Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

6 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I agree that NDSU is worthy of a promotion.  There just isn't anywhere for them to go.  The MAC appears to be set at 12 with no reason to add.  The MW wouldn't be interested even if they were adding.  The AAC isn't going to be calling either. 

NDSU should be mad at the Montana school's lack of vision. They could have moved up to a FBS WAC 10+ years ago. As other schools joined the MWC and CUSA, the Idaho and Montana schools would have been a powerful voting block. This block could have been receptive to the Dakota schools. 

As it stands now, the Dakota schools are just too far away from any current FBS conference to logically add. 

Unless there is a very desperate conference, no one will add them. The only hope for NDSU is to convince Idaho, the Montana twins and the Dakota schools to form the core for a new FBS conference. The chances are very slim, but it's their only path currently.

Good luck with your aspirations, but they are not with the Mountain West Conference.

• Like 1

image.gif

3 hours ago, CKS007 said:

NDSU should be mad at the Montana school's lack of vision. They could have moved up to a FBS WAC 10+ years ago. As other schools joined the MWC and CUSA, the Idaho and Montana schools would have been a powerful voting block. This block could have been receptive to the Dakota schools. 

As it stands now, the Dakota schools are just too far away from any current FBS conference to logically add. 

Unless there is a very desperate conference, no one will add them. The only hope for NDSU is to convince Idaho, the Montana twins and the Dakota schools to form the core for a new FBS conference. The chances are very slim, but it's their only path currently.

Good luck with your aspirations, but they are not with the Mountain West Conference.

Part of me wished we had moved up then but seeing how the WAC imploded I'm kind if happy we didn't as chances are we'd be just like NMSU, without a home. Since then both schools have made investments into their facilities (MSU in particular) and athletics as a whole and both teams are now consistently in the upper echelons of the FCS.

The way I see it the only way we get an MWC invite is if the MWC is raided so badly they have to or they want to go to 16 teams which are both unlikely scenarios. 

Also creating a new Conference is an even farther reach. Besides the Dakota States and the Montana Schools you'd have very slim pickings in terms of teams to add. If we could get all 4 Dakota Schools and Northern Iowa to join that'd be a solid 7 teams but again issues would be their facilities and lack of other teams to join. 

I've not been shy about wanting both Montanas and Dakota States in the MWC, but I'm not naive enough to think that'd we'd be the option picked over some C-USA Texas schools.

I would like to officially inform all of you that the rumors of Idaho going to the MWC or AAC are unsubstantiated.  While there have been discussions, Idaho does not see it's interests best served by changing conferences at this time.  Thank you.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

I would like to officially inform all of you that the rumors of Idaho going to the MWC or AAC are unsubstantiated.  While there have been discussions, Idaho does not see it's interests best served by changing conferences at this time.  Thank you.

Must be a great disappointment for Boise State.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Are CU fans keeping an eye on this because there is a lot of pressure to drop football and keep kids in a safe space?  

Why would anyone keep an eye on this?

Because McNeese would be a good add for the WAC's move to build a 1AA football conference.  WAC has already snagged 4 Southland members.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, Wyobraska said:

Im still not seeing why people should pay attention in regards to MW realignment.  

MW wants into Texas.  The new WAC has several members ripe for the picking.

12 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Im still not seeing why people should pay attention in regards to MW realignment.  

It's a 'Conference Realignment' thread.  

• Like 3

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

10 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

WAC still has their FBS charter and they could decide to move up from FCS later this decade.  McNeese State was one of those programs being talked about making the jump about 10-20 years ago.

11 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

MW wants into Texas.  The new WAC has several members ripe for the picking.

None of those WAC Texas schools fit the MWC school profile.  They are in more rural areas as opposed to urban areas like the MWC & Pac-12 schools are located in.  Think the WAC being the west's version of the Sun Belt Conference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

I'm gonna go ahead and confirm, within two weeks Air Force, Colorado State, UAB, and UTSA the the AAC. Should be next week but I'll say two.

MWC is gonna stay firm in football but are looking at basketball schools.

Who gets punted into the mountain division from the west, or are divisions just dropped entirely?

Latest from the conference realignment board: Brett McMurphy predicted in a podcast yesterday that AFA and CSU to the AAC will likely be announced next week, and Matt Brown commented that he’s hearing the same thing and that “this is as close to being a done deal as you can get without being a done deal.”

https://csnbbs.com/thread-930739.html

To me that ends the speculation.  AFA and CSU are gone.  Now the question is what will the MWC do in response?

13 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

i would assume, then, the in-state rivalries in the west get protection in scheduling. 

if we go bigger than 12 I would prefer something like pods with protected regional games...but leave the conf the flexibility with the rest of the schedule to maximize value to media partners.