Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

6 minutes ago, Gakusei said:

I'd agree that UTSA isn't ready for a full membership. That said, they're not going to leave CUSA and throw the rest of their MBB/WBB and Olympic sports down the blackhole that is the Southland. Either they get offered full membership, or they don't come at all. Currently they're straddling phase 2/3 of their 4 phase master plan. If they continue following that plan, they still need to build new baseball and softball stadiums before they even start thinking about a new arena and on campus football stadium. These are things that could be 10-20 years away, or even more.

The CSU AD interview made it seem like they're looking at UTSA, when he mentioned Texas schools that are investing in athletics. If the conference does expand with two CUSA Texas schools, though, it would almost have to be UNT and Rice. That or they take UTSA and work with their media partners to ensure no UTSA home basketball games are shown. If UTSA does hit a hot streak, maybe they can work something out to play those games at the AT&T Center.

It could be that MWC is waiting to see what happens with BSU.  If B12 takes, then maybe only UNT is invited..?

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

33 minutes ago, BSUFiend said:

It could be that MWC is waiting to see what happens with BSU.  If B12 takes, then maybe only UNT is invited..?

I hope we wait until at least the time that OUT & the AAC schools announce when they will be leaving and reevaluate then.  In the meantime identify who are the best available candidates for FB or all sports.  

We don't need to add anyone right now.  We may not need to in '25 either.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, wolfan said:

Then why the push for the Big East?

10 years ago the program was in a much darker place have only one winning season in the previous 12 seasons....things have changed a lot since then. And also there wasn't a school at the time that wouldn't have jumped at the chance to be in an AQ conference. 

Just now, sactowndog said:

Curious how the measure football rank as Fresno has as many conference titles as SDSU yet is ranked below AF.  

Guessing average ratings over a specified period. AFA gets overrated a lot too, proven by their lack of conference titles. 

2 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Guessing average ratings over a specified period. AFA gets overrated a lot too, proven by their lack of conference titles. 

Yeah and Fresno has been more extreme than most schools for a variety of reasons….   So it’s ranking is very variable on how you choose to rank.  

we are like the little girl who would eat her porridge.  When we are good we are very very good and when we are bad we are horrid. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Since their name has been mentioned a few times, what do people think of UC-Davis as an expansion candidate? I know that they are not as sexy as a name like Memphis or SMU, but I think their long-term upside is much higher. It's an AAU school with a massive endowment and huge alumni base. They are located in a very large market with basically no other college or professional sports. They have a long history of successful athletics. (They were the most dominant D2 school in the country by a huge margin before making the jump to D1, and at one point their football team went over 30 years without a losing season. The last I looked their football team is now ranked #6 in FCS.) And they are a nice geographic fit for the MWC. Probably at least half the schools in the conference would be within driving distance.

I would only want to add them if they gave a very strong commitment to increase their athletics budget and expand their stadium. But their potential is enormous. If the MWC is going to expand, I would much rather expand based on long-term potential than just grab a school that has had a few good seasons recently. I remember being laughed off this board 10-15 years ago when I suggested that the MWC add Houston. And I think UC-Davis has even more potential than Houston if they are serious about investing in their athletics department.

1 minute ago, StanfordAggie said:

Since their name has been mentioned a few times, what do people think of UC-Davis as an expansion candidate? I know that they are not as sexy as a name like Memphis or SMU, but I think their long-term upside is much higher. It's an AAU school with a massive endowment and huge alumni base. They are located in a very large market with basically no other college or professional sports. They have a long history of successful athletics. (They were the most dominant D2 school in the country by a huge margin before making the jump to D1, and at one point their football team went over 30 years without a losing season. The last I looked their football team is now ranked #6 in FCS.) And they are a nice geographic fit for the MWC. Probably at least half the schools in the conference would be within driving distance.

I would only want to add them if they gave a very strong commitment to increase their athletics budget and expand their stadium. But their potential is enormous. If the MWC is going to expand, I would much rather expand based on long-term potential than just grab a school that has had a few good seasons recently. I remember being laughed off this board 10-15 years ago when I suggested that the MWC add Houston. And I think UC-Davis has even more potential than Houston if they are serious about investing in their athletics department.

Only if they make an iron clad long term commitment to partner with Fresno on a number of Ag and Engineering related doctoral programs.   Otherwise they can stay in the Big West forever.  

SDSU would be a great option for the Big 12 if they want to expand west.  If they want to have a coast to coast national conference that encompasses all time zones and have more content and more eyes for the west coast and late night games then SDSU makes perfect sense.  It would also mean getting into California for recruiting and challenging the PAC12.  If that is the Big12 goal then SDSU is in good shape.  If not, then SDSU is forever going to be a mid-player in college sports.

17 minutes ago, namssa said:

SDSU would be a great option for the Big 12 if they want to expand west.  If they want to have a coast to coast national conference that encompasses all time zones and have more content and more eyes for the west coast and late night games then SDSU makes perfect sense.  It would also mean getting into California for recruiting and challenging the PAC12.  If that is the Big12 goal then SDSU is in good shape.  If not, then SDSU is forever going to be a mid-player in college sports.

Then problem with SDSU and “California” recruiting is CA is a big State and SDSU is literally at the edge.   It does do much for recruiting anything North of the Tehachapi’s.

8 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Then problem with SDSU and “California” recruiting is CA is a big State and SDSU is literally at the edge.   It does do much for recruiting anything North of the Tehachapi’s.

I mean, not counting LA county, there are about 9mil people just between SD/OC/Riverside. And then you add LA making about 20 mil people within a two hour radius of SDSU only counting the US side. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

I mean, not counting LA county, there are about 9mil people just between SD/OC/Riverside. And then you add LA making about 20 mil people within a two hour radius of SDSU only counting the US side. 

Do we disagree?  All those are south of the Tehachapi’s are they not? 

1 hour ago, StanfordAggie said:

They don't have a stadium. 

2 hours ago, BSUFiend said:

Was looking at a couple of UNT websites & found these pics.  As one who has no dog in who comes & goes as far as adding new members from  high density population areas, North Texas ain’t chopped liver.  42K+ students & growing I read elsewhere.  Look at these below pics?  They have what looks like as good or better venues than most G5 schools. Their football program sucks right now but what school hasn’t had a losing cycle in every varsity sport before?
C4B9AB9C-3CCC-4516-8FBF-C7D7D35A406D.jpeg.ab375d37017e8c50df91d388cb3aa981.jpeg9C81B5DB-6115-4623-851D-9E97D51D6411.jpeg.b299f005d57ee277353df5032e2c32ba.jpegC17B4E12-96C0-4860-BCE2-1FDE50AB2F30.jpeg.bf91c659e6e6f67c1fc199c5906a659b.jpeg35ED7A57-9F12-49D8-8A28-23FF026C878F.jpeg.429241a97b1cda2637bf2e4d6f8dd16c.jpeg1EABC2B5-FB51-43B8-88AA-98489C21BD60.jpeg.de540221d1d00150e6219d492f489e62.jpeg6B6C29CF-E344-4121-8C20-71B56BE8F09E.jpeg.cc9faab0c7af31492555761eb7c18fc1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3
  • Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, NCAA 30 said:

Was looking at UNT website & found these pics.  As one who has no dog in the MWC fight for new members in high density population areas, North Texas ain’t chopped liver. 

Cheers for the compliment! DMG has a better shot below than what I posted.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NCAA 30 said:

Was looking at a couple of UNT websites & found these pics.  As one who has no dog in the MWC fight as far as adding new members in high density population areas, North Texas ain’t chopped liver.  Look at these below pics?  Their football program sucks now but what school hasn’t had a losing cycle in every varsity sport?
C4B9AB9C-3CCC-4516-8FBF-C7D7D35A406D.jpeg.ab375d37017e8c50df91d388cb3aa981.jpeg

That picture of the super pit is a little bit old so here's a more recent one

Basketball_157.jpg

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

It’s good for recruiting SoCal but not Cal. 

Also take into consideration that if SDSU was in the Big12 they would be able to compete with the PAC12 for the 4 and 5 star recruits. Taking away those recruits weakens the PAC12.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1