Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

2 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

For the Big XII, yes.  Even though La Jolla would classy up the place.  A bit more than Provo, but that's for another day

UCSD will never be in the PAC-12 or any other elevated conference without having a strong football program. I don't see them even adding one, ever. Now, in 50 years when football may no longer be around, supplanted but soccer then perhaps they will get a look.

20 hours ago, utaggies said:

Give Gonzaga what they have right now in the WCC — and perhaps a little more. Their current deal is that all WCC teams share equally in any first round NCAA basketball tournament credit that the Zags earn. All additional credits, i.e., tournament games, are weighted more to Gonzaga’s financial benefit. I don’t know the formula. If Gonzaga goes deeper into the tourney both the Zags and the other WCC benefit, but the Zags benefit proportionally more.

This kind of deal only rewards Gonzaga proportionally more if they keep playing beyond the first round. If Few leaves and Gonzaga tanks then the Zags don’t benefit but neither does the conference take a financial hit.

That’s not just for Gonzaga.  Any WCC school that makes a deep run benefits.  Seems fair to me - rewards good performance and incentivizes programs to get better.

• Like 1

v0icAvfW.jpg

54 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

That’s not just for Gonzaga.  Any WCC school that makes a deep run benefits.  Seems fair to me - rewards good performance and incentivizes programs to get better.

The A-10 has a distribution system that rewards teams who advance in the tournament as well.

• Like 1

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

5 hours ago, Aztec1984 said:

Why would the B12 take SMU when they already have TCU?

The way I see it. SMU has a strong football and basketball program right now. If they get into the Big 12, it might make them stronger. The Dallas fan base might even get interested I. A Big 12 SMU team amd Dallas is a large city. Let’s say Boise State gets in… IMO I think a Boise has tapped their potential.. they may improve in recruiting but their fan base will barely increase and the TV market isn’t impressive… not knocking on the program. 

As for SDSU, strong athletic program, huge TV market.. but you guys are 4-0 right now, when I watches the Utah game, the stadium was empty ( I shouldn’t talk shit as a UH fan because our fan base is crap) but for you guys who’s always competitive. I would think your home games regardless of LA or in San Diego would have a bigger fan base. 

Aside from the MWC TV Contract, the MWC conference as a whole is heading in the right directive as far as competitiveness is and we’re only getting better. All the stadiums are being renovated or being built, the facilties are improving. The MWC is catching up with the big boys. Maybe not SEC/Big10. But the other conferences aren’t that far ahead anymore. 

that’s my take… but I think SMU has a shot. I think having more Texas schools in the Big12 is better. Having a East to West coast conference is hard. Would I be surprised in SDSU or Boise get invited? No

MWC should go after North Texas and UTSA for football only.

2 hours ago, since1670 said:

Think MWC will be greater than the AAC ? Listen to this:

A  MWC without BSU, CSU, and SDSU may not attract schools.

Csu would not have been interested in AAC if they thought they had a shot at Big 12

10 hours ago, since1670 said:

Think MWC will be greater than the AAC ? Listen to this:

A  MWC without BSU, CSU, and SDSU may not attract schools.

A youtube that's been posted probably 5 times now....and much of the info debunked.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

5 minutes ago, RSF said:

A youtube that's been posted probably 5 times now....and much of the info debunked.

I don’t get the obsession with Kurtz…. His videos get posted all over BYU sites too.  He just seems like a fan that regurgitates known information from sports media.  I never get anything new or particularly interesting from his videos.

• Like 1

v0icAvfW.jpg

5 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I don’t get the obsession with Kurtz…. His videos get posted all over BYU sites too.  He just seems like a fan that regurgitates known information from sports media.  I never get anything new or particularly interesting from his videos.

People in general, in the absence of real information, will latch onto any schmuck with a mic willing to take a grain of info and build a sand castle out of it.  Especially if the end result is in their best interest.  In this case, the Big 12, like all conferences, remains open minded to anything...therefore, the Big 12 is definitely expanding further.

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

7 hours ago, Runandshoot said:

MWC should go after North Texas and UTSA for football only.

Not sure if you were saying both football only, or UTSA football only, but either way it doesn't really matter. You're not going to get either school to go that route.

17 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Had no idea uc-d was aau.  Good for them

Not surprising as it is part of the UC System and is the leading Ag Research Uni in the State.

I have family members that went to school there. It's considered to be a fairly prestigious degree.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

56 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

SDSU isn't going to the Big 12....but this slide made me feel good at least. lol.

image.png.b62ce833f1eb75d06628c012a62f5989.png

I noticed that as well. They do have fb and academic metrics that fit in with the New 12, but they are on a geographic Island.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

3 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

I noticed that as well. They do have fb and academic metrics that fit in with the New 12, but they are on a geographic Island.

SDSU is just not a regional fit for the Big12 and that will always be true. But from a metrics POV seems about half the MW is not so bad. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gakusei said:

Not sure if you were saying both football only, or UTSA football only, but either way it doesn't really matter. You're not going to get either school to go that route.

IMO, UNT is ready for full membership in the MWC. The Super Pit is a decent venue (albeit aging a little). They just had a nice basketball run in 2021 as well.

However, I could only see UTSA getting a football invite from the MWC or AAC until they make some upgrades. Their facilities are extremely lackluster. That 2,600 seat UTSA basketball gym is one of the worst in the country. There’s no way basketball schools like UNLV, SDSU, or UNM are allowing that program to sink our conference. It’d be beneficial for us all if UTSA moved olympics to Southland and football to the MWC. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ram1554 said:

IMO, UNT is ready for full membership in the MWC. The Super Pit is a decent venue (albeit aging a little). They just had a nice basketball run in 2021 as well.

However, I could only see UTSA getting a football invite from the MWC or AAC until they make some upgrades. Their facilities are extremely lackluster. That 2,600 seat UTSA basketball gym is one of the worst in the country. There’s no way basketball schools like UNLV, SDSU, or UNM are allowing that program to sink our conference. It’d be beneficial for us all if UTSA moved olympics to Southland and football to the MWC. 

Or not. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

SDSU is just not a regional fit for the Big12 and that will always be true. But from a metrics POV seems about half the MW is not so bad. 

Never bought the regional fit thing.  Orlando isn't a regional fit either, nor is Cincinnati.  By adding those two, they essentially made a new region with WVU.  The same could be done out west if you add Boise and SDSU to BYU. I agree though, we won't be part of the Big12.  It doesn't really matter how many  barriers, perceived and real SDSU knocks down.  Best to assume we're in the MWC for the long haul.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

9 minutes ago, Ram1554 said:

I'd agree that UTSA isn't ready for a full membership. That said, they're not going to leave CUSA and throw the rest of their MBB/WBB and Olympic sports down the blackhole that is the Southland. Either they get offered full membership, or they don't come at all. Currently they're straddling phase 2/3 of their 4 phase master plan. If they continue following that plan, they still need to build new baseball and softball stadiums before they even start thinking about a new arena and on campus football stadium. These are things that could be 10-20 years away, or even more.

The CSU AD interview made it seem like they're looking at UTSA, when he mentioned Texas schools that are investing in athletics. If the conference does expand with two CUSA Texas schools, though, it would almost have to be UNT and Rice. That or they take UTSA and work with their media partners to ensure no UTSA home basketball games are shown. If UTSA does hit a hot streak, maybe they can work something out to play those games at the AT&T Center.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Never bought the regional fit thing.  Orlando isn't a regional fit either, nor is Cincinnati.  By adding those two, they essentially made a new region with WVU.  The same could be done out west if you add Boise and SDSU to BYU. I agree though, we won't be part of the Big12.  It doesn't really matter how many  barriers, perceived and real SDSU knocks down.  Best to assume we're in the MWC for the long haul.

If B12 goes 16, I think there's a chance.  I know there's a bunch of money around SMU but I gotta believe SDSU adds more value having a footprint in Cali.

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg