Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

7 minutes ago, since1670 said:

Any school listed could probably beat Duquesne. Is that an university? Be very afraid.

I thought we were talking about AAC candidates, not the University of Ohio, so your statement is wildly irrelevant.  Not sure what I'm supposed to be afraid of, either.  

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

8 hours ago, since1670 said:

"The AAC is dead already."

You guys need to take off those rose colored glasses. The MWC is more likely to lose a top program than the AAC.

The AAC can easily add schools in Atlanta, Miami, Birmingham, Houston, San Antonio, and Buffalo. Schools in those cities are not dregs. Every one of them is Carnegie R1. A couple are AAU.

I don't have the Carnegie classifications in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that the only FBS school in the country that is in the AAU but not already a member of a P5 conference is Buffalo. And I doubt that they are a particularly attractive target for the AAC (or any other conference).

7 hours ago, RSF said:

Hate to tell you, but the AAC has already lost a top program.  

And all of those schools alluded to are already AAC's Plan C, so adding them easily isnt really a selling point.  As for dregs, none of those schools is setting college athletics on fire.  And if you think PT Barnum gives a flying +++++ about Carnegie, I have a bridge for sale.  So, Yea Georgia State!!!

Carnegie classifications only matter at the point where top-tier research universities tend to have large endowments, which means that they have enough money to fund a successful athletic program. It's not coincidence that essentially every AAU school that plays FBS football is in the P5.

9 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

I don't have the Carnegie classifications in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that the only FBS school in the country that is in the AAU but not already a member of a P5 conference is Buffalo. And I doubt that they are a particularly attractive target for the AAC (or any other conference).

Carnegie classifications only matter at the point where top-tier research universities tend to have large endowments, which means that they have enough money to fund a successful athletic program. It's not coincidence that essentially every AAU school that plays FBS football is in the P5.

Rice

Carnegie R1 matters immensely. It identifies a mature university which means it has more resources than others.

10 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

Buffalo, Rice, Tulane in FBS

UC Davis in FCS 

https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

5 minutes ago, since1670 said:

Rice

2 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Had no idea uc-d was aau.  Good for them

UC Irvine is as well. Probably other UC's too. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

38 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

If you include FCS schools, there are a bunch. (The entire Ivy League, for example.) That's why I added the qualifier of FBS schools. I missed Rice and Tulane, though. The broader point remains, which is that AAU universities (or major research universities more generally) tend to be the wealthiest universities, so they can fund successful athletics programs. So when university presidents say that "academics" or "research" is an important criteria during conference expansion, it's not just academic elitism (although that plays a role). Other things being equal, a major research university with a huge endowment is more likely to maintain a successful athletics department than a poorer school that has had some recent success. (No disrespect intended to Boise State, but this is probably the single biggest reason that they haven't moved up the conference food chain more quickly.)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

All of the UCs except for Riverside and Merced are AAU. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

All of the UCs except for Riverside and Merced are AAU.  

Kinda noteworthy, is that UC San Diego was ranked 18th overall worldwide in this year's ARWU rankings.  The only PAC members ranked higher are Cal and UCLA. Just sayin' they'd fit nicely in the Pac 12...

Not having a football team is a bit of an impediment...  ;)

• Haha 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

12 minutes ago, RSF said:

Not having a football team is a bit of an impediment...  ;)

For the Big XII, yes.  Even though La Jolla would classy up the place.  A bit more than Provo, but that's for another day

• Cheers 1
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

There are now 10 UC campuses and at least to my knowledge the only ones which are NOT AAU are Riverside, Santa Cruz and the new one in Modesto.

The University of California prides itself on being the best public university system in the world.

Santa Cruz is.  Merced is not

2 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

It's crazy how far UC-Merced has climbed in 16 years though. I know USNWR isn't the best ranking for universities but they're already ranked #93 and have a 500 ranking in Shanghai. 

2022_SOC_AnnounceB1G_Web_1920x1080_58_.jpg

18 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Really odd to see that Santa Cruz now is.

When I attended CSUN before transferring to SDSU, on one of my PT jobs a co-worker was a student at Santa Cruz. In those days that campus was so hippie, it didn't even give out grades. Just pass/fail.

That co-worker was attending UCSC for grad school after having earned a BS at Cal Tech. I always wondered whether not having grades to show prospective employers might have hurt his employment chances. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 12:03 PM, wolf from 73 said:

The Mountain West holds all the cards now. Time to secure our present and future by being strategic and decisive. Offer as a package deal Eastern wing SMU, Tulsa, Memphis, Tulane and USF. If we can get 4 of these we also get Wichita St which would also bring in Gonzaga. We kill the AAC, up our contract to the 7 mil or better range by forcing ESPN to bid for us and establish us as the perennial playoff / NY6 representative conference. If the B-12 takes 2-4 in a couple of years that changes us very little. We separate completely from the rest of the G-3 and threaten the PAC-12 and B-12 for dominance in Football and BB. This ends all instability for these teams except for an upward movement.

Please wait until we leave before doing that.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 7:06 PM, RambleOn said:

I think the only move the should be made right now is to land Gonzaga and Wichita St.  They are the most valuable properties available right now even though they don't play football.  Get those two, and poaching from the AAC will make a lot more sense for the remaining schools.  Then strategically pick of the schools that you want. 

Gonzaga yes, they move the dial in BB only. WSU, no. Maybe paired with Navy (FB only) and then we would need to add at least one more total sports school. Heck, I think we have to add two of them in that scenario to be honest.

On 10/4/2021 at 12:09 AM, Runandshoot said:

SMU program starting to get consistent, Memphis is Memphis. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Big 12 takes SMU and Memphis. That will obliterate the AAC.

Why would the B12 take SMU when they already have TCU?

19 hours ago, utaggies said:

Give Gonzaga what they have right now in the WCC — and perhaps a little more. Their current deal is that all WCC teams share equally in any first round NCAA basketball tournament credit that the Zags earn. All additional credits, i.e., tournament games, are weighted more to Gonzaga’s financial benefit. I don’t know the formula. If Gonzaga goes deeper into the tourney both the Zags and the other WCC benefit, but the Zags benefit proportionally more.

This kind of deal only rewards Gonzaga proportionally more if they keep playing beyond the first round. If Few leaves and Gonzaga tanks then the Zags don’t benefit but neither does the conference take a financial hit.

Yep, they want to reward those that get farther in the March tournaments. I'm 100% good with that. Gonzaga has tried to get the other WCC programs to invest more in their programs. It has been a slow process. Give me that deal and I am totally good with it.

• Like 2