Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

9 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

The AAC fans are buying into the CSU narrative. From the AAC board: With our additions, I doubt a significant loss. Getting the #17 DMA and a National brand is gonna help. We need at least 1 more strong team and unless more MWC are coming, I don’t see it.

FYI, the #17 DMA is Denver! Next thing you know, the AAC fans will be doing their facility upgrade plans in watercolor! :ph34r:

CSU is barely a brand in the state of Colorado

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

Bigger campus, not a bigger town. Missoula (U of M) population: 74K; Bozeman (Montana State) population: 53K

Bozeman will probably surpass Missoula in about 10 years due to explosive growth, so yes, more upside.

JMHO, but I think all the Dakota/Montana schools are years away from being good adds to a conference like the MWC. There's just not enough total population, even with the recent western growth. 

It's not just the population of the towns themselves, but the surrounding area.  Those are small towns for FBS football, but just as important the population of the states is small relative to states where the MWC could easily expand with FBS schools  like Texas.  

34 minutes ago, robe said:

Tulane left the SEC to play a national schedule.

They left because they were getting their asses kicked.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

17 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

The AAC fans are buying into the CSU narrative. From the AAC board: With our additions, I doubt a significant loss. Getting the #17 DMA and a National brand is gonna help. We need at least 1 more strong team and unless more MWC are coming, I don’t see it.

FYI, the #17 DMA is Denver! Next thing you know, the AAC fans will be doing their facility upgrade plans in watercolor! :ph34r:

Airports all over the east better prepare themselves for a sea of people wearing CSU hoodies. I hope they're ready...

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, robe said:

Goergia Tech left the SEC too. Not sure why they did. 

Because Bobby Dodd was tired of a) Bear Bryant's bullshit and b) the general over-recruitment of players in the SEC.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, lakesbison said:

that's why you should add NDSU.     huge fanbase and loyal followers.  it's be good for MWC

huge....that's funny....

14 hours ago, Aztec1984 said:

Does it bring more money to my school in adding these teams? That is what it is all about.

If the MW were to lose some schools its more about survival mode than about how much money a specific program brings.

If SDSU and Boise leave for the New12, the MW is in a bind. There are only so many Western FBS FB schools.  The question then becomes are we better off adding top FCS schools, faraway Texas schools, or NMSU/UTEP ?

Not attractive options.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

56 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

Bigger campus, not a bigger town. Missoula (U of M) population: 74K; Bozeman (Montana State) population: 53K

Bozeman will probably surpass Missoula in about 10 years due to explosive growth, so yes, more upside.

JMHO, but I think all the Dakota/Montana schools are years away from being good adds to a conference like the MWC. There's just not enough total population, even with the recent western growth. 

It might be quicker than 10 years, that whole area all the way over to Belgrade is going nuts with growth. 

9 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

@East Coast Aztec, What's your opinion on St. Thomas?  Can they carve out a niche as the second D1 school in Minnesota??  

Not really.  They will maybe increase their support from alumni, but they are a stones throw away from Minnesota's campus, so they don't get to build a new market.  They will get supported by Minnesotans, but there will likely not be any major change.

54 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

East coast lack of knowledge about anything west of the Mississippi. Can they even find Fort Collins and Denver on a map?

There are plenty of maps and data out there to show CSU is low in the Denver DMA. Being in the AAC will not change that.

Besides the old NY Times fan map

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-fan-map.html

More recent maps include location of ticket buyers for every team on Vivid.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/college-football-ticket-sales/

Or a new 2021 updated map showing the location of Twitter followers for teams.

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/matt.sorenson/viz/CollegeFootballFollowerMap/CollegeFootballMap

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

The brand is bigger than Fargo.

1134844493_ScreenShot2021-09-30at11_33_48AM.png.1457d17f8d84943f9fe720800a34672b.png
746845867_ScreenShot2021-09-30at11_32_59AM.png.48fdf8d1fb53fc563e6f64146eb329fd.png

Not the measurement of a fan base you think it is.

Huge fan base....still funny...