Jump to content
Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I think we have a diverse membership and there is division...I believe that there are unhappy schools in this conference..

I agree. SDSU  and BSU think they are worthy of a bigger conference invite but apparently they are not as desirable as they think.   CSU thinks they are too but for absolutely no reason.  CU's lack of success in the P12 but success against CSU doesn't help them as well IMO.  The Flyboys have a head coach who apparently only looks at football and ignores BB and the Olympic sports.  

On top of everything,  BSU's sweetheart deal isn't really palatable anymore to the rest of the conference. 

But the reality is that unless a true P4/P5 conference comes calling, nobody is going anywhere - at least as things stand now - as the MWC is clearly the best non P4/P5 conference.   

Finally,  if the B12 is raided again,  and depending on who leaves,  the B12 for all intents and purposes may well drop below the MWC in importance (assuming a new super conference doesn't form and kill off the present system).  If that happens, the unhappy four may be stuck with the MWC regardless of their aspirations. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I think we have a diverse membership and there is division...I believe that there are unhappy schools in this conference..

There has been much division and some teams explored their options. That has been put to rest unless the P5 comes calling. We are about to be the top G5 with probably the best contract. Better than 50% chance of making the playoffs regularly. The only thing that our conference can do now to address the concerns of some of the schools is to work on, divisions, start times, foot print in Texas for recruiting and expanded exposer. The most important thing is to win the access to the playoffs which could address most of the discontent that has been expressed in the past.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Id like to see more commitment to their sports.  It just doesn't seem to be there.  

I read on the CUSA board that Rice was having emergency talks with their booster. 2 Rice fans on the board confirmed it but were not sure why but speculated that it was in response to AAC or MW inquiries. 

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nvspuds said:

I don't know of course but it may have come down to whether the AAC would have paid their exit fees to the MW..

CSU said they were not that close to going after looking at the details.  Air Force on the other hand wants central time zone exposure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nvspuds said:

TV would seem to be the key..

Agreed.  It’s probably too much to hope for but it would be a game-changer if CBS and Fox were willing to put enough money on the table to lure SMU out of the AAC.  The news of a 6-0 SMU and a 6-0 UTSA both agreeing to jump to the MWC would turn a lot of heads in the college football world.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2021 at 7:08 PM, wolfpack1 said:

And if you want him to answer your question during his streams you need to donate to his channel. 

Isn't that called a camgirl?

  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nvspuds said:

Now we have done it..We have Texas schools coming to the MW board to bad mouth each other..At least the dudes from NDSU just rip on MW schools..

Good on them, I say. Saves us sane MW posters the trouble of having to point out those schools' many flaws to the idiots here who so often drool on their keyboards over the prospect of adding them to the conference.

Link to post
Share on other sites

SMU isn't leaving the AAC so I feel they shouldn't even be in the discussion but agree it would be awesome to have them. 

Best bets with whats left is imo:

1-UNT

2-UTSA

3-Texas State

Appreciate the feedback from the UNT and UTSA posters as it did give us some good info. I don't think being a party school however should be a reason to cancel them from the equation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A Friday night college game in Texas with Friday Night (HS) Lights all around?  Who was the brainchild behind that idea? 
Actually, I was down in Dallas on a sales trip 3 years ago with some time on my hands so I drove the 30 minute drive up to Denton (& UNT) to watch this game.  The greenies stadium was packed.  
I had a cousin (who lived in Arlington) who joined me in Denton.  He was an SMU alum.  He bragged how his Mustangs were going to kick North Texas butt.  Well, not this night. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Good on them, I say. Saves us sane MW posters the trouble of having to point out those schools' many flaws to the idiots here who so often drool on their keyboards over the prospect of adding them to the conference.

I was just going to say that all the bickering between those fanbases just reinforces my opinion that none of those schools are particularly appealing. Even SMU doesn't move the needle that much for me, though they might as well be Alabama compared to the others (and of course they're not paying the sky-high exit fee to come here).

This is where it kind of sucks not to have more FBS schools on the west coast. We don't have any western equivalents of UAB, Coastal, App State, etc. who are obviously ready for a step up. This would be so much easier if there was a west-coast analogue to the Sun Belt and CUSA.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SpaceForced said:

It really was more of a knee jerk reaction thinking Boise and SDSU was invited and considering .  As soon as Boise and SDSU announced they were staying csu and af backed away.  I don’t see that we were sniffing around.  All in all I didn’t like any of it.

Out of curiosity, why does AF need to move conferences. It’s a national draw whatever conference they are in but have limited upside for obvious reasons. They aren’t going to be any more competitive in the non revenue sports and frankly, they don’t need the TV  money. They can schedule the service academies already. What am I missing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

SMU isn't leaving the AAC so I feel they shouldn't even be in the discussion but agree it would be awesome to have them. 

Best bets with whats left is imo:

1-UNT

2-UTSA

3-Texas State

Appreciate the feedback from the UNT and UTSA posters as it did give us some good info. I don't think being a party school however should be a reason to cancel them from the equation.

Texas State ?

We might as well invite Southern Utah or Tarelton State.

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Facepalm 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

Maybe the WAC will have moved up by the next realignment, though ideally it's the Big Sky teams who are interesting.

There really is no need for the WAC to move up.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Id like to see more commitment to their sports.  It just doesn't seem to be there.  

I googled to find out what they spend on athletics since it wasn't on the USA Today list and not sure how accurate this website is but apparently it's more than UTSA and on par with UNT:

 

Rice: https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/rice-university/student-life/sports/ $41.9 M

UNT: https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-north-texas/student-life/sports/ $40.8 M

UTSA: https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/the-university-of-texas-at-san-antonio/student-life/sports/  $31.2 M

 

UTSA would be at the very bottom of the MWC (same with UTEP). UNT and Rice would be between Wyoming and Utah St.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aztecsrule72001 said:

I googled to find out what they spend on athletics since it wasn't on the USA Today list and not sure how accurate this website is but apparently it's more than UTSA and on par with UNT:

 

Rice: https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/rice-university/student-life/sports/ $41.9 M

UNT: https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-north-texas/student-life/sports/ $40.8 M

UTSA: https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/the-university-of-texas-at-san-antonio/student-life/sports/  $31.2 M

 

UTSA would be at the very bottom of the MWC (same with UTEP). UNT and Rice would be between Wyoming and Utah St.

They are getting a terrible return on their sports besides baseball

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

Maybe the WAC will have moved up by the next realignment, though ideally it's the Big Sky teams who are interesting.

A most of those WAC schools are a long ways from being IA-ready.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

Out of curiosity, why does AF need to move conferences. It’s a national draw whatever conference they are in but have limited upside for obvious reasons. They aren’t going to be any more competitive in the non revenue sports and frankly, they don’t need the TV  money. They can schedule the service academies already. What am I missing?

They don't have to move.  They just want to have the broadest exposure for recruitment.  This year and next year Army & Air Force are playing in Arlington, TX.  It's actually a pretty cool set up where they will play the first football game to ever be played on the Globe Life baseball stadium.  It's going to be on National TV CBS.

   

Link to post
Share on other sites

LA is a pipeline state. Invite RAgin Cajuns and Rice or SMU which ever says yes.

Maybe you even go big and invite Ragin Cajuns, Tulane and Rice and SMU both. 

Solid Central timezone presence and some good tv markets.

West

Boise, SDSU, UNLV, SJSU, Fresno, UNR, USU, Hawaii

Mountain

Wyo, AFA, CSU, UNM, Cajuns, Tulane, Rice, SMU

  • Facepalm 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...