Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 9/22/2021 at 1:42 PM, Bob said:

the most BYU thing ever. Straight embarrassing.

Don't tell Stunner, er Cowboy.

15 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

BYU couldn't even beat Coastal Carolina last year with a 1st round pick at QB. Coastal Carolina was NDSUs bitch when they were FCS and they play in a smaller stadium and moved up in 2017. Now they are ranked in the top 20. 

You played twice almost a decade ago.  Both in woodchipper land.  2014 game was a 7 pt game that you were losing late. 

Their stadium is bigger, although not by much.

Warned you about making stuff up as you went along.

On 9/22/2021 at 2:13 PM, Aslowhiteguy said:

If the academic stuff is true, they won't be going anywhere.  They will only consider R1 U's and no one ranked lower than WVU. 

That is just more reason to believe they will stick with 12.  Other than SDSU, there just aren't any obvious, P5 worthy, G5's. 

From what I've heard, it was SDSU's time zone that kept them from getting invited.  

If SDSU's time zone has kept it from being offered membership to the Big 12, one would think the time zone in which Kansas State, Okie State and the rest are situated will keep them from being offered membership to the Pac 12.

Well, the "ones" who actually "think" rather than talking out of their ass would think that.

44 minutes ago, Pelado said:

I learned something about NDSU just now.  Their contract through Learfield pays them an average of $2.19 million per year.  What I found most interesting was that in 2007, there was only one bidder for their TV contract:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/7027249-WDAY-TV-Forum-Communications-awarded-rights-to-televise-Bison-athletics

Plus a 2 million sign on deal. In 2007, we were only 2 years removed from Division 2, didn't have a real football conference and weren't playoff eligible for another 3 years since we were moving up. We didn't have a conference for the other D1 sports including basketball.

We get slightly less than Conference USA teams get now. 

3 hours ago, Herdbot said:

Check out Appalachian State and Georgia Southern after they moved up

Your post was going well and was humorous until this point.

The further up the food chain you go, the more important quality depth, size, and speed matter. At the FCS level, there is a huuuuuuuge shortage of those attributes. I know, I follow Weber St football. They're a pretty good, but those three attributes are missing when i go watch a game.

When you're schedule reads @Sparty, Boise, Nevada, @Wyoming, SUDS, @ Fresno. You're going to be pretty beat up halfway into that stretch. 

Even beating UNLV or CSU in that stretch will be a difficult W.

7 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Your post was going well and was humorous until this point.

The further up the food chain you go, the more important quality depth, size, and speed matter. At the FCS level, there is a huuuuuuuge shortage of those attributes. I know, I follow Weber St football. They're a pretty good, but those three attributes are missing when i go watch a game.

When you're schedule reads @Sparty, Boise, Nevada, @Wyoming, SUDS, @ Fresno. You're going to be pretty beat up halfway into that stretch. 

Even beating UNLV or CSU in that stretch will be a difficult W.

Colorado State can't even compete with NDSU or South Dakota State. Both games were beat downs.

We play a 15 or 16 game schedule right now in a physical league and only have 63 scholarships.  Give us 85 and we will be fine

The Mountain West isn't even a physical league. UNLV would be a bottom quarter Missouri Valley Team

Wyoming and Boise would be tough though 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

Colorado State can't even compete with NDSU or South Dakota State. Both games were beat downs.

We play a 15 or 16 game schedule right now in a physical league and only have 63 scholarships.  Give us 85 and we will be fine

The Mountain West isn't even a physical league. UNLV would be a bottom quarter Missouri Valley Team

The same guy who just got finished telling us what shitty teams NDSU has to play.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

If SDSU's time zone has kept it from being offered membership to the Big 12, one would think the time zone in which Kansas State, Okie State and the rest are situated will keep them from being offered membership to the Pac 12.

Well, the "ones" who actually "think" rather than talking out of their ass would think that.

Because being in the central time zone is more valuable for the PAC than the Big 12 going to California to pick up a school most people have not heard of or unfamiliar outside PAC/MWC.

28 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I don't think the PAC is adding any of those schools. 

They don't seem to be interested in expansion. Just open to the possibility.

Supposedly, some of the B12 leftovers have reached out to them to no avail. 

21 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

Would you be willing to pay the same travel subsidies Hawaii has to pay for a football only invitation ?

15 minutes ago, RSF said:

The same guy who just got finished telling us what shitty teams NDSU has to play.

The Missouri Valley teams are very good and physical and the top 10 FCS teams that make the playoffs play great football. But let's face it, national TV audiences don't care about most Missouri Valley Teams. And they really have no interest in broadcasting us beating down middle of the pack CAA teams in non conference play

Now good teams...

• Haha 1
48 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

BYU couldn't even beat Coastal Carolina last year with a 1st round pick at QB. Coastal Carolina was NDSUs bitch when they were FCS and they play in a smaller stadium and moved up in 2017. Now they are ranked in the top 20. 

Coastal Carolina has definitely proven themselves to be a pretty decent football team.  Much better than, say, Illinois State. 

Even with a 1st-round NFL draft pick at QB, NDSU was only able to defeat the mighty Redbirds 9-3, even though - unlike BYU - they had a full week to prepare for the game and didn't have to travel across the country.

19 minutes ago, azinco said:

Because being in the central time zone is more valuable for the PAC than the Big 12 going to California to pick up a school most people have not heard of or unfamiliar outside PAC/MWC.

Which PAC school is "unfamiliar" in B12 land?

37 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I don’t think there’s any doubt that the location in the central time zone hurt Oklahoma State and and KStates chances of joining the PAC 12. 

If schools with similar programs and markets were located in New Mexico or Idaho they probably would already be in the PAC 12. Utah and Colorado are probably less prestigious than Kansas but are actually located in the west.

Hell the PAC 12 had an opportunity to land Oklahoma. I guarantee if the they were located further west they would’ve been added without hesitation. Part of what makes the PAC 12 strong and stable is the geographic stability. Adding any schools in the central time zone would completely change the conference.

3 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

They were close to grabbing Houston and TCU. Supposed to of been a last minute decision to not do it and to wait to discuss their media deal and if they should add more markets. They might of messed up not doing it.

I heard that too. Not sure if I buy it.  They could have, and still can, take any B12, AAC or MW school they wish to add. 

4 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Would you be willing to pay the same travel subsidies Hawaii has to pay for a football only invitation ?

We are easier to get to than Laramie. Actually out airport is a 5 minute drive to the dome 

Boise to Fargo is 2 hours and 15 min

San Diego to Fargo is 3 hours and 15 min and that's the furthest  (not counting Hawaij of course)

2 minutes ago, Herdbot said:

We are easier to get to than Laramie. Actually out airport is a 5 minute drive to the dome 

Boise to Fargo is 2 hours and 15 min

San Diego to Fargo is 3 hours and 15 min and that's the furthest  (not counting Hawaij of course)

Yeah the travel besides Hawaii isn't bad at all if the Bison were to join. I'd love to see both Montanas and Dakota States in the MWC.

Granted I highly doubt any MWC teams leave in the first place and I think the only way this happens is if the MWC is severely gutted (again I feel highly unlikely)

15 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Coastal Carolina has definitely proven themselves to be a pretty decent football team.  Much better than, say, Illinois State. 

Even with a 1st-round NFL draft pick at QB, NDSU was only able to defeat the mighty Redbirds 9-3, even though - unlike BYU - they had a full week to prepare for the game and didn't have to travel across the country.

Illinois State is FCS and in our conference.  You can't compare a conference game to a non conference game.  We play them every year and that was the 2nd time we played them that year. The first we beat the. 37-3 at their stadium. 

Their running back was James Robinson who ran for 1070 yards for the Jacksonville Jaguars last year

Really good team,  just not a TV draw

• Haha 1