Jump to content
Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, BSUFiend said:

They don't seem to get that AFA/CSU got internal pressure from boosters and have some CBS conspiracy at play

I dunno...I am heavily involved in media and even have experience in sports media.

While it would need to be confirmed, I would guess that CBS wants to "keep what they bought". And they certainly don't want Boise State and SDSU to start getting wandering eyes.

While it may not mean extra cash for short term for anybody, it easily could be better exposure/time slots and maybe even a better future cash deal when things are renegotiated.

I mean, c'mon, Boise State and Utah State just played a game that started at 10AM (Mountain) to get primary CBS exposure.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

Lousiana, UAB, Coastal Carolina, App State to AAC now surely.

 

Also maybe FAU or Marshall

Perhaps or Aresco goes to ESPN and convinces them to add a western 8.   We know ESPN is pulling the strings.   

I don’t think a full western 8 is completely off the table yet.   ESPN is going to need more western content.  Let’s assume the CSU’s are working as a Bloc:  

that gives you: SDSU, Fresno, SJSU

lets assume UNLV says yes too though UNLV and Reno could be a block.   That gives you 5 with the option to add Boise, CSU and AF still.   
 

It’s why if I’m the MWC I shift the term sheet to a Performance Bonus and look to push the AAC east of the Mississippi and ideally east of the Appalachians. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

CBS has the 2:30CT/1:30MT time slot opening up in a couple years.

 

 

just a reminder....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

It's enjoyable to read, when they all think they are media contract experts.  Come on man....  

it doesn’t take a media expert to get that ESPN is loosing its western property in BYU (I think the Big 12 took them to F ESPN) and don’t have enough programming for the 7:00 pm time slot.  
 

they are likely to do something.  We shall see what their plan B is.   They are shady SOB’s.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

B12 did not take BYU to F ESPN.  They took BYU because they were the best program available.  The B12 and ESPN are still in business because that's what this is - business.

 

And ESPN still has the P12, and just got the NHL.  Losing 6 BYU games isnt going to leave a gaping hole in their Saturday lineup.  

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Perhaps or Aresco goes to ESPN and convinces them to add a western 8.   We know ESPN is pulling the strings.   

I don’t think a full western 8 is completely off the table yet.   ESPN is going to need more western content.  Let’s assume the CSU’s are working as a Bloc:  

that gives you: SDSU, Fresno, SJSU

lets assume UNLV says yes too though UNLV and Reno could be a block.   That gives you 5 with the option to add Boise, CSU and AF still.   
 

It’s why if I’m the MWC I shift the term sheet to a Performance Bonus and look to push the AAC east of the Mississippi and ideally east of the Appalachians. 

SDSU, SJSU, FSU, UNR, UNLV, BSU, CSU, AFA...that's just the Mountain West. If ESPN wants it, they'll bid when contracts are up.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

SDSU, SJSU, FSU, UNR, UNLV, BSU, CSU, AFA...that's just the Mountain West. If ESPN wants it, they'll bid when contracts are up.

They may not want to wait that long.  They can just take it as a western division if they really wanted.  

though I’m guessing they would prefer: 

SDSU, Fresno, Hawaii, UNLV, Boise St., New Mexico, AF, Colorado State

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Lets assume UNLV says yes too though UNLV and Reno could be a block.

Especially with Sandoval now school Prez for Nevada, I absolutely believe Nevada and UNLV are a block going forward.

I also think it’s interesting that Norvell wants Boise St to be a 2nd annual rivalry game for us. I don’t disagree in the slightest.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now…SMU, Tulsa, UTSA, Memphis (or a 4th from Texas). Here we go. I still think we need to expand.

I wouldn’t be opposed to going SMU, UTSA, Army, Navy, either.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bornsilverandblue said:

Especially with Sandoval now school Prez for Nevada, I absolutely believe Nevada and UNLV are a block going forward.

I also think it’s interesting that Norvell wants Boise St to be a 2nd annual rivalry game for us. I don’t disagree in the slightest.

Outside of Reno and maybe Sparks Sandoval no longer controls anything. I would take that new rivalry game so you have something for an annual game. After the next western realignment UNLV may give Reno a 2 for 1 with games every other or 3rd year. Handwriting meet wall.

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The MW absolutely has to go for the knock-out punch now that Hair just caught them with a lucky haymaker. Wichita St and SMU are a must along with Gonzaga and 1 to 3 other AAC teams. This would open up our contract and renegotiate up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, namssa said:

How many more members would need to leave the AAC for them to be able to vote to dismantle the conference?  If the MW adds Memphis, SMU, Tulsa and one other that would leave them with only 4 football members.  Could the 7 vote to disband?  It would save everyone a lot of exit fees.

At that point Navy would bail and go Indy. They are now down to 3

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, bornsilverandblue said:

Especially with Sandoval now school Prez for Nevada, I absolutely believe Nevada and UNLV are a block going forward.

I also think it’s interesting that Norvell wants Boise St to be a 2nd annual rivalry game for us. I don’t disagree in the slightest.

Boise should be in the west as should Utah State.   It is actually a good reason to go to 16:   Boise, Utah State, UNR and UNLV make a good pod. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, wolf from 73 said:

The MW absolutely has to go for the knock-out punch now that Hair just caught them with a lucky haymaker. Wichita St and SMU are a must along with Gonzaga and 1 to 3 other AAC teams. This would open up our contract and renegotiate up.

Probably 8 

Link to post
Share on other sites

SMU and Wichita State are the only two schools that make any sense at all right now. If we could maybe entice Gonzaga, even if that meant offering St. Mary's, then so be it.  Adding too many private schools doesn't make much sense, honestly I wish all the privates would start their own Trinity Type Conference anyway.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

The comment in the MWC press release tells me we are looking at expanding.  Doing away with divisions and pairing the two best teams in the championship game is all about an expansion. A couple of additions won't impact the matchup in the championship game as much as you don't worry about a division strength.   No divisions and a very different scheduling arrangement is in the works.

 

CBS/Fox also may have come through a bit on the pending TV deal.  Paramount + needs sports content.  The length of the AAC TV deal is killing them,  Aresco was stupid

Hoping for

BB:  Gonzaga, Witchita

FB: UTSA and ??????  I don't think SMU is an option and not sure we want Tulsa

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Billings said:

The comment in the MWC press release tells me we are looking at expanding.  Doing away with divisions and pairing the two best teams in the championship game is all about an expansion. A couple of additions won't impact the matchup in the championship game as much as you don't worry about a division strength.   No divisions and a very different scheduling arrangement is in the works.

 

CBS/Fox also may have come through a bit on the pending TV deal.  Paramount + needs sports content.  The length of the AAC TV deal is killing them,  Aresco was stupid

Hoping for

BB:  Gonzaga, Witchita

FB: UTSA and ??????  I don't think SMU is an option and not sure we want Tulsa

From another published and well read online subscription source: 

Asked if expanding to more than 12 members is on the table, Thompson said it is, though he deferred that decision-making to others.

“What can we do to make this league better?” Thompson said. “The next step is for us to consider our future. Is more members better? Do we stay at 12? I don’t have an answer to either of those questions. The first catalyst was staying together. Now we’ll sit down, the athletic director group, debate options present, potentially, something to the board, and the board will determine.”

Football options, non-football options and possible scheduling adjustments

Options to pursue could include non-football members like Gonzaga and Wichita State. Gonzaga, which nearly completed an undefeated national championship season earlier this year in men’s basketball, is set to lose its biggest West Coast Conference rival BYU to the Big 12, while Wichita State joined the AAC and has since seen major basketball programs UConn, Houston and Cincinnati depart the league.

Football options could include expanding into Texas for Conference USA teams like North Texas, UTSA or Rice, giving the league a new source for football talent and reaching more major markets and the Central time zone. While some observers have brought up SMU, it’s believed the Mustangs are happy in the AAC. If football success is key, FCS powerhouse North Dakota State could be a potential option for the Mountain West.

Thompson said all options could be on the table. “It gets back to somewhat geography and travel,” he said. Thompson also said other changes have been discussed within the Mountain West internally for months, from abolishing football divisions to adding nine conference games.

“The worst thing that could happen to the Mountain West is a 7-5 division champ upsetting an 11-1 team from the other division,” he said. “We’re looking at that. We’re looking at maybe going to nine conference games. If we’re going to potentially lose non-conference opportunities to the alliance or the Big 12 or the SEC, how do you replace those games? Are we better off playing conference games and you don’t pay a guarantee and your fans might have more interest in a conference game? Those are the types of things we’re looking at.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, quickdraw said:

Outside of Reno and maybe Sparks Sandoval no longer controls anything. I would take that new rivalry game so you have something for an annual game. After the next western realignment UNLV may give Reno a 2 for 1 with games every other or 3rd year. Handwriting meet wall.

 

Will Vegas have won a game by then?

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...