Jump to content
Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

Cmon. It's not the fans who are annoying, it's the on field results. We hear it all week "you've never seen speed like us."  Then the games happen.

2019 - semi final

NDSU 42 Montana State 14

2018 - 2nd round playoffs. 

NDSU 52 Montana State 10

2010 2nd round playoffs in Bozeman

NDSU 42 Montana State 17

Wyoming 16 NDSU 13.

That Wyoming team was 4-8, and pretty +++++ing terrible. Look at these scores.

https://gowyo.com/sports/football/schedule/2008

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

Wyoming 16 NDSU 13.

That Wyoming team was 4-8, and pretty +++++ing terrible. Look at these scores.

https://gowyo.com/sports/football/schedule/2008

NDSU had a 6-5 team in their fourth year in D1 so there’s that. I think NDSU was riddled with injuries also that season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

isn't Honolulu compromised of transplants from the U.S. and Asia that don't have ties to the university? Granted a lot of those are wealthy transplants with some discretionary income to burn, and some of those would fund/attend/watch Hawaii athletics, but when you filter out the population that doesn't care about college football, I think that hinders PAC12 expansion to paradise

It's true that most of the very wealthy people in Hawaii are transplants.  The richest I'm aware of are multibillionaires Larry Ellison (Oracle) and Peter Omidyar (eBay).  Ellison bought almost the entire island of Lanai.  Unfortunately neither is interested in becoming the Phil Knight of UH.  If they were we'd look a lot more like Oregon and be a lot more visible on the Pac-12 radar screen.

But in absolute numbers there aren't a huge number of transplants in Hawaii.  Excluding the U.S. military presence about 44% of the population were born elsewhere, which is on par with states like Georgia, North Carolina and California.

The fans who used to fill 50K seats in Aloha Stadium are mainly locals, and they still love their football.  But like most Americans they also love a winner.  If UH can get back to the top of its game, beating P5 opponents and dominating the conference and climbing in the top 25 rankings, they'll get excited and fill up our future new stadium.  I think that's what has to happen for UH to be in the conversation assuming the Pac-12 needs to backfill or decides bigger is better.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

I really hope the top 4 PAC programs ruin themselves and their programs by joining a conference about 2000 miles from the west coast. Do it, do it, do it!!

But would they?  Assuming the B1G took 5, 6 or 7 (Colorado), the PAC schools would still have a full schedule of games with regional pod/division rivals.  They'd just be jettisoning games with the NW "states," Utah and the AZ schools.  They'd be adding intersectional games with a couple of B1G schools (all of whom have large alumni bases in LA, SF, Portland and Seattle) while tapping into the most successful conference network and becoming relevant to a part of the country that actually still cares about college football.  All this would be accomplished without selling their academic soul to the SEC.  It's no longer about either regional affiliations or even local markets.  It's about national branding.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RebelAlliance said:

But would they?  Assuming the B1G took 5, 6 or 7 (Colorado), the PAC schools would still have a full schedule of games with regional pod/division rivals.  They'd just be jettisoning games with the NW "states," Utah and the AZ schools.  They'd be adding intersectional games with a couple of B1G schools (all of whom have large alumni bases in LA, SF, Portland and Seattle) while tapping into the most successful conference network and becoming relevant to a part of the country that actually still cares about college football.  All this would be accomplished without selling their academic soul to the SEC.  It's no longer about either regional affiliations or even local markets.  It's about national branding.

At 4 schools it will be a shitty experience, at 6 maybe not as bad but then you're in a 20 team conference that spans all of the US and each division spanning half the country. It will be the greatest own goal of all time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ToTheMountains said:

What’s the scoop on Memphis? I haven’t heard much about them with everything going on and then again maybe I just forgot with all of the different threads and realignment stuff on here.

Memphis is a city located in the State of Tennessee, which is located neither in the mountains or the west.  Thus, they don't qualify to join us! ;-) That's the scoop on Memphis. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, uteAggie said:

Memphis is a city located in the State of Tennessee, which is located neither in the mountains or the west.  Thus, they don't qualify to join us! ;-) That's the scoop on Memphis. 

Season 6 Knowledge GIF by Friends

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bizon said:

The Fargodome is right next to the airport so travel will be easy for opposing teams. 

Proximity of the stadium to the airport is always the biggest factor in ease of travel.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

At 4 schools it will be a shitty experience, at 6 maybe not as bad but then you're in a 20 team conference that spans all of the US and each division spanning half the country. It will be the greatest own goal of all time. 

What I read bandied about was that if they took 7, the B1G would have three 7 team divisions (Atlantic, Great Lakes, Pacific).  Conference schedule of 6 division games plus 3 out of division.  Two game playoff of division winners and one wild card.  Championship rotating between Indy and the Rose Bowl.  It was just pure speculation, but from my perspective, that doesn't sound like much of a self-own to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RebelAlliance said:

What I read bandied about was that if they took 7, the B1G would have three 7 team divisions (Atlantic, Great Lakes, Pacific).  Conference schedule of 6 division games plus 3 out of division.  Two game playoff of division winners and one wild card.  Championship rotating between Indy and the Rose Bowl.  It was just pure speculation, but from my perspective, that doesn't sound like much of a self-own to me.

Yes, please let this happen. Nonsense divisions and conference mates you only play once a decade. I'm sure west coast programs that already have less engagement will totally not suffer for it. Can't wait.

Link to post
Share on other sites

PAC is losing most of the top regional talent to the SEC. Joining up with the BIG won't change that, having more dominant programs out west is the only solution.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

PAC is losing most of the top regional talent to the SEC. Joining up with the BIG won't change that, having more dominant programs out west is the only solution.

And how do you build up USC, UCLA, Stanford, Colorado and UW back into national brands?  By continuing to do what hasn't been working for almost twenty years?  Or by gaining access to the nation's most profitable conference, most widely watched conference network and becoming relevant to a high population part of the country that still cares about college football?  The 21 team B1G would have 5 legitimate bluebloods and another six or seven programs that have had high points where they've competed for national titles in recent decades.  To that, you can add 20 AAU schools with combined endowments and annual research funding that would make that of the SEC look like couch cushion change in comparison.  PRESTIGE WORLDWIDE!  Investors?  Possibly you!

Or they could just keep doing what's put them in their current predicament.  Maybe it'll work next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RebelAlliance said:

And how do you build up USC, UCLA, Stanford, Colorado and UW back into national brands?  By continuing to do what hasn't been working for almost twenty years?  Or by gaining access to the nation's most profitable conference, most widely watched conference network and becoming relevant to a high population part of the country that still cares about college football?  The 21 team B1G would have 5 legitimate bluebloods and another six or seven programs that have had high points where they've competed for national titles in recent decades.  To that, you can add 20 AAU schools with combined endowments and annual research funding that would make that of the SEC look like couch cushion change in comparison.  PRESTIGE WORLDWIDE!  Investors?  Possibly you!

Or they could just keep doing what's put them in their current predicament.  Maybe it'll work next year.

Joining the B1G will affirm what it seems a lot of west coast kids already believe. Real football is played in the heartland, Texas and Ohio. Maybe tOCU, Mich, PennSt and MichSt, will get all the recruits in the future instead of Bama, Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee. Progress! Like I said, I hope the best programs in the PAC do this to themselves. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, uteAggie said:

Memphis is a city located in the State of Tennessee, which is located neither in the mountains or the west.  Thus, they don't qualify to join us! ;-) That's the scoop on Memphis. 

Memphis is probably going to the Big 12 with Boise in a few years. It has been reported.  This is after Colorado State and Air Force leave.  After this all falls in place it may be a fight for survival

Aac is going to have to replace 4 teams and then Conference usa is going to gave to replace teams they lose. Could be the G4

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...