existing schools.

In contrast, San Diego State is a better fit in every category.

And we’d make the case that Fresno State is, too.

It is premium.

image.png.71a66849205a44d8554146bfc5f0f4bf.png

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 11/7/2022 at 11:21 AM, RSF said:

It is premium.

image.png.71a66849205a44d8554146bfc5f0f4bf.png

I don't have a subscription to it and I access that website fine. It does say free if you register. I've never registered for any access either. Like I said though, the article is on many other news websites without having to register and not behind a wall.

https://www.sbsun.com/2022/11/04/hotline-mailbag-impact-of-the-big-12s-deal-the-fate-of-oregon-and-uw-an-amazon-question-gonzaga-and-unlv-as-options-and-more/

EDIT: What I copied and posted above works. For some reason it's how it's formatted. If anyone wants to read it, just highlight the area or just click the link I posted here to a different news outlet.

On 11/7/2022 at 1:43 PM, Sportzaddict said:

I don't have a subscription to it and I access that website fine. It does say free if you register. I've never registered for any access either. Like I said though, the article is on many other news websites without having to register and not behind a wall.

https://www.sbsun.com/2022/11/04/hotline-mailbag-impact-of-the-big-12s-deal-the-fate-of-oregon-and-uw-an-amazon-question-gonzaga-and-unlv-as-options-and-more/

EDIT: What I copied and posted above works. For some reason it's how it's formatted. If anyone wants to read it, just highlight the area or just click the link I posted here to a different news outlet.

Looks UNLV is a no go. SDSU and Gonzaga are strong possibilities for the PAC

The Masters 5k road race All American.

On 11/7/2022 at 6:28 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

A lot of sites like that give you X number of freebies and then after five or so you get a paywall. IIRC that happened to me with the Mercury News.

I’m not sure if you follow his AP voting but that’s 1 view/week for MN which doesn’t leave much room for opinion pieces like that.  His votes are worth the click though, he’s silly.  

On 11/7/2022 at 10:14 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I’m not sure if you follow his AP voting but that’s 1 view/week for MN which doesn’t leave much room for opinion pieces like that.  His votes are worth the click though, he’s silly.  

Speaking of the AP poll, haven’t you been telling the whole world that the P12 is a terrible conference?

You said we benefit from “West Coast Bias” at the first of the year but all that fades away by the end of the season, right? 

So how on earth does the P12 have 6 teams ranked in the AP this late in the season? That’s nearly 25% of the poll. 

Must be a typo?