Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

1 minute ago, RebelRobert said:

My guess would be Kansas/Missouri to Big Ten and Oklahoma State to SEC.

Lol I was just about to edit that with “or Kansas/Missouri.” Which would throw a whole ‘nother wrench into this whole thing. I’ve read the Texas leg is trying to block UT-Austin from jumping to the SEC. Can’t vouch for the accuracy of that claim (supposedly competing block/allow bills being drafted).

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

4 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

We keep hearing this national fan base of BYU, but I have yet to see any evidence of it. 

Does not exist.  Nobody outside of the state of Utah has a seen a BYU game 10+ years.

I thought they dropped sports until some lonely BYU fan wandered into MWCboard lost and told me that they still compete at some level (not sure what level).

I thought BYU athletics got shut down during the Great Recession.  I was shocked to hear they still have sports.  Nowhere to be found on TV.

I haven't seen them in years.  Don't miss them either.

6 minutes ago, bornsilverandblue said:

Lol I was just about to edit that with “or Kansas/Missouri.” Which would throw a whole ‘nother wrench into this whole thing. I’ve read the Texas leg is trying to block UT-Austin from jumping to the SEC. Can’t vouch for the accuracy of that claim (supposedly competing block/allow bills being drafted).

Bunch of crybabies hoping the Governor will save them from having to play Wyoming, Utah State and SJSU.

Good luck with that

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, bornsilverandblue said:

And if the TX Leg does block Texas from leaving and the Big 12 implodes around them from their flirtation with the SEC, that would be one of the biggest ego-caused backfires in history.

• Like 1

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

8 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

No?

How about the NIU game being moved to Chicago instead of Dekalb, what do you think the reason for that was?

Are you talking about last year's game that ended up cancelled?

It was moved from 24,000 seat Huskie Stadium to the smaller 20,000 SeatGeek Stadium (a soccer venue).

NIU's stadium was too big?? :rimshot1:

6 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Bunch of crybabies hoping the Governor will save them from having to play Wyoming, Utah State and SJSU.

Good luck with that

Them, TCU, Baylor, pick your 4th. Us or AAC.

1 minute ago, FresnoFacts said:

It was moved from 24,000 seat Huskie Stadium to the smaller 20,000 SeatGeek Stadium (a soccer venue).

More LDS churches in the area, had they played Illinois it would’ve been Soldier Field.  

1 minute ago, FresnoFacts said:

In addition to TV ratings.  A national audience would a min of 3.5 million viewers. BYU hardly pulls 1 million. Many schools in the AAC have more viewers than BYU.

1 minute ago, RebelRobert said:

Houston.  They would come with those schools.

Potentially.

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

Here are my opinions'

West Virginia may have some appeal to the ACC should they choose to expand

Notre Dame will need to get off the fence. Do they fully commit to the ACC or are they part of a potential B1G expansion? What ND does I think will greatly impact the Pac.

Kansas has no value to anyone outside of the B12. None of this has anything to do with Basketball

Washington and Oregon seem like more natural fits in the B1G than USC and UCLA

OK ST, other than the aforementioned WV is the only other B12 squad with potential mobility, and that would be to an expanded Pac

If the Pac loses a couple of teams to the B1G, expect the B12 to pick up the Arizona schools

If after all is said and done, SDSU doesn't end up in the Pac or B12, whatever they look like, the new stadium scheme will have been a giant waste, saddling the athletic department with a crushing debt.

SDSU ending up in a depleted Pac, minus SC/UCLA  would be best case scenario for us

Most of this is incoherent and much of it contradictory...I'm just trying to figure out how this all shakes out. 

Sadly I agree that SDSU could be left out of both the Big 12 and Pac.  If I didn't feel the Big 12 will want to take from both the AAC and MWC to create more separation from both the AAC and the MWC.  I would say the smart move by the Big 12 is to go West,  Another problem is who would be the 4th school after BYU, Boise St, and SDSU.  If Colorado St  (likely the 4th) or New Mexico would get to a respectable level again it would be much more likely for Big 12 to feel that would be a good to great option.  Much easier TV time slots to find going West than going East and competing against the SEC, Big 10, and ACC for those TV time slots.

18 minutes ago, e-zone99 said:

If Texas and OU are know longer in the Big, 12 the Big be in a survival mode.  What things will they be trying to keep as much as possible?  TV contracts, Bowls tie-ins contracts, keep separations from the G5 conferences, and add back some big attendance revenue games (no longer having Texas & OU).  So who to add?  I'm sure they would love to add other P5 schools, but that is not going to happen.  So who would be the next best option?  Schools with good fan bases who will travel, providing home attendance to Big 12 teams and bowl games.  Schools with media worth to help with their TV contract,  Actually try to damage both the AAC and the MWC at the same time.

BYU will be likely the first school the add, national fan base (helps put stands anywhere they play), has their own TV contract, excellent athletic program that finished in the top 25 in the Sears Cup standings this year.  BYU will likely pull for adding Boise St, who's fans also travel well to bowl games and other away games.  Boise St also had enough pull to get a special media rights deal for the MWC.  Also this add would also take some shine off the MWC's power rankings.   Next they will then go after the AAC, by taking 2 of their top teams.  I kind of feel like Cincinnati gets one spot to give West Virginia a life line, the other would be Houston (if the Texas schools agree).  If not Houston it would likely be UCF, but I would not count out Memphis to keep it more compact conference,  Think about it, why would you go East Coast?  How many P5 schools are in the Eastern Time Zone vs how many are in the Mountain Time Zone.  If you are in charge of a depleted conference would you rather compete for time slots against the SEC, Big 10, ACC, and to a lesser extent the AAC you just raided or the Pac's 4 schools and the MWC?

The rumor several years ago when the B12 was considering expansion was they were inclined to look east only. Without the income from OU and UT, B12 schools will have significantly less $$ for long distance travel by their Oly teams.

Ergo, assuming OU and UT leave, the B12 leftovers can be expected to look only east to backfill. Only way I see BYU and particularly Boise being offered is if ESPN steps in with a lot of money. View it from that perspective and this could be the most important football season in Boise history.

4 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

The rumor several years ago when the B12 was considering expansion was they were inclined to look east only. Without the income from OU and UT, B12 schools will have significantly less $$ for long distance travel by their Oly teams.

Ergo, assuming OU and UT leave, the B12 leftovers can be expected to look only east to backfill. Only way I see BYU and particularly Boise being offered is if ESPN steps in with a lot of money. View it from that perspective and this could be the most important football season in Boise history.

This is true IF the Big Ten/ACC don’t also expand.

4 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

If anyone is making long term expansion decisions on this years Football season or last years basketball record, THEY ARE DOING IT WRONG.

Expansion is about the next 100 years and these decisions that are made are long term and need to be carefully considered.

We are in a changing landscape of Collegiate Athletics and you need to take a close look at who you partner with going forward because the old way of doing things is over.  The next 50 years will not resemble the last 50 years.

5 minutes ago, bornsilverandblue said:

This is true IF the Big Ten/ACC don’t also expand.

How would the B1G expanding impact what the B12 leftovers do?

Please don't tell me they'll join the Mountain West. You're smarter than that.

Edit: The only way any B12 leftovers "join" the MW is if the two conferences merge. Since the MW once seriously considered merging with CUSA when it was a much stronger conference than it is today, I guess that could somehow be in the cards.

Eyes on the wrong target. UT is the squeaky wheel, but Oklahoma is the prize for the SEC. Boomer maintains a condo in the Natty discussions year in and year out. If your primary consideration is being the best conference in CFB, OU moves the sticks, Texas doesn't. Money? SEC already has FU money. Even if Texas screws this up, I'd bet OU is gone and it still sets off the chaos bomb.

12 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

In addition to TV ratings.  A national audience would a min of 3.5 million viewers. BYU hardly pulls 1 million. Many schools in the AAC have more viewers than BYU.

Mormons like to attend games, share cheesy potatoes and pie.  

10 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Nvm

9 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

How would the B1G expanding impact what the B12 leftovers do?

Please don't tell me they'll join the Mountain West. You're smarter than that.

Apparently I’m not. I’m willing to consider the possibility based on various scenarios and the fact that both conferences are now Fox Sports properties. If the ACC and Big Ten expand using Big 12 schools, all bets are off.