Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

There are many of us still holding out for this kind of scenario.   And I think you'd be right.

Hoping the statement from Thompson that was published about standing pat is a smokescreen & show of strength (y'all would still be the best G5 without making any moves, so it's not a lie), and maybe negotiations are continuing under the radar. 

I think the AAC leaking this out there would force the MWC's hand to either make the offers or not...  UNT/UTSA/Rice have to think, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.  We can't afford to wait around for the MWC and let the AAC move on without us.

If the MWC offer doesn't come (not sounding good), we'll take the AAC move-up as a nice consolation prize.   It's way better than staying in C-USA.   Poor LATech, they've done everything right, they're just stuck in the middle of nowhere.

But for geography with the Olys, I would love to see LaTech FB in the MW.

• Confused 1

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

3 hours ago, JPCWBYS said:

"Before the AAC news broke, sources told the Action Network that officials at North Texas, Rice, UTSA and UTEP had contacted the Mountain West about joining the conference. North Texas and Rice had the most serious discussions, but ultimately, the Mountain West decided to remain at 12 schools, sources said."

Brett McMurphy article implies the MW decided to stay at 12 before these schools decided on AAC.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/aac-to-add-six-schools-conference-usa-college-football-realignment-charlotte-fau-north-texas-rice-uab-utsa

HA !

The C-USA sure has some chutzpah.

From the article:

“We will be much better without those six schools,” a C-USA source said. “The AAC will see their College Football Playoff rankings drop in the Group of Five. We have a chance to leapfrog them. This is a good day for C-USA.”

Animated GIF

• Haha 2

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

SMU, because of their wealth, academics and location have multiple  potential options. I don't see them in the league by the time all of this settles down.

Option 1A: I should think that if the Pac is going to expand, there are few schools in the vicinity that are an institutional match for the conference. SMU would be very high, if not at the top of that list

Option 1B: If the B12 expands, their old SWC mates would be high on that list

Option C:  Seek an invite to the MWC to at the very least, escape the dregs of the AAC.

Here's my self-serving  delusional prediction for 2024/25: 

SMU and SDSU to the Pac

Boise/Memphis to the B12

Leonardo Dicaprio Lol GIF

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, BoiseStateOfMind said:

Again, their AD was on the expansion committee that signed off on all these moves. They're not going to "flee the dregs of the AAC" when they just invited those dregs to the AAC.

I'm not sure the Big 12 comes calling for SMU. Right now, it seems like they're just waiting out Texas and OU so they can add two more schools (possibly us and Memphis) and be done with it. And would all the Texas schools already in the conference really want to add yet another in-state competitor to recruit against? Even Houston was going to be left out until Fertitta opened his wallet. I can't see TCU being in favor of adding SMU.

I would be shocked if they ever got a PAC invite. I have a hard time imagining that the snobs at Stanford and Cal would ever want to share a conference with SMU.

It's UCLA and USC who are opposed.

UCLA is the only School in the UC system that does not have Doctorates arrangements with SDSU. I wonder why ?

:shrug:

Americans Mayor

22 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Wrong.

The AAC cock-blocked the MW out of Texas, sans UTEP which really isn't Texas in terms of FB viewership or recruiting, and who cares Texas State.

They added garbage that wouldn't help us a bit.  If they truly did that to block the MW, Thompson and the school presidents are probably still laughing.  

We are the best G5 without doing a thing.  We don't need anymore bottom feeders, no matter what state or city they come from.

• Like 6

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

24 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Well that is why I said there were a lot of IF's in there LOL

It was more wtf because of all the moving parts. It was confusing and humorous. 

It reminded me of 20th century German military planning.

Americans Mayor

18 minutes ago, SanDiegoPoke said:

I had the MTN in OC and loved it.

Lucky you.

Americans Mayor

47 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

The most likely option, IMO, is the PAC stays at 12 and so does the B12. 

If that is true, the AAC just added a bunch of garbage for no apparent reason. 

If Aresco pushed for those TX schools to shut out the MW, then he just got punked by the MW.

I don't think 12 is sustainable with the B10 at 14, the ACC at 15, SEC at 16 and B12 most likely at 14 when it's all over.  The Pac will be forced to add.  Those add will need to be somewhat regional and somewhat culturally/academically aligned. SMU will be in play for both the B12 and Pac IMO.

But who knows....

• Facepalm 1

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

SMU is counting on that Big 12 invite which I don't see coming. Never heard SMU in the same discussion as Pac-12 for expansion, so I think they might be pretty much stuck. With AAC taking those teams, which I think they made a panic move instead of a sound move, it really has possibly put a stop to expansion unless Sun Belt or MAC decide to move on something.

2 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

I don't think 12 is sustainable with the B10 at 14, the ACC at 15, SEC at 16 and B12 most likely at 14 when it's all over.  The Pac will be forced to add.  Those add will need to be somewhat regional and somewhat culturally/academically aligned. SMU will be in play for both the B12 and Pac IMO.

But who knows....

Sounds more and more that B12 isn't going to expand for some time unless they are raiding by someone. ACC is fine where they are at, SEC is happy, so that leaves B10 and P12. If B10 picks schools off it will be from B12 I think, which will then maybe take Memphis and Boise. MAYBE.  Pretty much we could see the P5 where they are at now stay that way

12 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

It's UCLA and USC who are opposed.

UCLA is the only School in the UC system that does not have Doctorates arrangements with SDSU. I wonder why ?

:shrug:

I was talking about SMU, but you make a good point about SDSU as well. Either way, the PAC will probably never do anything to improve themselves unless the California schools get over themselves.

0mK6pGK.png

7 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

It was more wtf because of all the moving parts. It was confusing and humorous. 

It reminded me of 20th century German military planning.

If I was Sun Belt, maybe kick the tires right now about possibly expanding just to gauge reaction. Doesn't really hurt

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Sounds more and more that B12 isn't going to expand for some time unless they are raiding by someone. ACC is fine where they are at, SEC is happy, so that leaves B10 and P12. If B10 picks schools off it will be from B12 I think, which will then maybe take Memphis and Boise. MAYBE.  Pretty much we could see the P5 where they are at now stay that way

That's how I see it too.  The BIG, PAC & ACC all looked at the B12 leftovers and took calls from their AD's.  No one wanted any of the leftovers.  They aren't going to be anymore attractive in 2023-2025. 

Unless the Sun Belt grabs some CUSA teams and/or CUSA back fills, this round of expansion is over and we may not see another round for 10 years or more. 

Too bad.  Expansion threads are fun. 

The next round of speculation will be over which coaches will be fired or promoted and who will be replacing them.  Those threads are entertaining as well.

Barack Obama

14 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

But who knows....

Why isn't 12 sustainable? 

The Baylor AD, who is the head of the B12 expansion committee said 14 isn't really workable and seemed to suggest they will stay at 12, just like the PAC.  

They won't likely go to 16 unless their media partners ask them to.  That's probably unlikely as there aren't 4 (or any) G5 schools that help them and they aren't poaching any P5 schools.

IMO, it's kind of up to the PAC.  If they don't make a move the B12 won't either.

• Cheers 1

Barack Obama

2 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

That's how I see it too.  The BIG, PAC & ACC all looked at the B12 leftovers and took calls from their AD's.  No one wanted any of the leftovers.  They aren't going to be anymore attractive in 2023-2025. 

Unless the Sun Belt grabs some CUSA teams and/or CUSA back fills, this round of expansion is over and we may not see another round for 10 years or more. 

Too bad.  Expansion threads are fun. 

The next round of speculation will be over which coaches will be fired or promoted and who will be replacing them.  Those threads are entertaining as well.

There are other conferences that are moving around and such, Atlantic sun is expanding, MVC is expanding, Southland is losing schools, WAC might have eyes on becoming FCS conference for football, maybe there is other expansion discussions as well we don't know about which could trickle in. But then another thought, maybe AAC took those schools thinking they are going to lose more so they are backfilling now? I have no clue but AAC by taking those teams, like I said before, pretty much shuts off AFA, CSU, SDSU and Boise St from moving unless they go independent or B12 if you are Boise

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Why isn't 12 sustainable? 

The Baylor AD, who is the head of the B12 expansion committee said 14 isn't really workable and seemed to suggest they will stay at 12, just like the PAC.  

They won't likely go to 16 unless their media partners ask them to.  That's probably unlikely as there aren't 4 (or any) G5 schools that help them and they aren't poaching any P5 schools.

IMO, it's kind of up to the PAC.  If they don't make a move the B12 won't either.

I think that is what killed C-USA is having such a big conference and laid out as they had a lot of schools with different issues going on.  But then again when the playoff expansion gets hammered out, that could possibly add new eyes to things. I mean I read an article about speculation on the playoff format, which don't know is true but that is why they call it a rumor, that the winners of all the conferences will be in it as it will be a 12 team playoff

• Like 1