Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

6 minutes ago, uteAggie said:

Any Dakota school that jumps to FBS needs to just join the MAC and be happy about it.  

The MAC has to send out the invite and it doesn't sound like it would happen for NDSU.

Just now, Jalapeno said:

The MAC has to send out the invite and it doesn't sound like it would happen for NDSU.

Not good enough for the MAC?  The MW should jump on that opportunity right away!

2 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

If Memphis moves it would probably be to the Big 12 but there are some hurdles to that which have been reported as well. Boise also has a few hurdles as well to getting the Big 12 as well, when and if it happens. Its all puzzle pieces right now that are shifting around, I strongly suspect the Big 12 we see now won't even be the one we see in three or four years. 

I still don't see CSU or AFA leaving and until something is announced by the schools I wouldn't believe it which I think if something was in the works I think it would have leaked out already.

However in other expansion news, Belmont announced they are moving to the Missouri Valley Conference and Austin Peay is going to Atlantic Sun.

Really, who do you see leaving?  My guess would be Texas and Oklahoma....

• Like 1
1 minute ago, e-zone99 said:

Really, who do you see leaving?  My guess would be Texas and Oklahoma....

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kansas and Oklahoma St leave possibly Texas Tech as well

• Facepalm 1
  • Downvote 1
1 minute ago, wolfpack1 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kansas and Oklahoma St leave possibly Texas Tech as well

Who's taking them?  I feel like if anyone wanted them, they would be gone already

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

To where, nobody has offered to take them and they were talking to everyone who would listen. 

• Like 1

Everyone is in a holding pattern right now to see if anything else is going to happen but things will move quicker when talks for contracts come up. Oklahoma St and Texas Tech almost went to Pac-12 once, and there is still some interest there. Kansas has made it known they aren't that thrilled right now with the Big 12 either, I wouldn't be surprised to see them leave.

Not saying they will, but just a feeling I have we may see more schools leave Big 12, but pretty much everyone is looking at all their options and no one is going to move until the time is right and that is when the TV contract talks heat up again probably next year. But also C-USA could be the conference that loses the most out of this as well, if everyone starts picking off their schools 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Downvote 1
2 hours ago, uteAggie said:

Any Dakota school that jumps to FBS needs to just join the MAC and be happy about it.  

The MAC would be a better option if there is no Mountain West (after its gutted) or if all the good teams leave and the TV revenue is nothing

But if we're patient we can do way better. We have the luxury of being in a stable conference and can continue building our program until the time is right

The WAC would be the better option if they follow through on their goal to move up to FBS within 10 years and want football only members 

They have an agreement with the Atlantic Sun as an FCS conference 

If the Montana schools ever wanted to go FBS together and the Mountain West is too snobby I could see a WAC someday with a football only conference of...

Montana, Montana State, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Sam Houston State, Jacksonville State, and maybe Northern Iowa

That core of 7 has some really good teams who draw well, have built in rivalries and care about football 

All the other FCS teams in the current WAC who don't want to move up would join the Atlantic Sun FCS Conference who was just formed and they have an auto bid alliance with them. So anyone who says "Dixie State in the FBS?" doesn't realize they would play football in the Atlantic Sun

Most of the other football programs are in Texas so that's got some potential.

All but 2 of the main school are in central time zones too (Montana schools Mountain)

16 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

The MAC would be a better option if there is no Mountain West (after its gutted) or if all the good teams leave and the TV revenue is nothing

But if we're patient we can do way better. We have the luxury of being in a stable conference and can continue building our program until the time is right

The WAC would be the better option if they follow through on their goal to move up to FBS within 10 years and want football only members 

If the Montana schools ever wanted to go FBS together and the Mountain West is too snobby I could see a WAC someday with a football only conference of...

Montana, Montana State, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Sam Houston State, Jacksonville State, and maybe Northern Iowa

That core of 7 has some really good teams who draw well, have built in rivalries and care about football 

All the other FCS teams in the current WAC who don't want to move up would join the Atlantic Sun FCS Conference who was just formed and they have an auto bid alliance with them. So anyone who says "Dixie State in the FBS?" doesn't realize they would play football in the Atlantic Sun

All but 2 of the main school are in central time zones too (Montana schools Mountain)

Former Frog does not seem to be sorry at all..This is like the third or 4th  sock he has created this week..

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

Everyone is in a holding pattern right now to see if anything else is going to happen but things will move quicker when talks for contracts come up. Oklahoma St and Texas Tech almost went to Pac-12 once, and there is still some interest there. Kansas has made it known they aren't that thrilled right now with the Big 12 either, I wouldn't be surprised to see them leave.

Not saying they will, but just a feeling I have we may see more schools leave Big 12, but pretty much everyone is looking at all their options and no one is going to move until the time is right and that is when the TV contract talks heat up again probably next year. But also C-USA could be the conference that loses the most out of this as well, if everyone starts picking off their schools 

Texas Tech to the Pac, now that's funny.  You do understand the Pac cares about academics and what kind of media market would Texas Tech bring to the Pac (aka, what value would they add).

1 hour ago, Herdbot said:

That agreement that WAC has with the ASUN is only for this season for football so that they could get an automatic bid to the FCS playoffs and also gives both conferences time to get the schools in.

59 minutes ago, e-zone99 said:

Texas Tech to the Pac, now that's funny.  You do understand the Pac cares about academics and what kind of media market would Texas Tech bring to the Pac (aka, what value would they add).

They came within an hour of coming to the Pac-12 several years ago along with Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma St so no it is not out of possibilities. Not all the Pac-12 president's believe that way and that is one thing the new commish is trying to bridge is the two sides, right now. But when money comes calling a lot of things change

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

They came within an hour of coming to the Pac-12 several years ago along with Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma St so no it is not out of possibilities. Not all the Pac-12 president's believe that way and that is one thing the new commish is trying to bridge is the two sides, right now. But when money comes calling a lot of things change

Key words for you, to get Texas and Oklahoma (2 of the top 10 valued programs in the nation) the Pac would have held their noses and took both Oklahoma St and Texas Tech.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
2 hours ago, Herdbot said:

Jacksonville State seems pretty out of the way to move up with the WAC, they are in the Atlantic Sun and only have the agreement for the WAC for this year. If the WAC did bring back FBS Football I could see:

Montana, Montana State, NDSU, SDSU, NMSU, UNI, Sam Houston State

Besides that who knows, perhaps raid the C-USA for some more Texas schools like UNT, Texas State, UTSA ect. if the AAC or MWC doesn't do so already.

Ideally however I'd like to see both Montanas and Dakota State schools in the MWC, but only see that if they get raided and even then would have to compete probably with some Texas Schools.

5 hours ago, Pelado said:

Not good enough for the MAC?  The MW should jump on that opportunity right away!

NDSU might be too good for the MAC.  The MAC thought the same way with Youngstown State in the 1990's.  They are just scared of a FCS team coming and setting the MAC world upside down.  The money difference between the MVFC/Summit and the MAC might be nil so what's the point?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, kalua pig said:

sources are telling me sdsu and hawai’i are next up for the pac14.

I hear that Miami of Ohio and the University of Northern Michigan are also a sure thing.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, e-zone99 said:

Key words for you, to get Texas and Oklahoma (2 of the top 10 valued programs in the nation) the Pac would have held their noses and took both Oklahoma St and Texas Tech.

And the Pac would be in a better place.

13 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

I can speak as a Buffs fan since 1989.  It starts at the top and right now the administration couldn't give a hoot about football.  The rest of the Pac-12 is very much like that.  The new Pac-12 commissioner has already told all the Pac-12 presidents they need to get serious about football & basketball.

When CU was in the Big 12, CU's administration was noticeably more serious about football because that is how the rest of the conference operated.

Let's say the company you keep does strongly influence how you want to go about things such as football & basketball.

I'm ready for CU to get out of the Pac-12 as soon as possible but that would mean leaving over 100,000+ living alumni on the west coast behind which isn't good for the bottom line of the school itself.

I always understood that the move to the PAC had nothing to with sports and everything to do with culture and where both the school's alumni base and non-Colorado student pool was located.  

7 minutes ago, RebelAlliance said:

I always understood that the move to the PAC had nothing to with sports and everything to do with culture and where both the school's alumni base and non-Colorado student pool was located.  

I don't know if your statement is true but as a western alum, I love Colorado being in the P12. Would suck to go backward.