Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

9 hours ago, nvspuds said:

They would if Gonzaga was actually interested..However, I was referring to football schools..

The NDSU dudes coming around here want a football only invitation..

But..the MW originally had 8 full members.  The best version had 9.

They were happy at 10..USU and SJSU were added to get back to 10 when SDSU and Boise State left. 

Taking them back got the league to 12 kinda by accident.

I think if a couple schools leave there won't be much of an urge to get back to 12.

OH NO. NDSU wants ALL SPORTS in MWC 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I'm surprised that they weren't interested in easier scheduling for football?  Is UConn looking to build a regional schedule in the NE? 

Yes. UConn plays Army/UMass virtually yearly going forward (UMass series is assumed but not announced so that UConn can fill in its schedules). We also play 4 B1G/ACC/SEC schools a year. Usually Syracuse/BC or the Carolina schools from the ACC, and the Indiana/Illinois schools (Indiana/Purdue) and Maryland from the B1G. Then we round out the schedule with other regional opponents (Temple/Buffalo). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lakesbison said:

OH NO. NDSU wants ALL SPORTS in MWC 

Okay..I don't think the MW is looking to add at this time and I am not sure they will add even if some schools leave..Sadly, it doesn't appear CUSA interested in any version of NDSU and they are desperately looking to add..

Nobody on message boards has any say but nobody believes you when you say NDSU will save any conference.

Y

nvspuds...im an ahole?. gee thanks. coming from you.  flattering.

here's the deal.  Ndsu fans want BIG 12 /MWC.  most are too proud to take anything else.

I know that these conferences have a high value of themselves.  

so I'm a realist thinking that NDSU just needs to get in FBS period to start.

and face facts, coaches & ads DONT WANT NDSU IN THEIR FOOTBALL CONFERENCES FOR OBVIOUS REASONS.  that's the truth

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, idkk said:

Are the Dakota and Montana schools missing the boat by not making more of an effort to move up?

NO question the NCAA and FBS schools do not want anymore conferences at the FBS level.

2 hours ago, idkk said:

If there is a shift at the FBS level and the other top FCS teams make the jump (as they're doing now) to not be left out. What's left for those schools? The money isn't going to be there for a depleted FCS.

I think as TV demands better matchups for their $$, there will be fewer FCS matchups for the A5.  Those are money games they will struggle to survive without.

32 minutes ago, lakesbison said:

and face facts, coaches & ads DONT WANT NDSU IN THEIR FOOTBALL CONFERENCES FOR OBVIOUS REASONS.  that's the truth

Yes, the reasons are obvious.

Its just not the reasons you think.

• Cheers 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

28 minutes ago, lakesbison said:

here's the deal.  Ndsu fans want BIG 12 /MWC.  most are too proud to take anything else.

sorry..you personally might not be an asshole but going on other boards and saying the MW won't invite you because they are afraid of NDSU and have no testicles is certainly ass-holish.

Nobody in the MW is afraid to play NDSU in football.  As far as I can determine you beat CSU but haven't played anyone else in the conference.. 

I know you don't want to hear this but NDSU doesn't add anything the MW doesn't already have.  We have 12 members and aren't adding anyone at the moment.

Hawaii pays up to 900 grand a year in travel subsidies to be football only..They are not a special case or getting a hand up.

You simply would never have the votes to be all sports..

Going on various boards saying you would be the savior of any conference isn't going to get you anywhere.

Even if a few schools leave the MW you would likely not be a consideration..It is not because of where you are in Fargo.

The MW is not snobby or afraid but they are not locked into to having a lot of members..9 works really well.. 

CUSA needs members and they are open to FCS..Even though you refer to the conference as a dumpster dive for NDSU, they don't appear to have any interest in adding you..

Also, it appears that only a small minority of your fans are interested in moving up..

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lakesbison said:

Nobody is afraid of your clown ass school 

Your arrogance and entitlement is astounding

You haven't accomplished anything at the FBS level, and you act like you're God's gift to any league that might have you. (most are too proud to take anything else besides B12, lol) You don't offer anything to the B12. Hell, shoot for the B1G if you're going unrealistic. They're more in your footprint.

Join the MAC near your recruiting base, and try to grow from there. If you show growth, potential, and your market improves, bigger leagues will take interest.

• Like 5

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, lakesbison said:

Honestly, if I knew for certain that NDSU would continue to field teams as strong as they have fielded for the past 10 years or so, I would be their biggest advocate for inclusion in the MWC. Strong teams is ultimately what makes the conference stronger. My concern is that if NDSU struggles after making the jump to FBS, what else do they bring to the table? A tiny market and a very small athletics budget. It's not worth the risk IMHO. So please don't delude yourselves into thinking that we don't want NDSU because we are afraid that you would dominate the conference. I would love it if a new member dominated the conference. It would get the conference a lot of playoff money. We don't want NDSU because we are more worried that you would be a doormat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lakesbison said:

The obvious reason is the TV partners don't think NDSU brings the same per team value as the current membership of conferences. If ESPN/CBS/FOX execs thought NDSU brought more value they would let conferences know.

As I said a few pages back, NDSU should go FBS indy. In fact they should have done that a few years ago when Liberty did, the Flames now have a conference invite even with other concerns about the university.

Instead of competing for the single FCS slot on many FBS team schedules, NDSU should play as a FBS indy. Play any FBS school, anywhere, for whatever money they offer or pay extra to get FBS teams to Fargo. Show that the Bison can both compete and draw decent TV numbers at the FBS level. The NDSU money boosters need to pull out their wallets to help do it that way.

Presidents don't look at conference invites like an "if it does not work out we can always get a divorce" decision. It is more permanent to them. They need to be shown with more than just graphs and projections that it is a good decision from the money side.

FBS teams and conferences are not keeping NDSU out. The Bison are doing that to themselves. Instead of waiting around for an invite, make the FBS indy move and show NDSU does fit in the group and does bring FBS level value.

• Like 2

James Madison Dukes will move up to FBS and become members of the Sun Belt Conference in 2023.

https://theathletic.com/news/james-madison-accepts-invitation-to-join-sun-belt-source/uhnkq6265t2r/

6 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

Be interesting to see what games get kept as OOC and what ones get cancelled.

In 2023 NMSU has the following MW schools on the schedule:

9/2 - at SDSU

9/9 - AFA

9/23 - at Hawaii

TBD - at UNM

2024:

9/21 - at WYO

10/5 - at Fresno

10/19 - Hawaii

TBD - UNM

2025:

9/13 - at AFA

TBD - at UNM

2026:

10/10 - at Hawaii

TBD - UNM

2027: 

10/2 - Hawaii

TBD - UNM

2028:

9/30 - at Hawaii

TBD - UNM

2029:

TBD - at UNM

I'm guessing the games against UNM stay.  Who knows about the rest.  Perhaps the 2023 and 2024 games stay given that they are early in the season?

5 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

Let CUSA have them to pair with Liberty

I won't be surprised if NMSU vouches for GCU.  They have been an ally of the NewMags.  They and Liberty would provide some cover for GCU.

18 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

Apparently confirmed NMSU, Liberty, SHSU and JSU to C-USA. If MTSU and WKU stay it would be a semi decent Conference:

NMSU, LT, UTEP, SHSU, Liberty, MTSU, JSU, WKU, FIU

STATES: (TX, NM, LA, TN, KY, VA, FL)

Gives them the option to add UMass or UConn as Football only but I still expect them to look at adding 1 more full member school to get to 10 to have even Divisions.

No it is not. That Conference is an FBS PoS.

There are better FCS Conferences.

FIU has had four, (4), winning seasons in 18 years of FBS play. 

The NewMags have been the last school standing when three Conferences they were members of folded or stopped sponsoring football. Why, you ask ? All the other schools moved on and no other Conference wanted them. They spent 12 seasons as a misplaced member of the MVC (FCS) and didn't have a single winning season. Their FB program was booted from the SunBelt.

UTEP ain't much better.

La Tech keeps shooting themselves in the foot with their Self Inflicted Superiority attitude towards their fellow Lose-iana Schools.

No other Conferences want Liberty.

Sam Houston and JSU are still in the FCS.

MTSU and WKU are trying to leave.

Great Conference you have there.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

16 hours ago, B_Lootz said:

It wasn’t just that they had more fans than you, but it was how little your fans traveled to a relatively short distance, or at least shorter than a lot of other bowl destinations from Logan. No, it’s two examples of an obvious trend over yearsAside from some Potato Bowl appearances, USU has never traveled well to any other bowl appearances or away games beyond Utah. Kept hearing for years how ‘great’ your fan base traveled to conference bball tourneys before coming into the league, and, to this point, they haven’t ever shown up with impressive or even decent numbers to the T&M, including the last few years your team was good and at the top of the conference standings.

There’s no debate to be had here, Stanford. USU has never traveled well and that’s a fact.

It seems USU fans would rather stay in Logan or drive up to Fort Hall in December than travel to all the that far to Tuscon.

Americans Mayor

15 hours ago, B_Lootz said:

The question is do they really care? Montana schools seem content to remain where they’re at. The Dakota schools are similar.. I think they like being the big fish in an ever decreasing pond, even with other schools passing them by the wayside.

Is moving up to FBS and averaging 4 wins per season passing them by the wayside ?

Americans Mayor

10 hours ago, Fowl said:

Be interesting to see what games get kept as OOC and what ones get cancelled.

In 2023 NMSU has the following MW schools on the schedule:

9/2 - at SDSU

9/9 - AFA

9/23 - at Hawaii

TBD - at UNM

2024:

9/21 - at WYO

10/5 - at Fresno

10/19 - Hawaii

TBD - UNM

2025:

9/13 - at AFA

TBD - at UNM

2026:

10/10 - at Hawaii

TBD - UNM

2027: 

10/2 - Hawaii

TBD - UNM

2028:

9/30 - at Hawaii

TBD - UNM

2029:

TBD - at UNM

I'm guessing the games against UNM stay.  Who knows about the rest.  Perhaps the 2023 and 2024 games stay given that they are early in the season?

Why not keep them ? As of this moment they would only play 7 C-USA games.

Americans Mayor