Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 10/15/2022 at 12:19 PM, utenation said:

Let’s revisit this when your team and new conference mates actually play a game in the B12.

You can make a case right now with BYU. They're record this season against P5 competition on 1-3. They finish the season with Stanford.

They and the AAC adds will struggle for a few seasons before becoming competitive.

• Like 1

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 10/16/2022 at 10:16 PM, Spaztecs said:

You can make a case right now with BYU. They're record this season against P5 competition on 1-3. They finish the season with Stanford.

They and the AAC adds will struggle for a few seasons before becoming competitive.

BYU will likely struggle for a while in football, but where they'll really have issues is in basketball.  Gonzaga has been crazy good in recent years and Saint Mary's has also been tournament-worthy most seasons.  The rest of the WCC has improved a lot in recent years, but has generally been several steps down from there.

In the Big12, BYU will be facing a couple recent national title winners (Baylor, Kansas), a national runner-up (Texas Tech), and a bunch of other really good programs.  There won't really be any conference games against stepped down competition.  BYU's recruiting and schemes will have to get a lot better just to get to .500 in conference play on the court.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2022 at 12:33 AM, Pelado said:

BYU will likely struggle for a while in football, but where they'll really have issues is in basketball.  Gonzaga has been crazy good in recent years and Saint Mary's has also been tournament-worthy most seasons.  The rest of the WCC has improved a lot in recent years, but has generally been several steps down from there.

In the Big12, BYU will be facing a couple recent national title winners (Baylor, Kansas), a national runner-up (Texas Tech), and a bunch of other really good programs.  There won't really be any conference games against stepped down competition.  BYU's recruiting and schemes will have to get a lot better just to get to .500 in conference play on the court.

Don’t worry you’ll get to play us in basketball, which should give you a couple wins.  I do think we’ll be immediately competitive in football though.  And womens Bball fwiw.  Mens Bball is going to be rough for us though.

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2022 at 6:51 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I do think we’ll be immediately competitive in football though.  

Of course you do. You think UCF would have a great chance to beat the Buffalo Bills every week. You are clueless if you think AAC football is the same as playing P5 football weekly. 

You know…..The leagues where most of the talent goes. You are pretty dumb bro. 

On 10/16/2022 at 9:58 PM, Pelado said:

Updated as of October 16:

PAC

• 14 - Utah (15)
  • 15 - Oregon (10)
  • 35 - Oregon State
  • 42 - Washington
  • 49 - Washington State
  • 76 - Stanford
  • 79 - Arizona State
  • 82 - California
  • 89 - Arizona
  • 116 - Colorado

nBig12

• 8 - TCU (8)
  • 12 - Oklahoma State (11)
  • 18 - Kansas State (17)
  • 24 - UCF
  • 27 - Cincinnati (21)
  • 29 - Kansas (19)
  • 39 - Texas Tech
  • 41 - Iowa State
  • 43 - Baylor
  • 50 - BYU
  • 54 - Houston
  • 57 - West Virginia

The future PAC continues with two AP-ranked teams (Utah and Oregon) while the remaining Big12 has 4 (TCU, OSU, KSU, Kansas) and the nBig12 adds another (Cincinnati).  The Big12 continues to have more ranked teams as well as the higher-ranked teams.

The worst-rated team in the Big12 (West Virginia) is rated better in the composite than the bottom 50% of teams in the future PAC.

LMAO. Keep grinding those computers bro. Lol at anything thinking Houston and BYU are better than half the PAC.

“Powerhouse” BYU just got clobbered in Provo by a very average Arkansas team right after a loss to a terrible Notre Dame team the week before. How's that Baylor win holding up for BYU? Houston might be able to beat Colorado. Big if. Kansas appears to be retuning to normal. TT? Iowa State? umm, ok. If you and the "computers" say so.

Do you guys even watch games anymore or just stare at Massey rankings all day Saturday?

64DEB4EA-953B-4AA6-AC75-9AB00C28884D.gif

• Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 4:23 PM, Coog kev said:

If not previously posted in this thread, which by now needs its own zip code or telco area code by size.....

...here is PAC dude Wilner's latest. 

The Power Five Implosion

It's a hoot, it is.  Especially this ones. 

The Big 12 could lose a team or two, as well. Kansas would be atop our list of likely departures, followed by Oklahoma State and Houston if the SEC and Big Ten end up as 24-team leagues.

I agree.

This has to be a joke. Because no other conference is interested in Houston. Maybe the AAC or the Sunbelt? I’m sure the B12 wants a refund on that choice. Yikes..

On 10/17/2022 at 11:27 AM, AztecSU said:

Neither the Big12 nor the Pac12 have any truly impressive OOC wins. And if KSU wins the B12, the B12 champ will have lost to an AAC school. 

So what if they lost to an AAC school? An AAC school went to the playoffs last year. Just seems like a random arbitrary litmus test. If Tulane runs the table, they may finish the season top 10.

On 10/17/2022 at 10:27 AM, thespywhozaggedme said:

So what if they lost to an AAC school? An AAC school went to the playoffs last year. Just seems like a random arbitrary litmus test. If Tulane runs the table, they may finish the season top 10.

Tulane lost to Southern Miss, lol. 

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2022 at 10:53 AM, utenation said:

LMAO. Keep grinding those computers bro. Lol at anything thinking Houston and BYU are better than half the PAC.

“Powerhouse” BYU just got clobbered in Provo by a very average Arkansas team right after a loss to a terrible Notre Dame team the week before. How's that Baylor win holding up for BYU? Houston might be able to beat Colorado. Big if. Kansas appears to be retuning to normal. TT? Iowa State? umm, ok. If you and the "computers" say so.

Do you guys even watch games anymore or just stare at Massey rankings all day Saturday?

64DEB4EA-953B-4AA6-AC75-9AB00C28884D.gif

The MAC is better than half the PAC, that’s not saying much. 

On 10/17/2022 at 1:34 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

The MAC is better than half the PAC, that’s not saying much. 

Whats the nB12's best win this year? I'm pretty sure its Texas loss to Alabama...thats not a joke either. 

On 10/17/2022 at 2:42 PM, AztecSU said:

Yes. Seems like both the B12 and PAC dont have much to show for OOC. 

It will be interesting to see how the very soon to be released playoff rankings look. One thing the committee is pretty consistent at is hammering schedules. 

But to the disappointment of @NorCalCougand @Pelado Massey rankings won't be used. Darn it.

On 10/17/2022 at 2:02 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

FWIW here’s the ooc records for this year (only vs p5)

ACC: 6-7

Big12: 7-3

Big10: 4-6

PAC: 2-6

SEC: 7-4

nB12 Wins over: Colorado, ASU, Mizzou, Iowa, Nebraska, VT, Duke Losses to: Pitt, Bama(6), BYU, NC State(23)

Pac12 Wins over: Wisconsin, MichSt, BYU, ND  Losses to: TCU(8), Georgia(1), Florida, OkieSt(11), MissSt(24), ND, Minnesota

Neither conf has any good/great ooc wins, but the PAC has definitely played the harder schedule OOC. Current rankings in parentheses. So it does seem like the Tulane loss helps, even though I was joking. It doesn't help that Baylor lost to BYU, but BYU was blow out by Oregon. 

On 10/17/2022 at 6:11 PM, AztecSU said:

nB12 Wins over: Colorado, ASU, Mizzou, Iowa, Nebraska, VT, Duke Losses to: Pitt, Bama(6), BYU, NC State(23)

Pac12 Wins over: Wisconsin, MichSt, BYU, ND  Losses to: TCU(8), Georgia(1), Florida, OkieSt(11), MissSt(24), ND, Minnesota

Neither conf has any good/great ooc wins, but the PAC has definitely played the harder schedule OOC. Current rankings in parentheses. So it does seem like the Tulane loss helps, even though I was joking. It doesn't help that Baylor lost to BYU, but BYU was blow out by Oregon. 

I guess it depends how you value quality losses.  Don’t think that comes into play often with the playoff committee but I’m sure the AP factors that in.  Regardless 7 wins vs 2 at the p5 level is compelling.

*records above are just vs p5 teams, not independent teams.

On 10/17/2022 at 4:20 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I guess it depends how you value quality losses.  Don’t think that comes into play often with the playoff committee but I’m sure the AP factors that in.  Regardless 7 wins vs 2 at the p5 level is compelling .

Really? Every playoff show I’ve watched since it started has a ton of conversation around schedule. Quality wins and Quality losses to elite teams.

Which CFP shows have you been watching? Perhaps you were watching NASCAR rankings instead?

Again, box of rocks.