Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

12 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Edit: The only way any B12 leftovers "join" the MW is if the two conferences merge. Since the MW once seriously considered merging with CUSA when it was a much stronger conference than it is today, I guess that could somehow be in the cards.

This is the basic outcome. The TV partners help the leftovers find landing spots with financial “wheel greasing.” Call it what you will. The AAC (and ESPN) will want a say, as well. We’ll see who wins.

• Like 1

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

This subject over the years has often brought out the wacky and the downright stupid.

Add 'Oklahoma State to the Big 10' to that list.

• Like 3

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, MWC Tex said:

In addition to TV ratings.  A national audience would a min of 3.5 million viewers. BYU hardly pulls 1 million. Many schools in the AAC have more viewers than BYU.

Time Zones matter, the AAC loves to brag about their viewership numbers compared to Western school's numbers.  Thus a 8:30 pm MST kickoff is a 10:30 pm kickoff on the East Coast.  Where a 8:30 pm EST kickoff is a 5:30 pm kickoff on the West Coast.  Which kickoff is likely going to get more views?  I often watch 4 or 5 games before the game I want to watch even starts and it's like care about the teams that are playing.  On the flipside I rarely stay up and watch a Pac or Hawaii game afterword.  Yet do think those games are less valuable to the providers because the Western market schools numbers with likely be smaller.  You think the providers don't understand the later start time games will have lower numbers?  BYU last season had 6 games on ESPN, 3 on ESPN2, 1 on ESPNU (Coastal Carolina), 1 on Fox Sports 1 (Boise St), and 1 on BYUTV (it's in their TV contract).  In 2019: 2 on ABC, 3 ESPN, 2 on ESPN2, 1 on ESPNU, 2 on CBS Sports (@USF & @SDSU), 1 on ESPN+ (@Toledo), 1 on FLOSPORTS/NESN (@UMass), and 1 on BYUTV.  So just in the last 2 seasons BYU was on ABC- 2 times, ESPN- 9 times, ESPN2- 5 times, ESPNU- 2 times, ESPN+- 1 time, Fox Sports 1+ 1 times, CBS Sports- 2 times, FLOSPORTS/NESN- 1 time, and BYUTV- 2 times.  I would say the TV providers seem to like BYU just fine.

1 hour ago, bornsilverandblue said:

And if the TX Leg does block Texas from leaving and the Big 12 implodes around them from their flirtation with the SEC, that would be one of the biggest ego-caused backfires in history.

The legislative action is token only.  The Democrats fled the state re voting rights changes and the legislature is likely not going to meet for a long while.  To boot, even if the Democrats were here it is a special summer session and the agenda has been set for that already...no additions to the special summer session.  But, weird things can happen once legislative types really set their minds to it all once they actually convene with a quorum to do bidness. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

42 minutes ago, azgreg said:

Would the Big 10 take this opportunity to purge itself of Nebraska since they are no longer a member of the AAU?

No.  I think Nebraska using this as an opportunity to get away from the Big Ten is somewhat plausible.

And while I don't think the B10 would kick Nebraska out over AAU status, that doesn't mean that they are looking to take any schools without AAU membership (OK State) or very tenuous membership (KU)

I could be wrong, but I just don't see an institution as arrogant as the Big Ten (and believe me, they are University of California system arrogant) taking the sloppy leftovers of the Big 12 that the SEC left behind, especially since they view the SEC as a bunch of football obsessed mediocrities.

1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

The rumor several years ago when the B12 was considering expansion was they were inclined to look east only. Without the income from OU and UT, B12 schools will have significantly less $$ for long distance travel by their Oly teams.

Ergo, assuming OU and UT leave, the B12 leftovers can be expected to look only east to backfill. Only way I see BYU and particularly Boise being offered is if ESPN steps in with a lot of money. View it from that perspective and this could be the most important football season in Boise history.

I've also read that a few year back BYU was the only school would have got the required votes needed from the Big 12 schools and that was 1 of the reasons they did expand back then (because they didn't want to only expand by 1 team/ 2 would have got them to 12 again).  There is only so many time slots to be filled in the Eastern and Central time zones.   Does a depleted Big 12 want to compete with the SEC, Big 10, ACC, and the AAC for those time slots or look West and compete with the Pac (Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and Arizona St) and MWC for time slots?

Just now, e-zone99 said:

I've also read that a few year back BYU was the only school would have got the required votes needed from the Big 12 schools and that was 1 of the reasons they did expand back then (because they didn't want to only expand by 1 team/ 2 would have got them to 12 again).  There is only so many time slots to be filled in the Eastern and Central time zones.   Does a depleted Big 12 want to compete with the SEC, Big 10, ACC, and the AAC for those time slots or look West and compete with the Pac (Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and Arizona St) and MWC for time slots?

You need to stop adding logic to the equation.

25 minutes ago, RSF said:

This subject over the years has often brought out the wacky and the downright stupid.

Add 'Oklahoma State to the Big 10' to that list.

Or Tech to the Pac, they see themselves as dome kind of Ivy league of the West.

8 minutes ago, e-zone99 said:

It was Cincinnati and Houston as the 2 finalists back then.  However I do not think any school was technically voted upon.  The final decision was Expand or Not.  We all know how that turned up....Not.

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

12 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

You need to stop adding logic to the equation.

Sorry, I just thought of a good 4th Western school....   Wait for it...  Just for Robert, UNLV!!!   Every conference has teams that are around the bottom year after year could be a nice change for Kansas every once in awhile.  The Big 12 could maybe give UNLV the boost they need in basketball.  They would bridge the gap with SDSU and the Big 12.  BYU, Boise St, UNLV, and SDSU would put the Big 12 in 4 new media markets (with them having the only P5 school in Idaho and Nevada).  Both San Diego and Las Vegas are places I believe Big 12 teams would enjoy road trip.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, e-zone99 said:

Or Tech to the Pac, they see themselves as dome kind of Ivy league of the West.

Nope, not the same.  Academics aside, Tech is a large school in a large state, and the Big 10 also has a much higher financial bar than the P12.  Both Okie St and Tech has a much better chance of finagling a P12 spot than the B10 (0%).  Lest we forget, both of them were part of the failed P16 attempt.  Yes, being dragged along by UT and OU, but still there.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

45 minutes ago, Coog kev said:

It was Cincinnati and Houston as the 2 finalists back then.  However I do not think any school was technically voted upon.  The final decision was Expand or Not.  We all know how that turned up....Not.

I guess we will see,  Adam King claimed BYU would have got 8 out 10 votes (and West Virginia would have also voted yes if they only had to travel to Provo every 3 or 4 years.  I have know idea how good his sources are, but according to his list Houston was not even on the list.

This write up is from May 12, 2021, titled BYU to the BIG 12 Conference is Closer to Happening Then Ever! Here’s why: 

In it he claimed the vote went like this:

1 BYU: 9/10 votes and can get the other. (BYU would get WVU’s vote if they agreed WVU only had to head to Provo, UT every 3 or 4 years.)

2 BSU: 7/10 votes and can get an 8th for a invite with same agreement as BYU.

3 UCF: 5/10 votes

4 USF: 5/10 votes

5 CIN: 5/10 votes

6 UCONN: 5/10 votes

7 MEM: 4/10 votes

8 NIU: 3/10 votes

9 SDSU 2/10 votes

10 Tulane 1/10 votes

11 Navy: 0/10 votes

Another interesting thing in it was that an expansion exploratory group could come as soon as the Big 12 media days.  I'm not sure what to make of it, because it don't sound like there would be an exit to move the expansion.  But find it interesting that media days just took place and expansion talk is happening.

2 minutes ago, e-zone99 said:

I guess we will see,  Adam King claimed BYU would have got 8 out 10 votes (and West Virginia would have also voted yes if they only had to travel to Provo every 3 or 4 years.  I have know idea how good his sources are, but according to his list Houston was not even on the list.

This write up is from May 12, 2021, titled BYU to the BIG 12 Conference is Closer to Happening Then Ever! Here’s why: 

In it he claimed the vote went like this:

1 BYU: 9/10 votes and can get the other. (BYU would get WVU’s vote if they agreed WVU only had to head to Provo, UT every 3 or 4 years.)

2 BSU: 7/10 votes and can get an 8th for a invite with same agreement as BYU.

3 UCF: 5/10 votes

4 USF: 5/10 votes

5 CIN: 5/10 votes

6 UCONN: 5/10 votes

7 MEM: 4/10 votes

8 NIU: 3/10 votes

9 SDSU 2/10 votes

10 Tulane 1/10 votes

11 Navy: 0/10 votes

Another interesting thing in it was that an expansion exploratory group could come as soon as the Big 12 media days.  I'm not sure what to make of it, because it don't sound like there would be an exit to move the expansion.  But find it interesting that media days just took place and expansion talk is happening.

FWIW, I could see the Texas Big 12 schools saying that Houston is not even an option (U of Texas I see as that petty).