Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

2 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I give NDSU a lot of credit.  They are a great team at their level and what they have been able to do is remarkable,

Same here. But let them first get in on the MACtion and win big there before anybody even bothers to expend energy debating the pros and cons of adding them to the Molehill Worst.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

A win at Iowa is always big.  And that wasn't a bad Iowa team either, they finished just outside the T25 after they lost a bowl game.  The K-State game is overblown, as they just weren't that good, the previous season's success had them ranked.  And beating the Goofers a couple times during the Kill years wasn't difficult either.  But the Iowa win was a good one.

2 hours ago, Professorbum said:

I believe Iowa was ranked #13 in 2016 when NDSU beat them.   I think they finished the season #21.   Interestingly, NDSU received 70+ points in the AP top 25 poll after beating Iowa.  That put them ranked at 27th in the country among FBS.

I stand corrected on Iowa.  I remember the K State win being an ok win.  The rest weren't anything to really crow about except like I said, a P5 win is a P5 win, especially if FCS.

I think the rest of my point still stands.  Doing it week in and week out is a whole nother ball game. 

1 hour ago, Aztec1984 said:

Please, if we are going to bring Dakota, Montana, Idaho schools or anything like that, let us leave first. Nothing personal, just that we don't need more "mountain" in the MWC.

The Dakotas are not Mountain ;)

8 minutes ago, Billings said:

The Dakotas are not Mountain ;)

Well, they are certainly not west

Look, I love that part of the nation, wouldn't mind retiring there, but adding schools in ND, SD, MT or WY and ID doesn't get us more TV money and that is what all this is about.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Aztec1984 said:

Well, they are certainly not west

Look, I love that part of the nation, wouldn't mind retiring there, but adding schools in ND, SD, MT or WY and ID doesn't get us more TV money and that is what all this is about.

Oh I agree.  Going out on the plains makes no sense and there are not enough TV sets to justify anything else added in the Rockies

What is interesting is that AAC, MWC, MAC, Sun Belt and CUSA sent a letter to NCAA last year asking to relax the requirements to compete in Division I for four years and as part of that requested not allowing schools to move up during that four year period as well. 

I don't think anything came of it but it was intersting

4 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Those were one off games. Do you have the quality depth to survive an 8 game MW schedule ?

Go and look at Boise, SDSU or CSU's remaining schedule. Could you hold up against that ?

OF COURSE NDSU WOULD COMPETE TOP 3 DAY 1 of the MWC . it's a PROGRAM, a SYSTEM,   it's tradition of winning.

NDSU is a top Recruiting school who picks up virtually every kids behind Wisconsin/Iowa/Minnesota. 

Beat #13 Iowa, Big 12 champion K State & 9 out of last 12 FBS games.

I understand the hesitancy by the MWC, but NDSU gets more national recognition than 75% of MWC easily.

ps Badlands in ND are legit mountain range albeit smaller 

4012_5911_South_Dakota_Badlands_Geology_

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, lakesbison said:

OF COURSE NDSU WOULD COMPETE TOP 3 DAY 1 of the MWC . it's a PROGRAM, a SYSTEM,   it's tradition of winning.

NDSU is a top Recruiting school who picks up virtually every kids behind Wisconsin/Iowa/Minnesota. 

I understand the hesitancy by the MWC, but NDSU gets more national recognition than 75% of MWC easily.

0/10...lol

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, lakesbison said:

Now this is funny. ND would basically be version of Wyoming, that needed time to develop. 

10 hours ago, Aztec1984 said:

Please, if we are going to bring Dakota, Montana, Idaho schools or anything like that, let us leave first. Nothing personal, just that we don't need more "mountain" in the MWC.

Right on.

3 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

According to the Athletic, C-USA in negotiations to add New Mexico St. & Liberty in all sports, and UConn in football only.

Saw a new report that UConn talking to CUSA was an unsolicited phone call from CUSA and a not interested from UConn. Really gotta reign in those robocallers.

3 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

According to the Athletic, C-USA in negotiations to add New Mexico St. & Liberty in all sports, and UConn in football only.

No brainer for CUSA and NMSU for the NMSU add. NMSU is a travel partner for UTEP and also gets NMSU into a conference. I know the WAC might be an fbs conference at some point BUT that is still hypothetical at this point. Better to take the sure thing.

For Liberty I get this is not their ultimate goal but it still gets them into a conference and they can always jump ship to another conference (if invited) later. Maybe they try to negotiate a smaller (or no) buy out fee if the Sun Belt or AAC invite them in the future? 

UCONN obviously would be football only. I guess the CUSA can afford 1 football only school and UCONN makes more sense than UMASS. 

Army probably said no. UMASS is probably being told all sports or nothing (as CUSA prefers UCONN for football only). So what they have to invite a couple of fcs schools up to assure they survive? That is unless the MAC decides to grab two schools then things get worse.

7 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

Yeah, but where would you go?

I mean if NDSU or SDSU or Montana or anyone is serious about moving up now is the time. They can spend a few years in the CUSA and then (after they have established themselves as fbs) try to get in the MW once the MW likely loses BSU+ maybe 1-2 other schools to the water down Big-12 (which will basically just be a best of the rest conference after they lose more schools to the Big-4). 

Seems like a safer bet for them to join the CUSA than to try to move up as a indy. And no I don't think the MW will add a team straight from fcs anytime soon.