Jump to content
Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I’m all for adding Hawaii to get to 10 teams in all sports. I’m also all for adding them to get to 12 teams in all sports. Of course it’s not a given they would want to leave the BW.

 

Trade Hawaii for UNLV and SAN?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Your post was going well and was humorous until this point.

The further up the food chain you go, the more important quality depth, size, and speed matter. At the FCS level, there is a huuuuuuuge shortage of those attributes. I know, I follow Weber St football. They're a pretty good, but those three attributes are missing when i go watch a game.

When you're schedule reads @Sparty, Boise, Nevada, @Wyoming, SUDS, @ Fresno. You're going to be pretty beat up halfway into that stretch. 

Even beating UNLV or CSU in that stretch will be a difficult W.

B119BEF9-0141-4FB4-8892-ADA5E0C8EE18.gif.be80098dfbb6f9329aad0390ba08ea6c.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Herdbot said:

Speaking of Air Force, prepping for the triple option every year must suck for d coordinators.  We've played 3 option teams (5 games) in the playoffs with 6 days notice and they've all been tough games. 2 were easy but 3 were hard 

So, let me just make sure I understand.  Is it your position that preparing for an option team on less than 6 days notice is difficult?

What if the team were only to get one day of practice for that option scheme before having to leave for the other side of the country?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Brew_Poke said:

Must be some top notch research done there, then.

Yes, they are studying a lot of new ideas. now that information can be passed freely among the libraries, as you have probably guessed, each library doesn’t have to have all the information themselves.  It’s a good model for other colleges to follow.  They are talking about getting computers to do it too, not just fax, phone and USMail.  
 

For example:  NDSU is still the largest land holding college in the US I think and have some fields they have been studying and kept under continuous cultivation since the 1880s.  That’s the type of unique information that has real value in research when shared. 
 

That kind of open research has been one of the secrets to NDSU becoming the most efficient  team in college football when measured by $/win.  That stat shows the quality of NDSUs food.  Because it’s a top ag  school with the inter-library research framework solidly in place they have the best food, hence the healthiest athletes expertly coached in  the fundamentals of the game giving them an inexpensive winning edge. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pelado said:

So, let me just make sure I understand.  Is it your position that preparing for an option team on less than 6 days notice is difficult?

What if the team were only to get one day of practice for that option scheme before having to leave for the other side of the country?

I won't argue that point at all. Coastal Carolina would be very difficult with only a day notice

Had BYU had a regular week to prepare it could have been different 

But I don't want to chalk them up as a team that's only good because of their unique offensive scheme either otherwise they would be losing a bunch of games

But we've never lost to a triple option team as a D1 team either.  I was just acknowledging it requires significant gap discipline to defend it and then you have to forget everything you practiced 

Not many teams run the triple option 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Herdbot said:

All the good FCS schools keep moving up so eventually it will be watered down. D1AA used to be deep and had star power. Marshall, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Coastal Carolina, Liberty and now James Madison to the Sunbelt is pretty much a done deal. 

The top FCS teams are great but every year since 2011, a Missouri Valley Team had been in the National Championship because the playoff pool is weak. We even faced a conference foe in the Championship one year. Most Championship games occur in the playoffs when we face another MVFC team

That's why fans are itching to move up

I think realignment will basically "recreate" the FCS...and it will be even deeper, with all the teams that essentially "move down" as the true power programs circle the wagons and create even further separation from all of the have-nots.

Personally, as a fan I'm kind of looking forward to the day when the bulk of college football returns to amateur status! And the rest turns into NFL Jr.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

Nebraska doesn't have quite the local numbers and the B1G took them in.  If winning football was all that mattered, Maryland & Rutgers wouldn't be in the B1G after adding Nebraska.

The MWC, C-USA, and AAC have their schools in large metro areas and that is why people here do not see NDSU as a good fit for the MWC.  The MAC would be a more natural fit but they refused to let Youngstown State in when they were winning four national championships in the 1990's.  Why would they allow eight time NDSU in that case?

That is why I say NDSU's best hope to get to FBS is to have the MVFC go with them.

Maybe NDSU should go Indy, play an NMSU type schedule, a couple of body bag paydays, playing the same teams twice, filling out your schedule with the other G5 Indies. Whatever it takes.

See how you hold up. If you show a pulse, like Liberty, a Conference will come calling.

I wish your program well. They remind me of San Diego State in the 60's and 70's.  Albeit we went Indy in the early 70's leaving the PCAA behind, we still played the PCAA teams and 3-4 WAC teams until we got into the WAC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

I think realignment will basically "recreate" the FCS...and it will be even deeper, with all the teams that essentially "move down" as the true power programs circle the wagons and create even further separation from all of the have-nots.

Personally, as a fan I'm kind of looking forward to the day when the bulk of college football returns to amateur status! And the rest turns into NFL Jr.

If they go back to the way they did it in the 60s and 70s and just have big conferences vs small conferences,  that might be appealing too if they do a playoff. Back then it was the NCAA College Division and NCAA University division. 

Our National Championship teams in the 60s were in the College Division that included teams that are now the entire Mac conference and many G5 schools including San Diego State, Fresno, Hawaii, Marshall, Middle Tennessee State, Western Kentucky,  Arkansas State,  

It also had power houses like Parsons College, Northeastern, Susquehana, Ursinus Thiel, and Carnegie Melon lol

I couldn't imagine a scenario where G5 schools want to compete in the same division as FCS, D2 and D3. Most FCS schools would vomit at thought of D2 and D3 teams as well 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Well a few years ago, Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma st and I think Texas Tech were all within an hour of going to the Pac-12 at the time and word is Oklahoma St is still on Pac-12 radar when they expand. Just like Kansas and Big 10 appear to be feeling each other out as well. And West Virginia ran to the Big 12 but there have been second thoughts there for a bit

 

I think Big10 is kicking themselves at the Rutgers move.

No, they're not. The B1G Network is now in the NY Metro Market.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Maybe NDSU should go Indy, play an NMSU type schedule, a couple of body bag paydays, playing the same teams twice, filling out your schedule with the other G5 Indies. Whatever it takes.

See how you hold up. If you show a pulse, like Liberty, a Conference will come calling.

I wish your program well. They remind me of San Diego State in the 60's and 70's.  Albeit we went Indy in the early 70's leaving the PCAA behind, we still played the PCAA teams and 3-4 WAC teams until we got into the WAC.

If you cant compete for Bowl Games or Conference Championships, it wouldn't be enjoyable at all. What's your goal being an independent? It's not like we're BYU or Notre Dame with a big TV deal

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

If the PAC-12 loses members, who are the most likely adds? Hawaii, SDSU, Colorado State, and New Mexico?

Seems to be a popular discussion right now but since most people talking about it are on the east coast or in Texas, I would guess your choices are probably better than theirs.

New Mexico is lucky they aren't FCS or even division 2 at the point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

NDSU is your answer if you want a competitive team and a school/fanbase that is all in on football. It’s pretty much our only show in the state so everyone cares quite a bit! We bring 15,000-20,000 fans to Texas every time we make the championship game. We have nothing left to prove at the FCS so a lot of people are ready for the move up. Would be fun to have some new places to travel to! The Fargodome is right next to the airport so travel will be easy for opposing teams. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

If the PAC-12 loses members, who are the most likely adds? Hawaii, SDSU, Colorado State, and New Mexico?

Seems to be a popular discussion right now but since most people talking about it are on the east coast or in Texas, I would guess your choices are probably better than theirs.

I doubt CSU is going to the Pac12, but surely not while CU is in that conference. They’ve blocked us from joining their conference since the Skyline Conference days. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

If the PAC-12 loses members, who are the most likely adds? Hawaii, SDSU, Colorado State, and New Mexico?

Seems to be a popular discussion right now but since most people talking about it are on the east coast or in Texas, I would guess your choices are probably better than theirs.

Honestly I've always scratched my head at Hawaii not being the PAC.  Honolulu is a big city and travel would not be as terrible as say Texas

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Bizon said:

NDSU is your answer if you want a competitive team and a school/fanbase that is all in on football. It’s pretty much our only show in the state so everyone cares quite a bit! We bring 15,000-20,000 fans to Texas every time we make the championship game. We have nothing left to prove at the FCS so a lot of people are ready for the move up. Would be fun to have some new places to travel to! The Fargodome is right next to the airport so travel will be easy for opposing teams. 

There are no indications that the MW is looking to add at this time..

But I suspect that you are a sock just looking to troll..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BSUFiend said:

Honestly I've always scratched my head at Hawaii not being the PAC.  Honolulu is a big city and travel would not be as terrible as say Texas

The distance from Los Angeles to Honolulu is longer than the distance from Los Angeles to New York City.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, BSUFiend said:

Honestly I've always scratched my head at Hawaii not being the PAC.  Honolulu is a big city and travel would not be as terrible as say Texas

DFW is 900 miles closer to SF than Honolulu.

 

Now, if you are arguing location as opposed to distance, well, hard to argue that...

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, azinco said:

Because being in the central time zone is more valuable for the PAC than the Big 12 going to California to pick up a school most people have not heard of or unfamiliar outside PAC/MWC.

I'm sure you're correct that the Pac would benefit more from adding two schools from the central time zone than the B12 would benefit from adding two schools from California. Because there's so much HS football and basketball talent in and around Manhattan, Kansas and Lubbock, Texas in comparison to San Diego county and California's central valley. And I'm sure you're right that most people in the central time zone and east of there have never heard of San Diego State and Fresno State.

1/10 (simply for the effort)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...