Jump to content
Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, 1066 said:

Only BYU would have a good chance of getting in. Cincy and SDSU and Houston would have a VERY  VERY outside chance.  Really I don't see anyone except BYU getting in.  If Okie and Texas depart the B12 TV money would go down by 50% or more.

But with only four top conferences getting autobids to the Football Tournament this should be good news for the rest of us.

TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, OK State, Kansas St and Iowa State will need to join forces with someone if they can't get into the PAC-12.  (WV and Kansas are gone).

BYU, Boise, UNLV, SDSU, Houston, Cincinnati, New Mexico and Memphis are the logical choices.

Will they go to 14?  Will the PAC-12 take any of this group?

I feel confident most of us will move on here in the next few weeks.

MWC should be talking to North Texas, UTEP, UTSA to backfill.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Memphis didn’t even make it to the presentation round during the Big12 expansion charade the first time.  I’m not sure what would’ve changed.  The consultants hired by the big12 only identified two schools worthy of expanding.

if Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC one would think that could cause movement down the line with the other 'Power Conferences' (B1G, ACC, PAC) moving to pick off what's left...Memphis is in a good spot to just wait and see. (Coming off a Cotton Bowl appearance and NIT title)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, UofMTigers said:

if Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC one would think that could cause movement down the line with the other 'Power Conferences' (B1G, ACC, PAC) moving to pick off what's left...Memphis is in a good spot to just wait and see. (Coming off a Cotton Bowl appearance and NIT title)

Most times expansion looks like it is going to blow up hugely and it ends up being smaller than originally thought.

If BIG and SEC have 16, ACC has 15 (including Notre Dame) and the PAC-12 has only 12.  Moves clearly have to be made by the ACC and PAC-12 if the BIG sits still (which they may not).

Expect ACC to move on Kansas/WV. 

BIG may make a run at North Carolina/DUKE in an effort to lure Notre Dame again.

BIG could make a move against PAC-12.

What will PAC-12 do?

BYU, UNLV, SDSU, Colorado State should be in the conversation from out west.

Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis will be looked at also.

Others may get lucky depending on how many moves are made.

About to get interesting.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

if Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC one would think that could cause movement down the line with the other 'Power Conferences' (B1G, ACC, PAC) moving to pick off what's left...Memphis is in a good spot to just wait and see. (Coming off a Cotton Bowl appearance and NIT title)

Honestly Memphis seems like the best positioned team in the AAC when it comes to realignment, for a lot of reasons.

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't get why OU and UT would do this. They will make plenty of money in the Big XII and joining the SEC will increase their losses and potentially reduce their seeding they'd get in the expanded CFP. I think it's an unwise move if it happens.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, sean327 said:

Better source than the shit you’ve been spewing here for years!!

I've almost always been right so go +++++ yourself.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MAD MACGYVER said:

I really don't get why OU and UT would do this. They will make plenty of money in the Big XII and joining the SEC will increase their losses and potentially reduce their seeding they'd get in the expanded CFP. I think it's an unwise move if it happens.

Makes no sense to me either. I think both teams will go to a different conference but I don't see Texas getting that SEC invite. And I think Kansas and Iowa State are the only teams who meet the B1G academic requirements. Plus I'm pretty sure SEC teams complain already that they do not play each other enough.

But I don't see anyone forming a new conference like the best of the PAC-12 and Big 12 either.

But it's obvious something is gonna happen. And not all Big 12 teams are going to P5 conferences. I'd prefer some kind of PAC-12 and Big 12 merger. Because if the remaining Big 12 teams just grab a bunch of AAC teams then the MWC is screwed. If the PAC-12 and Big 12 merger then at least some schools in the MWC will improve their status.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I've almost always been right so go +++++ yourself.

A stopped clock is right at least two times a day, and it has a better track record than your garbage “insider” info. 
You’re the @Nevada Convertof the sports board dude.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Makes no sense to me either. I think both teams will go to a different conference but I don't see Texas getting that SEC invite. And I think Kansas and Iowa State are the only teams who meet the B1G academic requirements. Plus I'm pretty sure SEC teams complain already that they do not play each other enough.

But I don't see anyone forming a new conference like the best of the PAC-12 and Big 12 either.

But it's obvious something is gonna happen. And not all Big 12 teams are going to P5 conferences. I'd prefer some kind of PAC-12 and Big 12 merger. Because if the remaining Big 12 teams just grab a bunch of AAC teams then the MWC is screwed. If the PAC-12 and Big 12 merger then at least some schools in the MWC will improve their status.

PAC-12 is not as safe as people make it out to be.  They are ripe to get picked apart if someone has the balls (BIG).

The ACC is also ripe to get raped. 

Just because the Texas A&M Athletic Director had a hard on for Texas and released that they are talking to the SEC does not mean that other people aren't talking also and we just haven't heard about it yet.  SEC could go to 20 or 24 or 32.  BIG could go to 20 or 24 or 32.

Things could get crazy fast.

 

big_14.conference.png.f2ff8007d8b1a473c24b2539843e1724.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, sean327 said:

A stopped clock is right at least two times a day, and it has a better track record than your garbage “insider” info. 
You’re the @Nevada Convertof the sports board dude.

Highlander rules apply on both of the MWC Boards....there can be only one.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

ESPN just said after reaching out to other conferences their gut feeling was they would all move to 16. But, they would take their time and make sure they get the right institutions. (Like ESPN doesn't know.)

So the Big 12 will be basically dead. Not sure who the B1G and PAC-12 would take at this point,  but every conference except the MAC will probably look different.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

Highlander rules apply on both of the MWC Boards....there can be only one.

I need to watch those movies. I've never seen them and have no clue what they are about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ibanez said:

I've never seen them and have no clue what they are about.

Kind of like your “insider” takes?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MAD MACGYVER said:

I really don't get why OU and UT would do this. They will make plenty of money in the Big XII and joining the SEC will increase their losses and potentially reduce their seeding they'd get in the expanded CFP. I think it's an unwise move if it happens.

I would guess paranoia would play a role in their thinking. Both know that the conference almost assuredly falls apart if the other decides to leave, so it has to be unsettling for successful programs like UT and OU to not truly control their own destiny. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if this potential move isn't part of a bigger plot to move the BIG 10, SEC, ACC, and PAC 12 to 16-team super leagues for an eventual split from FBS.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is impractical for a lot of reasons, but I'd love to see a PAC 16 that   added BYU, CSU, UNR, and UNLV to get to 16. It would take them back to the old PAC 10 structure with the in-state rivals, and cement their long-term place as the mountain/Pacific timezone conference.. One can dream.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If this happens I can see the Big12 adding 8.  Writing is on the wall the the number is 16 and you’re trying to stay competitive and keep the perception of being a power conference so add

UCF

USF

Cincy

Memphis

Houston

SMU

BYU

Boise

They’d be adding big markets, successful football and basketball programs, brand names, and hamstringing the AAC and MW to always be perceived as the 5th best conference. The goal would be stability for when the B1G and ACC make their moves

  • Like 1
  • Super-Mega Idiot 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...