Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

18 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

CUSA needs to be put out of its misery.

WKU and MTSU should join the MAC

Marshall, So. Miss, ODU, and LT to the SBC

UTEP to MWC (yes I said it)

FIU drops football to FCS or goes indy

14 is the new normal and can actually provide additional regional rivalries to existing conferences. I think the G5 needs to learn from the AAC and SBC recent examples. Time to let NMSU and UTEP into the MW to get to 14.

UTEP should move all sports but football to the WAC.  Indy in football.  The MW should try to help schedule them in football and basketball where possible

3 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

UTEP should move all sports but football to the WAC.  Indy in football.  The MW should try to help schedule them in football and basketball where possible

I can see this as one possibility, especially if CUSA loses 2 more schools in addition to the 8 so far.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I can see that. I know that UTEP is struggling with attendance and fan interest. But I have to wonder if that changes if they have a rival in NMSU who would be 40 miles up the road, plus another regional rival in UNM. at 14, like pretty much all the other conferences now, we can afford to lose 2 and not need to add anyone. Also, think if you can grow in a way that is natural within your region, this is the time. JMO.

Maintaining the monetary advantage over the rest of the g5 with the extra exposure will give a chance for the cream to rise to the top of the aac in the next few years.  I couldn’t believe all the additions but I guess they were being advised by the overlords what to do and maybe cornering the texas/central time zone markets is a play for the next deal.  

• Haha 4

Whatever Hair's shortcomings might be, I think he's clearly ended the Hair v Pee6 debate. Aresco started to believe his own bullshit, thought he was something more than a useful stooge in the espn-sec plan to gut the B12, had the B12 turn around and nuke his conference from orbit and then had his desired mwc schools all give him the finger. He got worked like a plastic +++++ doll at an incel convention. 

16 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Maintaining the monetary advantage over the rest of the g5 with the extra exposure will give a chance for the cream to rise to the top of the aac in the next few years.  I couldn’t believe all the additions but I guess they were being advised by the overlords what to do and maybe cornering the texas/central time zone markets is a play for the next deal.  

While not a bad theory, the problem is the "top" of the AAC that the cream could theoretically rise to is much, much lower. If Memphis leaves, you're hoping that the new members rise to the level of Tulsa? ECU? Temple?

BTW, that theory in practice only worked in the real world for the programs that are leaving the conference! 

Also, where's all the outcry from AAC fans regarding the Sweetheart Deal that the "founding members" of the conference are receiving? I thought inequitable, uneven revenue distribution among conference members was a recipe for chaos and conference demolition?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RebelAlliance said:

Whatever Hair's shortcomings might be, I think he's clearly ended the Hair v Pee6 debate. Aresco started to believe his own bullshit, thought he was something more than a useful stooge in the espn-sec plan to gut the B12, had the B12 turn around and nuke his conference from orbit and then had his desired mwc schools all give him the finger. He got worked like a plastic +++++ doll at an incel convention. 

Every attempted move by Aresco has been about new ESPN content first, not necessarily improving the AAC.

Most of the AAC talk in recent months has always been about adding teams currently not in an ESPN-only media deal. No talk about teams like Coastal Carolina which currently are only on ESPN properties.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RebelAlliance said:

I'd like to believe that, but all it takes is one of these new additions (or, hell, even one of the leftovers) turning into the next UCF and we'll be left behind in the dust all over again. Judging from the past decade or so, I fully expect this to happen.

0mK6pGK.png

1 hour ago, BacksThePack said:

Any word out of Wichita on their feelings lately? That's an easy add.

They’re happy.  They get paid as much for basketball in the aac as full MWC members get.  Maybe next round of realignment near  the turn of the decade will involve them, but I suspect they’ll look east not west to be honest.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SparkysDad said:

While not a bad theory, the problem is the "top" of the AAC that the cream could theoretically rise to is much, much lower. If Memphis leaves, you're hoping that the new members rise to the level of Tulsa? ECU? Temple?

BTW, that theory in practice only worked in the real world for the programs that are leaving the conference! 

Also, where's all the outcry from AAC fans regarding the Sweetheart Deal that the "founding members" of the conference are receiving? I thought inequitable, uneven revenue distribution among conference members was a recipe for chaos and conference demolition?

It’s not theory, it’s reality.  No more g5 teams are moving up for a long time.  Memphis is going to have to make do.  Good thing for them Is the contract is intact and all advantages they’ve had will continue.  Same with SMU, ECU, usf.  SMU has shown what’s possible with espn backing and extra money.  It’s a sad state if you’re on the outside but the status quo has been solidified at the g5 level.  I feel bad for UTEP and LATech honestly.  The time is now for the MWC to step up and perform.  The best g5 label isn’t won just because another conference restructured, let’s make things happen.  

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

They’re happy.  They get paid as much for basketball in the aac as full MWC members get.  Maybe next round of realignment near  the turn of the decade will involve them, but I suspect they’ll look east not west to be honest.

I could see them trying to get into the Big East at the conclusion of the 2024-2025 season.  Probably sooner so the Big East can get their extension hammered out.  They'd make more money, be in a premier league, and reunite with Creighton.  The question is will the Big East look that far West.

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

It’s not theory, it’s reality.  No more g5 teams are moving up for a long time.  Memphis is going to have to make do.  Good thing for them Is the contract is intact and all advantages they’ve had will continue.  Same with SMU, ECU, usf.  SMU has shown what’s possible with espn backing and extra money.  It’s a sad state if you’re on the outside but the status quo has been solidified at the g5 level.  I feel bad for UTEP and LATech honestly.  The time is now for the MWC to step up and perform.  The best g5 label isn’t won just because another conference restructured, let’s make things happen.  

SMU has nothing to do with ESPN or extra money because they have always had both.  They finally hit on a decent coach...and they aint exactly paying him a king's ransom.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

You are an idiot.  They get a 30% share of media revenue.  And the AAC is stuck in their deal until 2031.  Over the course of their deal a good chance they make less than the MWC, even before they lost their 3 best programs.

The college football world is laughing their ass off at the AAC.

Oh well, good for UCF.  They get to be a bottom feeder in the Big 12 year in year out.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I could see them trying to get into the Big East at the conclusion of the 2024-2025 season.  Probably sooner so the Big East can get their extension hammered out.  They'd make more money, be in a premier league, and reunite with Creighton.  The question is will the Big East look that far West.

They already have Creighton, so it’s possible! 

59 minutes ago, RSF said:

SMU has nothing to do with ESPN or extra money because they have always had both.  They finally hit on a decent coach...and they aint exactly paying him a king's ransom.

The AAC is hot garbage now and embarrassed themselves during this whole process.  Getting rebuked by lowly CSU was a blow to conference reputation.

I'm glad UCF is leaving, even if it only means winning 3 conference games a year in the Big 12.

• Haha 2