Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

6 minutes ago, Rambouche said:

Lol... In addition to postulating that Memphis and Boise are likely the next expansion targets, they are musing about PAC teams wanting to move to the Big 12... To the extent that online sports talk radio counts as journalism, I think this is National Enquirer level reporting.

Those guys are getting paid to say the same shit that is posted by random people on any sports message board. 

Lucky bastards.

• Cheers 2

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

3 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Those guys are getting paid to say the same shit that is posted by random people on any sports message board. 

Lucky bastards.

Yeah...but they have to live in Waco.  

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

8 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

If the AAC is able to get most of the Texas schools I can see the MWC entertaining the idea but in the end I think they would just take UTEP and NM State if they had to get to 10. North Dakota State is the only FCS close to us that is ready to make the jump and their AD has said he was gonna make calls to the G5. No idea what has became of that.

If we ever get to the point where adding FCS schools is necessary, I'd prefer the Montana schools.  I'd rather keep it regional.

• Like 3

Barack Obama

4 hours ago, DarkwingBronco said:

I keep wondering about UT and OU. Those guys use $100 bills for dinner napkins. The B12 exit fees (likely negotiated down) are a phone call to a major donor away. If they say “screw it” we’re going to play in the $EC in 2023 or even 2022, doesn’t that throw the B12 into chaos again possibly forcing another round of expansion?

Regarding BSU’s stalled stadium upgrades. I wouldn’t worry about it. The construction crews will be on site before the ink drys on a B12 contract. 

Why would that make any difference?  The AAC schools will go earlier and the Big 12 will help them with their exit fees from the UT-OU fund.

They don't have to expand unless they want to.

30 minutes ago, RSF said:

Of course it is.  But OUT will not simply walk away.  They will pay thru the nose to get out early.  That is already expected to happen.  No additional chaos.

There would or could be a bit of chaos. If B12 takes two more AAC… chaos. If B12 takes 2 MWC… chaos. If B12 takes one AAC and one MWC not much chaos. If they take no one…peace and quiet.

37 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

What indications are you speaking of?  All I've seen is speculation.

yup...

1 minute ago, Ibanez said:

Dennis Dodd not questionable is nonsense.

You said it...we didnt it...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

47 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

We can all agree over the last three seasons (Not counting Covid) the MWC has had really good seasons and have winning records against the PAC and AAC. The MWC needs to work on getting better bowl games. No reason to only have one vs a 5th or 6th best PAC-12 team. So I'm fine waiting on realignment news. I won't share anymore info.

Share away.  Speculation, and the arguments that follow, are fun. 

It doesn't matter what you post about it.  There will be people who agree and some who don't.

Expansion threads are always entertaining on this board.  You have always contributed and you're one of the people who are always digging into it. 

Don't stop.

• Like 3

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

Nothing on the MWC taking any FCS schools and no evidence that the MWC has entertained any non-football schools. Most of the same schools who have kept in touch with the MWC are not being considered. Gonzaga and St.Marys as a package is probably the only school or schools they would add. So no Summit League or WAC schools.

So, we're not rejoining our old mates here? Boo! :angry:

13 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

This is funny and sad at the same time. Zeigler (SDSU) and (Prater) had a 15 minute podcast today talking about Zeigler's interview with Hair and some of the other AD's and sources.

If the Mountain West added SMU and Memphis those two schools would not raise the value of the conference. Sorry @Did I hear a WOOSH?

Also, I'd CSU and Air Force leaves it doesn't hurt the value of the conference. Once again Woosh... Said he understands why AF would go but when asked different people about CSU they just shrugged.

Thinks Boise State and SDSU are working together. Not sure the Big 12 invite is coming because of constant changes happening every day.

Thompson basically said they could stay at 10  because there isn't anyone to add. Anyone else takes value from the conference.

Word is if Air Force and CSU leaves the MWC is still considered the top G5.

https://www.ktik.com/idaho-sports-talk-podcast/

So an Idaho talk show thinks these things? Ok.  

• Like 1

Ziegler actually has some insight on this stuff. He broke the Gonzaga stuff last time I believe.

• Like 1

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

36 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

This is funny and sad at the same time. Zeigler (SDSU) and (Prater) had a 15 minute podcast today talking about Zeigler's interview with Hair and some of the other AD's and sources.

If the Mountain West added SMU and Memphis those two schools would not raise the value of the conference. Sorry @Did I hear a WOOSH?

Also, if CSU and Air Force leaves it doesn't hurt the value of the conference. Once again Woosh... Said he understands why AF would go but when asked different people about CSU they just shrugged.

Thinks Boise State and SDSU are working together. Not sure the Big 12 invite is coming because of constant changes happening every day.

Thompson basically said they could stay at 10  because there isn't anyone to add. Anyone else takes value from the conference.

Word is if Air Force and CSU leaves the MWC is still considered the top G5.

https://www.ktik.com/idaho-sports-talk-podcast/

I have it on good authority that Fresno is working with SDSU and Boise and we'll definitely stay at 10.

• Like 1

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

4 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

I listened to the whole podcast.  Interesting stuff from people who regularly talk to a lot of ADs and conference officials.  Regarding their comments on the MWC's situation, two things stood out to me.

First, the option of standing pat if/when AFA and CSU leave wasn't even discussed.  They just assume that the conference will look for backfill schools.

Second, in addition to the obvious strategy of targeting Texas schools to backfill the openings, they said an alternative strategy for the MWC could be to go north and target North Dakota State, Montana and Montana State.  If the MWC is considering that at all, even as just a fallback if for some reason the conference doesn't have good prospects in Texas, it would explain why Omaha has surfaced as a potential non-football addition: they would provide a good travel partner if NDSU came in as an all-sports member.

I know most of us -- including myself -- have a tendency to immediately disregard the possibility of the MWC adding FCS schools since that would be perceived nationally as a weak response to being poached.  But the point made in the podcast is that these programs are among the best in the FCS and have dedicated and sizable fan bases.  And they play pretty good football.

Going north also has some appeal geographically.  Let's assume AFA and CSU leave for the AAC and soon after BSU gets cherry-picked by the Big 12.  That leaves USU, Wyoming and UNM in the eastern division.  To rebuild that division, you can go south to Texas which will make both USU and Wyoming outliers.  Or you can north which makes UNM a single outlier.  I won't type out a long list of distances but if you check the data (or just look at a map) you'll find that Laramie is closer to Missoula, Bozeman, Fargo and Omaha than to any CUSA or Sun Belt school in Texas.  Even from Salt Lake City it's a shorter distance to those four destinations than to any CUSA or Sun Belt school in Texas except UTEP.

I'm not saying that going north is the better strategy.  But it would make sense for the MWC to at least be talking to schools like NDSU, Montana, Montana State and Omaha in the event that the best remaining prospects in Texas say they aren't interested in coming.

+++++ it, let's just get Chadron State and Carroll College.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Fine...  Three weeks. Or not, who cares.

I'll admit, I'm new here.  I've only started posting since the OU/T thing happened.  (and this is not directed at anyone in particular, including you)

However, what I have noticed is that lots of people say lots of things about what is happening in regards to conference realignment around here.  Some of it is contradictory and all is pretty much speculation which is supported by some blogger's speculation. 

Only two things have actually happened...OU/T to SEC and 4 teams (none named Boise, SDSU, or anyone else from the MW) have back filled in the nB12

That's what a fan board is for I suppose but Ive found no one here actually knows what will happen but many want to sound like they do.

• Cheers 4