Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

Just now, AztecSU said:

look at the game counts. Boise has 3x whats Hawaii has...then there is what you just said, by default Boise has more games on national tv...the rest of us have much fewer but when we do it tend to be matchups that are favorable for a larger audience...so it actually makes sense a few schools would have a high avg. The key is when you isolate for specific scenarios, Boise will come out on top. 

Gotcha, thx for clarifying

1 minute ago, Spaztecs said:

Not in FB. 

Prior to the arrivals of Fisch and  Rocky Hoke, we were the doormats of the Conference in both sports. For decades.

As to the tv numbers you posted, i find those numbers surprising. I do recall hearing JD Wicker on the 2019 Hawaii pre-game show explaining why the Divisional Championship game was nit going to be on local tv. He said they had a station that wanted to broadcast rhe game, but they couldn't find an advertiser willing to put up the $12,500 fee to buy the broadcast rights from Hawa'ii's media partner. 

Not a Car Dealership or a bank. Not even SDCCU would pony up. One would think with an average audience of 973k, it would be a slam dunk.

We only have that average for national broadcasted games...a local broadcast was guaranteed to lose money...you know since it would only be scene in SoCal/San Diego most likely. 

20 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

I highly doubt that any current Big West member is reaching out to the MWC in earnest until all of this is resolved.  If  anything, I'd expect the leftover MWC members (especially Nevada) to be in contact with the Big West.  Because...

IF the MWC loses all four of Boise, SDSU, Air Force and CSU that makes the MWC much weaker in basketball and volleyball (the sports Hawaii cares about most).  The last thing they'd want - or Cal Poly or UC Davis - is to send every team, every year, to Wyoming and UNM in what's likely now a 1 bid hoops league.  Adding random Texas schools won't entice them either.

If the MW is gutted, I believe the Big West will take back at least two of the leftovers amongst Nevada, UNLV, USU, Fresno and SJSU. One of them being Nevada.  

I have zero connections.  This is all just a hunch, my attempt to read the room.

WAC 3.0 Baybee !

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

It's true that UH has been happy in the Big West, for two reasons.  One is obviously reduced travel.  Those trips to the Mountain and Central Time Zones back in the WAC days were expensive and tough on our athletes.  The other is that the Big West sponsors some niche sports important to UH that the MWC doesn't sponsor.

Specifically those sports are men's volleyball, beach volleyball and women's water polo.  Those are a big deal for UH because the Big West is a national powerhouse in all three sports and UH is one of the flagbearers for the conference in all three.  The UH men's volleyball team is the defending national champion; the UH beach volleyball team has won two of the past three Big West titles and made it to the national final four both times; and the UH women's water polo team is the defending Big West champion and a top five team nationally. 

Even so, basketball is the most important non-football sport and UH would love to be in the MWC for basketball.  Our arena (10,300 seats) and fan base (5,717 per game in 2020) are MWC-caliber.  Our performance is admittedly not great, as we haven't won a Big West title since 2016, but recruiting in low mid-major has been tough.  As a UH basketball fan for almost four decades I would be thrilled to see us playing San Diego State, UNLV, Fresno State, Nevada, New Mexico and Utah State again.

If AFA and CSU are in fact leaving that would alleviate some of the travel concern (on both sides).  I'm not sure if that would be enough to tip the balance but it could.  The UH niche sports could either stay in the Big West as affiliate members or move to alternative conferences (the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation sponsors men's volleyball and women's water polo and the WCC sponsors beach volleyball).

Would you still want to play those schools again if any of them returned to the Big West? :hmmm: Because if SDSU and Boise also go with the Flyboys, then some of those schools you mentioned will be contacting their old home.

5 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

WAC 3.0 Baybee !

Nothing says FBS like Dixie State (err, Utah Tech), Lamar, Incarnate Word, Southern Utah and company.  Yes, Chicago State is leaving after this year and Southern Utah comes aboard.  But that's a fugly, bloated map.

image.png.b36ef8b3ba90b679b99ffa7c5960a575.png

18 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Weird right? Here's my take. Adding AFA to the AAC creates additional value because the AFA/Navy game becomes a conference matchup. Plus I suspect more cadets come from the places the AAC plays then the MW. Now CSU, that's weirder, but I think they just want to play in a conference that's in Texas and more aligned with the central time zone. I'm guessing the AAC really wants AFA and are willing to bring CSU along as they have the right profile despite the lack of on field success. 

It's the mythical Denver market.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Would you still want to play those schools again if any of them returned to the Big West? :hmmm: Because if SDSU and Boise also go with the Flyboys, then some of those schools you mentioned will be contacting their old home.

I sure hope BSU does not.  Memphis/SMU/ECU/USF/Temple/Tulane/Navy/Tulsa..  the only team I could see BSU fans be interested in is Navy.  Compare that to all the teams in MWC, it's a no-brainer as far as what fans would be interested in watching on a Saturday.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, BSUFiend said:

I'm not trying to be a total homer, but the data doesn't make sense to me.  BSU is guaranteed ESPN slots, by default that's pretty high viewership.  How is Hawaii higher than that?  Most of their games are on third tier not available to mainland yeah?

The Islanders love them some football.

I also suspect there is a large Hawaiin diaspora out there.

4 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Of course.  And if any of them did return that would certainly weight the balance more heavily in favor of UH staying in the Big West (where it may still be weighted more heavily regardless; we don't know UH is actually talking to the MWC about a move).

2 minutes ago, BSUFiend said:

I sure hope BSU does not.  Memphis/SMU/ECU/USF/Temple/Tulane/Navy/Tulsa..  the only team I could see BSU fans be interested in is Navy.

From what the reporters on Sickem360 are saying, I don't think Boise will be playing those teams in the AAC or the Big 12.

3 minutes ago, BSUFiend said:

I sure hope BSU does not.  Memphis/SMU/ECU/USF/Temple/Tulane/Navy/Tulsa..  the only team I could see BSU fans be interested in is Navy.  Compare that to all the teams in MWC, it's a no-brainer as far as what fans would be interested in watching on a Saturday.

My post assumes the MW defectors go to the AAC as full members.  So that wouldn't concern Boise.

8 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Nothing says FBS like Dixie State (err, Utah Tech), Lamar, Incarnate Word, Southern Utah and company.  Yes, Chicago State is leaving after this year and Southern Utah comes aboard.  But that's a fugly, bloated map.

What's with the roadies to Seattle ?

wtf ?

These kinds of Conferences are what's killing 80% of the G5.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, lakesbison said:

The FCS effect, which you'd lose quickly if you weren't immediately if you aren't succesful moving up.  Lost in a crowd.  As an alpha dog in FCS you are a novelty, and will draw eyes because of it.

18 minutes ago, BSUFiend said:

I'm not trying to be a total homer, but the data doesn't make sense to me.  BSU is guaranteed ESPN slots, by default that's pretty high viewership.  How is Hawaii higher than that?  Most of their games are on third tier not available to mainland yeah?

I think the simple explanation is that the sample size is small and includes UH home games against Arizona, Oregon State and BYU. 

Central Time Zone is actually great for a TV contract. These late night Pacific time zone games are on so late, it hurts ratings since 

1 minute ago, lakesbison said:

ESPN2 Games don't draw as well as regular ESPN and none of those were in "prime time" hours. Also the Frisco National Championship games started at 11 AM. However they were the top rated sporting events in their time slots. Also NDSU Playoff Games are not promoted or advertised by ESPN. They only air them because they are contractually obligated. They spend all their marketing on Bowl Games because they pay for them. 

If you look at other FCS playoff  games, they draw 300K viewers.

One of the biggest advantages of NDSU is being in the central time zone. CBS Sports Network stands to make more money with games starting 2 hours earlier.

20 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Incarnate Word?  My guess is the WAC 3.0 is rated higher than Big West after this season.  Chicago State served a purpose.  It was a numbers game and they were needed until the Texas additions this year.  I am surprised they were able to stay afloat.  They had serious financial issues at the school.

35 minutes ago, lakesbison said:

These are all playoff games for the Bison that you are comparing against.

30 minutes ago, roughrider said:

The FCS effect, which you'd lose quickly if you weren't immediately if you aren't succesful moving up.  Lost in a crowd.  As an alpha dog in FCS you are a novelty, and will draw eyes because of it.

Not only that these are playoff game viewerships listed for NDSU.  The very thing that has made NDSU successful is what they will be giving up to come to the FBS.  Playoff success that drives recruiting, fan interest and relavance.  So come on over to the FBS Bison.  In a few years you're recruiting edge will be gone along with your post season relavance.

• Like 1