Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 8/31/2022 at 6:33 PM, Swedish said:

I've been gone for months and don't really have the time to read 451 pages. What is the opinion of MW fans in adding Oregon State and Washington State? Would they increase our TV deal? I think they would be two great adds for the conference.

Oregon State + Wazzu will hopefully entice Gonzaga to jump on board. That's the A+ scenario for the MWC.

• Like 2

Pac 12 survival now depends on poaching BOTH the MWC and the AAC.

For the Pac 12, if it can DIMINISH BOTH the MWC and AAC then it can still lay claim to being in the Top 5.

The following tweet is exactly what the Pac 12 will need to do.

If the Pac only poaches the MWC, then it risks the AAC snagging the "5th best conference" title.

• Haha 2

On 8/31/2022 at 8:45 PM, BobcatGoldthwait said:

For the Pac 12, if it can DIMINISH BOTH the MWC and AAC then it can still lay claim to being in the Top 5.

If the Pac only poaches the MWC, then it risks the AAC snagging the "5th best conference" title.

I can see SMU, but no reason to add Tulsa or UTSA. In this scenario if we're keeping every MW member, we might as well keep SJSU. UTSA is basically the Texas version of SJSU. 

The real goal would be to lure Gonzaga in the scenario, hopefully more of a northwestern focus and a natural rivalry with WSU would help.

On 8/31/2022 at 6:49 PM, bigd said:

I can see SMU, but no reason to add Tulsa or UTSA. In this scenario if we're keeping every MW member, we might as well keep SJSU. UTSA is basically the Texas version of SJSU. 

The real goal would be to lure Gonzaga in the scenario, hopefully more of a northwestern focus and a natural rivalry with WSU would help.

A month ago I posted a prediction on the CSNBBS realignment board that if the Pac-12 is reduced to just Oregon State and Washington State, those two schools will join forces with the 12 MWC schools plus SMU, Rice, UTSA, UTEP, Tulsa and Memphis to form a 20-member best-of-the-rest conference.

The intent would be to stake a strong claim as the 5th best FBS conference, maximizing the likelihood of the conference champion landing a berth each year in the future expanded college football playoff.

Travel expense could be minimized by creating two divisions for non-football sports, with the boundary line being the Continental Divide.

I could easily be wrong about the specific additions, but I think if the Pac-12 really is gutted and the leftovers join forces with the MWC, there’s a high likelihood some additional G5 schools further east will be cherry-picked to create the first non-power superconference.  No one outside the four remaining power conferences will be making much TV money, so the quest for playoff access will become the key realignment driver for non-power conference schools.

On 8/31/2022 at 7:52 PM, jdgaucho said:

That's one helluvah... conglomerate we'd have there

LOL.  Frankenstein may be a more accurate label.  Or for some folks, clusterf*ck.

But it’s just simple math.  If the college football playoff expands to include the top 12 or top 16 ranked teams, the champion of a 20-member G5 conference is more likely to make the cut than the champion of a 16-member or 12-member G5 conference — especially if that 20-member G5 conference includes most of the top-performing G5 teams over the past decade that are still outside the power conferences.

I know some of the teams I named don’t fit that top-performing label, and a few are even perceived as bottom-feeders, but at the G5 level all it takes is getting and holding onto the right coach for a few seasons to become a contender for a conference title and national attention.  UTSA had a breakout season last year, and UTEP appears to have turned a corner.  And who would have predicted that the past two MWC champions would be San Jose State and Utah State?  With more members there’s a better statistical chance each year of one of them being that G5 standout that can break into the top 15 rankings.

On 8/31/2022 at 11:47 PM, HawaiiMongoose said:

A month ago I posted a prediction on the CSNBBS realignment board that if the Pac-12 is reduced to just Oregon State and Washington State, those two schools will join forces with the 12 MWC schools plus SMU, Rice, UTSA, UTEP, Tulsa and Memphis to form a 20-member best-of-the-rest conference.

The intent would be to stake a strong claim as the 5th best FBS conference, maximizing the likelihood of the conference champion landing a berth each year in the future expanded college football playoff.

Travel expense could be minimized by creating two divisions for non-football sports, with the boundary line being the Continental Divide.

I could easily be wrong about the specific additions, but I think if the Pac-12 really is gutted and the leftovers join forces with the MWC, there’s a high likelihood some additional G5 schools further east will be cherry-picked to create the first non-power superconference.  No one outside the four remaining power conferences will be making much TV money, so the quest for playoff access will become the key realignment driver for non-power conference schools.

I guess i don't see the benefit of doing a 20 team conference at the G5 level.  I can see the logic for the BiG and SEC because of the insane revenue and contracts being negotiated.  But at the G5 level?  Why create a 20 team conference only to break into 2 10 team division.  You are still only going to play 8-9 conference games.  To me it still comes down to rivalries and fan interest at the G5 level, because the ship has sailed in terms of realistically having any hope of keeping up with P5 teams and budgets.  Keep it regional and hold on to long term rivalries. From that standpoint,  the MWC is in good shape as it exists right now.  Getting OSU and WSU would just make it that much better.  No need to try and go after AAC or CUSA schools back east as I don't think the schools would see any bump at all in ticket sales.  

• Like 2

On 8/31/2022 at 8:45 PM, BobcatGoldthwait said:

BYU swaps with SMU, and I would say that is about good.

• Haha 1

Is there a scenario where the exiting Pac-12 teams can vote to dissolve the conference and not pay exit fees? Not sure how that would work, but if not possible then the PAC-12 name probably survives and basically becomes the MW + Wazzu & OSU. 

I’m not interested in any other schools besides SMU (full member) and Gonzaga/Wichita State (basketball only). 

On 9/1/2022 at 2:08 AM, Cougar King said:

McMurphy is never wrong when it comes to college football news. 

You shouldn’t be cheering this on. The last thing you want is Utah football in your conference.  We would whip Houston up, down and sideways every year.  Steal any good recruits you have targeted and take your women too. 

Hell, who knows, maybe the B12 saved their Houston Receipt and could return your school back to the AAC?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/31/2022 at 7:09 PM, Wyobraska said:

So does the new Big 12 news about their TV deal mean this is happening?

If big 10 says no to them again and big 12 will make you 18-25 million/year more than PAC then perhaps.  The odds are higher now than they were on July 5th, though still not the most likely outcome.  

• Haha 1

On 9/1/2022 at 10:54 AM, utenation said:

You shouldn’t be cheering this on. The last thing you want is Utah football in your conference.  We would whip Houston up, down and sideways every year.  Steal any good recruits you have targeted and take your women too. 

Hell, who knows, maybe the B12 saved their Houston Receipt and could return your school back to the AAC?

Utah hasn't been hit in the mouth properly. Easy to run through Cal, Oregon State and Arizona every year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/1/2022 at 12:29 PM, Cougar King said:

Utah hasn't been hit in the mouth properly. Easy to run through Cal, Oregon State and Arizona every year.

As compared to the Power Gauntlet Houston faces in the AAC? LMAO.

BYU is a solid program. I'll bet they run through Houston like shit through a goose most years. BYU's also a team we've beaten 9 out of the last 10 tries.