Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 12/5/2023 at 8:34 AM, Wyobraska said:

If the NCAA creates a new subdivision, that will be the next move of realignment.  

Maybe. If it does, it's probably only going to be the top 60 teams? They will figure out a way to squeeze the G5's out of it.

On 12/5/2023 at 9:37 AM, spc_ops said:

Maybe. If it does, it's probably only going to be the top 60 teams? They will figure out a way to squeeze the G5's out of it.

Yes they are.  You'll have to have a lot of money to join the new subdivision.  

https://apnews.com/article/ncaa-baker-nil-c26542c528df277385fea7167026dbe6#:~:text=LAS VEGAS (AP) — NCAA,them through a trust fund.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/5/2023 at 8:47 AM, Wyobraska said:

College playoff expansion must lead to more inclusivity and not less...

And any top tier NCAA division must be done on a school by school basis, not by conferences...otherwise worthy schools will be left out, and undeserving schools will be allowed in. 

The promise of a college football championship has never been equally distributed, and they want to make it worse and more exclusionary, all the while maxing profits for them by increasing exposure only to them?

I'm tired of the online back and forth with these people. File a motion to council and force them into the right decision in front of a court. Disband the NCAA, is it not under federal control? Where is the dept of education on this?

They aren't leaving programs and people out because they want more money for them, over a stupid game.

I'm concerned about critical funding that would be lost by this.

The witch hunt is real with these people.

We need a money cap in sports. 

They can play their game in sportscrypto and at the end of every year their salaries will be pro rated into real life money. 

I'm tired of people getting paid millions to throw a ball, others getting paid millions to tell them how to do that, and meanwhile real life people with goals that are more important than "catch" have to fight and kowtow or die for the chance at exposure and associated funding. 

It's just a witch hunt at this point and if they want a fight, it's already started. I'm 33, I'm about to retire some of these old folks. 65 is retirement. Go home to your farm or see me in your stadiums and us in your offices.

They will not be allowed to not do the right thing and it really is that simple.

We live in a society. 

Go test that. 

• Haha 1
  • WTF 1

It needs to be pushed up the courts if it is passed. 

It's a lawsuit.

Obviously. 

They'll try something stupid around Christmas but a lawsuit needs to filed the first Monday of 2024.

Stupid people as usual, go retire old folk we don't want you anymore

And back to their farms they'll go.

Anticipate around Christmas is when they'll make their bad announcements and they'll hope 2024 brings with it forgiveness and forgetfulness. 

It won't

Which judge is most appropriate to hear this in upper courts because I'm going to have to start buying space in his local newspaper and chastising the heck out of all you greedy and selfish....

It's a witch hunt.

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2023 at 9:47 AM, Wyobraska said:

If they make the cutoff $100M, that is essentially the P4 schools.  Do it and be done with it already.  No way they are taking 80+ schools to this new level.  Greed is greed and they will want to keep as much money as possible with the biggest programs.  But for argument sake, if 80 schools could afford it, that leaves 53 of the G5 schools.  Close enough.  I think it will be closer to a 50/50 split of the current 133 FBS programs.  That means most of MWC, CUSA, Sun Belt, teams that NMSU plays on a regular basis, will stay at the same level.  Fine by me.

Baker noted that athletic budgets in Division I range from $5 million and $250 million annually, with 59 schools spending over $100 million annually and another 32 spending over $50 million. He said 259 Division I schools, however, spend less than $50 million on their athletic programs.

On 12/5/2023 at 9:33 AM, alum93 said:

If they make the cutoff $100M, that is essentially the P4 schools.  Do it and be done with it already.  No way they are taking 80+ schools to this new level.  Greed is greed and they will want to keep as much money as possible with the biggest programs.

Baker noted that athletic budgets in Division I range from $5 million and $250 million annually, with 59 schools spending over $100 million annually and another 32 spending over $50 million. He said 259 Division I schools, however, spend less than $50 million on their athletic programs.

The idea was mine lol, NFL affiliated teams, break the rules then and athletes that sign with the pac 2 and non div 1 programs can sign contracts with the NFL day 1

If the NCAA want to be exclusionary, then those not affiliated with their D1 aren't beholden to their rules. 

And I'd say that student athletes that want to be entered into the NFL drafted after 1 year of college is fine by me.

The real thing is, why are they being exclusionary to the tune of just 2 schools...like, literally nothing changes for anyone else except wsu and OSU. 

It's a witch hunt.

Princess, I'm not stupid. 

So if you want to talk, just talk.

Or just kill me then, tf

No need to kill my school and OSU with it lol.

Just a power trip and I'm tired of communicating with these people as if they don't exist. 

On 12/5/2023 at 10:33 AM, alum93 said:

If they make the cutoff $100M, that is essentially the P4 schools.  Do it and be done with it already.  No way they are taking 80+ schools to this new level.  Greed is greed and they will want to keep as much money as possible with the biggest programs.  But for argument sake, if 80 schools could afford it, that leaves 53 of the G5 schools.  Close enough.  I think it will be close to a 50/50 split of the current 133 FBS programs.  That means most of MWC, CUSA, Sun Belt, teams that NMSU plays on a regular basis, will stay at the same level.  Fine by me.

The problem with $100 million is that can all of those schools that already spend that afford more to pay student athletes directly? P4 can. 

I know for a lot of programs finding an extra $10-$20 million per year would be a lot.  

Wyoming, for instance would have to pay around $8 million per year more if the $30k per athlete for at least half of the athletes rule went into effect.  That's a big number.  

I also see a challenge to only half of the athletes getting money.  

It is time for a split to occur honestly.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 10:37 AM, OzzyOzz said:

The idea was mine lol, NFL affiliated teams, break the rules then and athletes that sign with the pac 2 and non div 1 programs can sign contracts with the NFL day 1

If the NCAA want to exclusionary, then those not affiliated with their D1 aren't beholden to their rules. 

And I'd say that student athletes that want to be entered into the NFL drafted after 1 year of college is fine by me.

We've been discussing a formal break with power conferences for years on this forum.  The writing has been on the wall, and NIL and instant transfer and play is accelerating it.  It's just a matter of time before they announce minimum athletic budgets.  I'd say it will be done within 3-5 years.  I think a G5 playoff that lets 12-16 teams in will be way more fun anyway then 11 P4 teams and 1 G5 team.  

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 10:40 AM, Wyobraska said:

The problem with $100 million is that can all of those schools that already spend that afford more to pay student athletes directly?

I know for a lot of programs finding an extra $10-$20 million per year would be a lot.  

Wyoming, for instance would have to pay around $8 million per year more if the $30k per athlete for at least half of the athletes rule went into effect.  That's a big number.  

I also see a challenge to only half of the athletes getting money.  

Honestly, i think very few G5 schools will have to worry about the new level and budget requirements.  If they wanted to ruin college sports, they certainly came up with a good plan.  Pay athletes with little to no oversight, let them transfer and play anywhere else the next season, and then create mega conferences that ruin rivalries.  All in the name of greed.  Lovely...

• Like 2

On 12/5/2023 at 9:41 AM, alum93 said:

We've been discussing a formal break with power conferences for years on this forum.  The writing has been on the wall, and NIL and instant transfer and play is accelerating it.  It's just a matter of time before they announce minimum athletic budgets.  I'd say it will be done within 3-5 years.  I think a G5 playoff that lets 12-16 teams in will be way more fun anyway then 11 P4 teams and 1 G5 team.  

Like I said, the only 2 schools affected by any of this then will be the pac 2.

A witch hunt for power. 

It's an unethical thing to do, especially because it's all about the egos of the people behind it.

They wanted WSU/OSU out and they are finding ways to get it.

Why WSU and OSU especially? 

I feel like I should apologize for going to WSU because they don't deserve what's happening to them either.

On 12/5/2023 at 10:46 AM, OzzyOzz said:

Like I said, the only 2 schools affected by any of this then will be the pac 2.

A witch hunt for power. 

It's an unethical thing to do, especially because it's all about the egos of the people behind it.

They wanted WSU/OSU out and they are finding ways to get it.

Why WSU and OSU especially? 

I feel like I should apologize for going to WSU because they don't deserve what's happening to them either.

Dude, the big boys don't care about WSU and OSU.  This is about big money and huge markets and separating from most of G5, including WSU/OSU.  Your school will be just one of 60-70 left on the outside looking in, including most if not all of the MWC.  

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 9:41 AM, alum93 said:

Like I said, if it goes this route, I hope the Pac2 allow its freshmen and even walk ons to get a chance at the NFL draft if able, immediately, even as 17 year old red shirt walk on freshmen. 

Private contracts, specialized training, and immediate access to the NFL and its backroom. 

I mean, why else would a football player ever go to wsu then 

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2023 at 11:49 AM, OzzyOzz said:

Like I said, if it goes this route, I hope the Pac2 allow its freshmen and even walk ons get a chance at the NFL draft if able, immediately, even as 17 year old red shirt walk on freshmen. 

That would require the NFL changing its rules on draft eligibility.  Has nothing to do with the NCAA or any individual conference or school.

Sorry to interrupt.  Continue ranting.

• Like 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 12/5/2023 at 9:48 AM, alum93 said:

Dude, the big boys don't care about WSU and OSU.  This is about big money and huge markets and separating from most of G5, including WSU/OSU.  Your school will be just one of 60-70 left on the outside looking in, including most if not all of the MWC.  

The big boys, like I said, will be retired. This is a society. And these are public trust and publicly funded institutions. 

Stop belittling people as if they are incapable. If I fight a war, it's not about their money. 

If that's what makes them big, they die small deaths then...because they can't take it where they are going. This is more than about money..

And also, shame on you, for bowing down to their anti competitiveness unequal profit seeking mindsets. Especially since it is in direct opposition to the interests of your university.

I can't respect you as many of you honestly just want to give up..

Especially since the playoffs literally just expanded. 

You are worthy of disrespect. 

On 12/5/2023 at 9:51 AM, RSF said:

That would require the NFL changing its rules on draft eligibility.  Has nothing to do with the NCAA or any individual conference or school.

Sorry to interrupt.  Continue ranting.

So they really decided to kill off a whole university, and another, because of a power trip?

It's all just a power move, obviously. Those and them, they're going to hate me at WSU because that's the only reason why really..

If you want to call out facts.

Or maybe just a rant.

On 12/5/2023 at 8:34 AM, Wyobraska said:

If the NCAA creates a new subdivision, that will be the next move of realignment.  

I'm not sure it will be the NCAA. The new subdivision will basically be created by ESPN and FoxSports and I doubt they give a damn about pleasing the NCAA. (CBS does but their interest is in MM.) From what I can tell, the B1G and the SEC also don't much care about the NCAA so I can see them partnering with ESPN and Fox to create an entirely new governing entity for their football. One they view not as an impediment but as something they can control.

On 12/5/2023 at 11:59 AM, OzzyOzz said:

So they really decided to kill off a whole university, and another, because of a power trip?

It's all just a power move, obviously. Malia and them, they're going to hate me at WSU because that's the only reason why really..

If you want to call out facts.

Or maybe just a rant.

I just gave you a fact.  And it resulted in another rant.  That's your issue.

BTW...you think yours is the 1st school to get 'left behind'?  Grow up.

Hitch up your pants and get to work.  Whining never got anybody anywhere.

• Like 1

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

The thing that trips me out is that you all are so useless that you just willingly give in to them. 

Hopefully wsu defunds football or whatever, no need to compete against trash competition that doesn't know to or care to want to get better.

The MWC is full of loser mindsets that's for sure...doubt it will be fun without the promise of a natty involved..

• Haha 1
  • Super-Mega Idiot 1

On 12/5/2023 at 12:01 PM, OzzyOzz said:

Hopefully wsu defunds football or whatever, no need to compete against trash competition that doesn't know to or care to want to get better.

Yeah...because that's not giving up in the least.

• Like 3