Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

30 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I would guess Rice would have no interest in looking west again.  That whole airport meeting business, you know..

In the unlikely event that the MW adds I would guess it would be more along the lines of UTSA and North Texas.

Big State schools in large population areas..Lots of football recruits in Texas.

Has there ever been any data on whether having a Texas school actually helps recruiting? I just briefly glanced at the San Antonio recruiting news and I see 1 P5 signee and 3-4 G5 signees in a 1.5 million population in 2021. New Braunfels and San Marcos was included. If I was a recruit, I don't see how a game every 2 or 4 (for cross-over)years would affect which school I was choosing.

8 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Has there ever been any data on whether having a Texas school actually helps recruiting? I just briefly glanced at the San Antonio recruiting news and I see 1 P5 signee and 3-4 G5 signees in a 1.5 million population in 2021. New Braunfels and San Marcos was included. If I was a recruit, I don't see how a game every 2 or 4 (for cross-over)years would affect which school I was choosing.

Maybe not..I am guessing there are a lot more football recruits in Texas than North Dakota though..I don't think the MW is looking to add anyway..But who knows?

18 minutes ago, ziggy29 said:

Last I heard, NDSU and Montana had no desire to jump to FBS, preferring to be the biggest fish in a smaller pond.  Has that changed?

NDSU has changed its tune in the last year or so (maybe cause of the disaster of a spring season). NDSU’s AD used to say “we are in our sweet spot and happy at the FCS…” to “We believe we are well positioned to consider a offer”. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Maybe not..I am guessing there are a lot more football recruits in Texas than North Dakota though..I don't think the MW is looking to add anyway..But who knows?

Minnesota is where a huge chunk of NDSU players are from. 

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

And in 2020 there were a dozen P5 signees.

Among the big cities SA does trail behind the others generally.  My argument has always been UTSA and Texas State doesnt make you a player in SA/Austin.  Neither does No Texas in DFW or Rice in Houston.  I guess it doesnt hurt to be in Texas.  How much it helps is debatable.

51 minutes ago, Bizon said:

Minnesota is where a huge chunk of NDSU players are from. 

Minnesota being such a football hotbed.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

57 minutes ago, Bizon said:

NDSU has changed its tune in the last year or so (maybe cause of the disaster of a spring season). NDSU’s AD used to say “we are in our sweet spot and happy at the FCS…” to “We believe we are well positioned to consider a offer”. 

I agree that NDSU is worthy of a promotion.  There just isn't anywhere for them to go.  The MAC appears to be set at 12 with no reason to add.  The MW wouldn't be interested even if they were adding.  The AAC isn't going to be calling either. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

7 minutes ago, RSF said:

And in 2020 there were a dozen P5 signees.

Among the big cities SA does trail behind the others generally.  My argument has always been UTSA and Texas State doesnt make you a player in SA/Austin.  Neither does No Texas in DFW or Rice in Houston.  I guess it doesnt hurt to be in Texas.  How much it helps is debatable.

Minnesota being such a football hotbed.

Lol in the last 5 years NDSU has had a player from North Dakota and Minnesota drafted at #2 and #3 in the first round…. It’s been since 1939 that TCU had a player drafted at or higher than that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bizon said:

Lol in the last 5 years NDSU has had a player from North Dakota and Minnesota drafted at #2 and #3 in the first round…. It’s been since 1939 that TCU had a player drafted at or higher than that. 

Wow.  2 guys.  Congrats.  How's that 1st high #1 working out?  Calvin Wertz or something.  Our last top 5 pick is in the HofF.  And it wasnt in 1939.

One small private school, with multiple 1st rd picks, vs 2 whole states.  Did Wertz or Lance win the O'Brien Award?

Guessing you were never a debater.   A master debater, perhaps.

• Haha 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

10 minutes ago, Bizon said:

I remember a young man from TCU that wore a SD Charger bolt on his helmet that was a pretty good runner of the football....

• Like 1

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 minutes ago, RSF said:

Wow.  2 guys.  Congrats.  How's that 1st high #1 working out?  Calvin Wertz or something.  Our last top 5 pick is in the HofF.  And it wasnt in 1939.

One small private school, with multiple 1st rd picks, vs 2 whole states.  Did Wertz or Lance win the O'Brien Award?

Guessing you were never a debater.   A master debater, perhaps.

The guy who was a few weeks away from being the MVP a few years ago? Or did you happen to catch Lance on SNF yesterday? Did you know he passed on a boise state offer? I said higher or at. Which means 3 or better FYI. How has TCU not had someone in the top 3 in 80+ years if they have access to the only areas worthy of looking at??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uteAggie said:

What is ACTUALLY being discussed at the School President level is this:

AFA is gone

CSU is likely gone

AAC will pay their exit fees from the MWC using the pool of money they are getting from BIG12 3

Rice and one more C-USA Texas school gets the invite to join the MWC, maybe two more (less likely).  

That's what is happening in the real world, all this other speculation is fun for some, but not happening.  Now back to work!   

Rice ran away as fast as they could muster to C-USA because it was a better fit for them, you don't see schools going back to a conference they left because they didn't want to be there anymore and they add absolutely nothing to the conference sports wise so the conference will be weaker with then and that isn't the point of expansion, you want to get stronger not weaker, but then look at AAC they are going to be weaker so maybe that argument is out the window.

However again, nothing has been announced or leaked or anything which by now probably would have happened. Until something is announced I don't see it happening because doesn't make sense just for football.

However was watching something on You Tube today where they had a Pac-12 writing who says that presidents are looking at expansion but it won't happen this year unless something blows up and they need to move quickly. He went onto say even though there is a gentlemen's agreement between Big 12 and Pac-12 about not raiding each other in expansion both conferences that both conferences would likely end up going after each other's schools.

The video went onto say that Pac-12 have two main targets which everyone already knows but the president's are arguing with the other two potential targets. The schools on top of their list are TCU and Houston with the other two schools being Texas Tech and for some reason Baylor. However they went onto say that unless something dramatic happens (like if Texas and Oklahoma leave before 2025) he doesn't expect a Power 5 conference to make any moves for the next 12-18 months.

But again until something happens its all speculation that is being fed by the media

14 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

However was watching something on You Tube today where they had a Pac-12 writing who says that presidents are looking at expansion but it won't happen this year unless something blows up and they need to move quickly. He went onto say even though there is a gentlemen's agreement between Big 12 and Pac-12 about not raiding each other in expansion both conferences that both conferences would likely end up going after each other's schools.

The video went onto say that Pac-12 have two main targets which everyone already knows but the president's are arguing with the other two potential targets. The schools on top of their list are TCU and Houston with the other two schools being Texas Tech and for some reason Baylor. However they went onto say that unless something dramatic happens (like if Texas and Oklahoma leave before 2025) he doesn't expect a Power 5 conference to make any moves for the next 12-18 months.

But again until something happens its all speculation that is being fed by the media

Any report that the Pac-12 is interested in adding Baylor should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt.

2 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Any report that the Pac-12 is interested in adding Baylor should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt.

Oh I know it does and it sounded like the guy didn't believe that either when he heard it, I wonder if got mixed up with something else but did say two or three times that TCU and Houston were the top two targets

• Like 1

To be honest, I don't see a reason to replace either school if CSU and AFU leave. They want to pay some $12.5m leave then so be it. Not sure what the AAC can give them over the MWC given they just lost their 3 best programs. What do we lose, 1 decent football program and one decent basketball program?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aztec1984 said:

To be honest, I don't see a reason to replace either school if CSU and AFU leave. They want to pay some $12.5m leave then so be it. Not sure what the AAC can give them over the MWC given they just lost their 3 best programs. What do we lose, 1 decent football program and one decent basketball program?

Probably your media deal, but you’ll get a new one.  

5 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Rice ran away as fast as they could muster to C-USA because it was a better fit for them, you don't see schools going back to a conference they left because they didn't want to be there anymore and they add absolutely nothing to the conference sports wise so the conference will be weaker with then and that isn't the point of expansion, you want to get stronger not weaker, but then look at AAC they are going to be weaker so maybe that argument is out the window.

However again, nothing has been announced or leaked or anything which by now probably would have happened. Until something is announced I don't see it happening because doesn't make sense just for football.

That is the longest sentence I’ve seen in a while.

There’s been leaks but the process is early so they haven’t been ‘x is going to y’, more like ‘oh crap the MWC is getting affected by realignment after all’.  One more week and things will clear up.  The process is slower than the big 12’s for three reasons: they did their research in 2016, there’s more money involved with the Big12, and the aac has a much larger pool of candidates to pick from than the Big12.

I suspect the aac is currently discussing options with media partners and meeting with current member leadership.