Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea I’m thinking along the same lines; in the other thread I said I think they may add Tech, Ok St, and K State to get the ball rolling. But I could see them holding off on K State pending what KU does; maybe they only want K State if KU is coming, otherwise they add TCU and Houston. 

My guess is The PAC takes Houston and Oklahoma State and calls it a day

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2
59 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I am thinking the SEC is gonna raid the ACC (Most of the best teams) and the B1G are gonna take the northern part of the ACC's best teams and the best PAC-12 schools. Then split off.

too extreme for round 1 of the split.  Step one is a P4 with most of Big 12 finding a chair.  Then it gets ugly for the current P6 teams and the cream rises and separates.  I doubt any G5 teams get picked up if the B12 dies here.  TCU and Baylor may be in real trouble and have a tough time finding a chair.  My take from the couch

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, 1IvyDog said:

My guess is The PAC takes Houston and Oklahoma State and calls it a day

The PAC12 is in a precarious position right now, as is every other conference not named the SEC. 

Adding anyone simply for the sake of adding schools could push USC and maybe one or two other PAC12 schools out the door. 

I cant see the PAC12 adding anyone. I think the PAC12 needs to offer up its larger players USC, UCLA, Oregon and UW a bigger piece of the conference revenue pie in order to retain them and avoid what just happened in the B12

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MWC Tex said:

How?  They are so isolated that it gives them a lot of stability.

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Article/Mike-Bohn-USC-AD-Pac-12-financial-struggles-Larry-Scott-independent-leave-conference-144248076/

well here is the USC AD saying that "nothing is off the table" as far as PAC 12 future revenue sharing or as far as switching conferences and that was from months ago.

not to mention all the tweets (yes IK twitter) talking about PAC 12 teams and the Big 10 talking specifically USC and UCLA and probably wanting two others with them

In a 12-team system, automatic bids would go to six highest-ranked conference champions, plus the six highest-ranked other teams as determined by the College Football Playoff selection committee. The other six spots would be filled by at-large teams.Jun 18, 2021

So if this is the case...This could help the MW.

If the B12 implodes..One less conference..If they poach the AAC of their top schools that really improves the chances of the MW champ in the top 6.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, wolf from 73 said:

If the Big 12 is cherry picked anything can happen but if it stays intact one of these three will happen. Most likely they go east and raid the top 8 from the AAC but they already have 3 schools in Texas. So if you eliminate the 2 AAC Texas schools west might look better. Possible they go west and raid the top 7 from the MWC along with BYU or least likely they create the Best Of the Rest. Taking the top 4 from the AAC top 3 from the MWC along with BYU. That seems crazy and would create a continental conference.

The last choice is best especially it it takes my two schools. Namely San Diego State and Cincinnati.  However I think they will go east first and then west for SDSU and Boise or BYU.

Frankly I believe the BIG may get screwed if it takes Kansas and Iowa State and it follows that oft discussed possibility.  I think they should take Clemson and Florida St. if they can get them. I also think there is an outside chance that USC and Stanford OR UCLA may go to the BIG.  Please note I said outside chance.

52 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Kansas to the B1G is imminent. Iowa State looks to be voted down. The B1G is looking at Oklahoma State and  how they can make it happen even though OSU is not AAU.

West Virginia getting a look at the ACC who would go with 15 teams under the assumption they don't need to split into divisions.

Kansas doesn’t belong in a power conference.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2
8 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

In a 12-team system, automatic bids would go to six highest-ranked conference champions, plus the six highest-ranked other teams as determined by the College Football Playoff selection committee. The other six spots would be filled by at-large teams.Jun 18, 2021

So if this is the case...This could help the MW.

If the B12 implodes..One less conference..If they poach the AAC of their top schools that really improves the chances of the MW champ in the top 6.

Whatever happens with all this, they will surely change the rules regarding playoff entrants. A crap ass MW isn't going to benefit.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1
Just now, toonkee said:

Whatever happens with all this, they will surely change the rules regarding playoff entrants. A crap ass MW isn't going to benefit.

There's the spirit..

• Haha 2

Anyone else having pictures of fleas discussing ownership of the dog? 
Speculation is fun, at the end of the day, my gosh how can you keep this going? 
I think board and site owners across the country were needing clicks, and are colluding to make it seem like something is going to happen. That seems as plausible as the scenarios y’all are spinning. 
End rant, back up work.

• Like 2

The realignment boards and where people think their teams will land are my favorite...always interesting to see the level of delusion that exists amongst our respective schools. My groupings-

We Know Who We Are & Arent Going Anywhere

Wyoming, UNR, Utah State, UNM, Fresno,SJSU- with the exception of the random missive about the San Jose media market, a group that knows their lot, and is enjoying watching others scurry for a seat at sadly depleted Big 12 table to the detriment of regional rivalries in a competitive, geographically rational conference.

We Know Who We Are & We Might Make Sense Somewhere Else If But For...

SDSU- good school, good football in a great location killed by Cal State affiliation and the PAC 12 schools with little incentive to invite then to have a seat at their natural table. Upwardly mobile optimism and bravado appropriate.

Air Force- elite academic institution best paired with the other service academies and participating at a lower tier for sports other than football. Never a perfect fit anywhere. Posters understandably restless in always looking for a better fit.  

CSU- good school with an academic profile similar to other land grants that are in the P5 (Iowa State, K State) that could benefit from a central location in the country in search of a higher profile conference. Perpetually underachieving and would need to give a reason for a moribund fan base and the Denver media market to care. Understandable optimism for better conference affiliation from the posters if they fixed some of the flaws...

Hawaii- Another good school stuck with a tough geographic situation. In an alternate universe, they've happily been a member of the PAC for decades...Measured optimism from posters that just maybe, someday, it could happen seems rational.

We're Insane. We Lack Perspective & Think We Are the Future

Boise- incredible success story that has made their posters believe that a competitive football program cancels out the obvious warts... Small school in a small State in a small media market with little academic pedigree( regional school rankings and University President plans for great things don't count)... Should there be optimism for new opportunities? Sure...tons...but the posters laughably operate with the bravado of the richest guy at the welfare office... Conference realignment poster craziness second only to...

UNLV- Sad commuter campus with historically bad football. Posters commonly conflating the strip with that depressing campus and an odd notion that being in a major metro area with pro teams moving in is going to increase interest in UNLV sports and bring the Pac 12 calling. Weak academics in a state with chronically under-funded public institutions. Could it get it's get act together , build a football following, strengthen it's academics, and rebuild it's basketball brand? Sure.. But right now, it's kind of an open admissions commuter school dumpster fire. Wildly distorted sense of place in the college sports world and bravado that I wouldn't have believed existed if not for this board. Cheers to UNLV posters for dreaming the big!

• Like 5
  • Cheers 6
  • Idiot 1
39 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Neither did Rutgers

Just now, Billings said:

Neither did Rutgers

Yes, but they were added to draw from the New York City media market.  Kansas is in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Never ever trust Texas!  Words to live by.

Oklahoma will get a higher share as well.  Like I figured, it was a power play by the two to get more money.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, azgreg said:

He wasn't my first choice. I think in developing players and in game coaching will be a step up from Johnson but he's never recruited. I'm a little worried about that. 

We have hired 6 new head coaches this last year and none of them have college head coaching experience. Some of them don't have head coaching experience at an level. 

Hale will have the assistants to deal with that.  Players will listen to him, given his MLB experience.

As for Lloyd, he learned from one of the best.  Distancing yourselves from Sean Miller's coaching tree will be good in the long term

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

25 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I agree but their basketball is a Blueblood.

They have a national audience also.