Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

Really that link is also nothing new being discussed either. It just sounds as the same old same old. Almost like everyone is doing the dance and waiting for the first person to stop

And I command the USTA and UNT fans for pushing but again yes they want to get into Texas but ehh don't really have a team there to draw your attention. Maybe basketball schools the way to go?

4 minutes ago, aztecsrule72001 said:

IMO if I had to rank most compelling Texas teams (excluding those in the P5 obviously): 1. SMU 2. UNT 3. Rice 4. UTSA 5. Texas St. 6. UTEP

So unless SMU is looking to jump ship I think the 2 best additions would be UNT and Rice (probably in the minority on that one)

Why Rice?  

Just now, Wyobraska said:

Why Rice?  

Their marching band.  The MOB is greatness...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 minutes ago, aztecsrule72001 said:

because if we're going to take a risk on a school's potential I'd rather take that shot with Rice. Great Academics, Houston market/recruiting, massive endowment. I just like the potential there more than UTSA.

SMU checks all those boxes and has a much better product on the field 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nvspuds said:

I have no problem with firing Thompson..I am not sure he is the all powerful dictator you believe him to be..However, maybe a new person would have some new ideas..

I see the biggest problem as the dearth of schools in the Pst and Mst zones available..I also think the there has been a lot of turnover in the presidents..

My solution is to encourage the schools who are unhappy to leave and build back with schools who want to be here..

Like the WAC 10 before it, the current MWC just doesn't work all that well..

I don’t share your fatalism. I do believe next moves made will have a big impact.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

19 minutes ago, bornsilverandblue said:

I don’t share your fatalism. I do believe next moves made will have a big impact.

I am not fatalistic in the sense that I think the MW will survive, I think it will in some form..

I am not sure that adding schools solves the problem of MW schools wishing to leave..

4 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I am not fatalistic in the sense that I think the MW will survive, I think it will in some form..

I am not sure that adding schools solves the problem of MW schools wishing to leave..

You're never going to keep schools from moving to the P5.  It will never happen.  Aside from that, they have shown they aren't going anywhere.  

Adding schools now could potentially give them time to build up to a MW level team in time.  If UNT and say UTSA move to the MW and it goes to 14, it could give them time to build facilities and improve their budgets (although UNTs might be MW level, I'm not sure).  Then if SDSU and Boise leave in 8 years or whenever, then you are back to 12 and hopefully by then those new teams are strong members.  

There is an argument for that scenario.  There is an argument against it too, but your argument seems kind of vague.  Can you expand on it?

1 minute ago, Wyobraska said:

You're never going to keep schools from moving to the P5.  It will never happen.  Aside from that, they have shown they aren't going anywhere.  

Adding schools now could potentially give them time to build up to a MW level team in time.  If UNT and say UTSA move to the MW and it goes to 14, it could give them time to build facilities and improve their budgets (although UNTs might be MW level, I'm not sure).  Then if SDSU and Boise leave in 8 years or whenever, then you are back to 12 and hopefully by then those new teams are strong members.  

There is an argument for that scenario.  There is an argument against it too, but your argument seems kind of vague.  Can you expand on it?

I like the idea of a smaller conference of 9 schools..10 if you want to add a olympic only to balance out Hawaii.

The MW had success with just 8.  small isn't always bad

However, the idea now seems to be moving towards  big conferences of more than 12..That may be what happens..

Will CBS/Fox up the payouts to cover the new adds..That would seem to be the key question that would need to be answered before any expansion..

If the pie gets cut two more ways, will that lead to greater unity?

I am not against expansion per se but I am not sure the MW can make it work..

Of course, the conference may decide to add now just as a hedge because they believe schools will be leaving soon..

18 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Every single school in any G5 conference wants a p5 invite and to leave their conference.  Not just a MWC problem

2 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I like the idea of a smaller conference of 9 schools..10 if you want to add a olympic only to balance out Hawaii.

The MW had success with just 8.  small isn't always bad

However, the idea now seems to be moving towards  big conferences of more than 12..That may be what happens..

Will CBS/Fox up the payouts to cover the new adds..That would seem to be the key question that would need to be answered before any expansion..

If the pie gets cut two more ways, will that lead to greater unity?

I am not against expansion per se but I am not sure the MW can make it work..

Of course, the conference may decide to add now just as a hedge because they believe schools will be leaving soon..

I can tell you if you shrink to 8 the TV deal will be cut

8 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

CSU and AFA were sniffing around the AAC..Not a P5 last I looked..

True but it was no dice when they did their homework, as the AAC is not any better.  No point going anywhere right now unless it is a P5 for MWC or AAC schools.  There are no other options for anyone in the MWC or AAC right now.

• Like 2

Just now, Billings said:

True but it was no dice when they did their homework, as the AAC is not any better.  No point going anywhere right now unless it is a P5 for MWC or AAC schools.  There are no other options for anyone in the MWC or AAC right now.

I don't know of course but it may have come down to whether the AAC would have paid their exit fees to the MW..