Jump to content
Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

Recommended Posts

On 11/28/2023 at 7:50 PM, Headbutt said:

Well, for now, CBS and FOX are thinking that the addition of WSU/OSU to our schedule is worth $14 million for one year's worth of FB games, BB not considered yet.  According to media reports of course.  I'd call that an indicator that they could participate in changing our fortunes.  Yeah, we'll still be G5, but it is starting to look like a wealthier G5.

 

Wealthier midgets 

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2023 at 3:58 PM, Spaztecs said:

The so called lower end Schools, while probably not getting a game, will at least get a $1.2 mil. check. It helps the AD budget. It may not be P5 money, bit it helps.

Everybody's getting a game.  6 games for OSU, 6 for WSU.

  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

COLORADO SPRINGS, Co. – The Mountain West Conference announced today a football scheduling agreement for the 2024 season between the Mountain West, Oregon State University, Washington State University, and the Pac-12 Conference.

Next season, all 12 MW teams will play seven traditional Conference football games in addition to one contest against either Washington State or Oregon State for a total of eight games (four home and four away). The games against OSU and WSU will not count toward the conference standings, and neither Pac-12 school is eligible for the MW championship game. The Mountain West is currently working on the football schedule and will release matchups soon.

“This is a unique and unprecedented opportunity for Oregon State and Washington State to play against highly competitive Mountain West football programs in 2024,” said MW Commissioner Gloria Nevarez. “The scheduling agreement will expand the Mountain West footprint and enhance our national brand, while providing our student-athletes with new opportunities, all in line with our strategic priorities. The scheduling agreement strengthens the league’s non-conference schedules, and we look forward to having Oregon State and Washington State be a part of the 2024 slate.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2023 at 1:28 PM, tahoe84 said:

Can someone explain to the Beavers that the MW exit fees don’t just simply go away in 2026???

 

https://247sports.com/college/oregon-state/board/102430/Contents/mwc-perspectives-221869350/?page=2

wonder where the origins to the notion that the MW does not have an exit fee after 2026 came from.

In the bylaws, its pretty much.,..

Over 1 Year Notice (pre-June 30th) = 3x the Prior Year Average Revenue Distribution to Members

Under 1 Year Notice (post-June 30th)= 6x the Prior Year Average Revenue Distribution to Members

None of it is only related to the revenue provided by media deals. As well as the conference would need to have a full athletic season during the 2026-2027 timeframe of no media right deals in place for it to be reduced to a small amount. If MW members left on June 29th 2026, they'd still be basing the exit fees on the prior year's conference distributions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2023 at 7:47 PM, An Admirer from the East said:

Your scenario may happen. They definitely get a lifeline for 2024. The article says there is an option to extend to 2025....not guaranteed. Will be interesting to see how it plays out!

 

You have to understand that Rebel Robert hasn’t been right at predicting anything in the many many years he’s been here. And that’s not smack or an exaggeration. 

kat.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2023 at 3:28 PM, tahoe84 said:

Can someone explain to the Beavers that the MW exit fees don’t just simply go away in 2026???

 

https://247sports.com/college/oregon-state/board/102430/Contents/mwc-perspectives-221869350/?page=2

I mean fans are gonna fan and speculate. OSU/WSU probably want to wait until the MWC rights are on the open market before a merge, rather than try to renegotiate now with less leverage while the MWC is still under contract. The schools themselves know the exit fee situation isn’t changing, and that’s all that really matters.

Also the independence short term gives them an opportunity to get an idea of the value of a Pac-MWC merge. I’m sure they will use this as an opportunity to see what the money would look like with a BoR conference as well. Of course this has to make people a little nervous, but I am pretty confident the money will just not be there to do that, and a full merge will ultimately be the move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:
 

COLORADO SPRINGS, Co. – The Mountain West Conference announced today a football scheduling agreement for the 2024 season between the Mountain West, Oregon State University, Washington State University, and the Pac-12 Conference.

Next season, all 12 MW teams will play seven traditional Conference football games in addition to one contest against either Washington State or Oregon State for a total of eight games (four home and four away). The games against OSU and WSU will not count toward the conference standings, and neither Pac-12 school is eligible for the MW championship game. The Mountain West is currently working on the football schedule and will release matchups soon.

“This is a unique and unprecedented opportunity for Oregon State and Washington State to play against highly competitive Mountain West football programs in 2024,” said MW Commissioner Gloria Nevarez. “The scheduling agreement will expand the Mountain West footprint and enhance our national brand, while providing our student-athletes with new opportunities, all in line with our strategic priorities. The scheduling agreement strengthens the league’s non-conference schedules, and we look forward to having Oregon State and Washington State be a part of the 2024 slate.”

Part of the 2024 slate, huh?  What about going forward?  That's the issue. jmo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2023 at 4:35 PM, SalinasSpartan said:

I mean fans are gonna fan and speculate. OSU/WSU probably want to wait until the MWC rights are on the open market before a merge, rather than try to renegotiate now with less leverage while the MWC is still under contract. The schools themselves know the exit fee situation isn’t changing, and that’s all that really matters.

Also the independence short term gives them an opportunity to get an idea of the value of a Pac-MWC merge. I’m sure they will use this as an opportunity to see what the money would look like with a BoR conference as well. Of course this has to make people a little nervous, but I am pretty confident the money will just not be there to do that, and a full merge will ultimately be the move.

I think so, as well. I also read that Brennan is going to be making $2 mil by 2026, something like that. That’s great and mind blowing to see SJSU take salaries so seriously. Now they need to add 8,000 seats above their student pill box bunker and pay students to come cheer at games.

kat.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2023 at 1:50 PM, Spaztecs said:

Nope.

Glo got the best deal she could. If she refused, the Pac Boys would simply schedule their chosen MW Schools without the $14 mil payoff.

The bottom end of the Conference would have received zippo.

There is also a mens and womens basketball scheduling agreement coming in the next few weeks. Without payouts. Better to a have a Pac2 squad on your schedule than a quad 3 or 4 game agianst a  directional School.

that's not true or possible

without the conference making the schedule, how would any MWC teams have fit games into October and November? maybe they could have squeezed in a game or two on bye weeks but even those couldn't be scheduled until the conference schedule was finalized

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2023 at 4:53 PM, Nevada Convert said:

I think so, as well. I also read that Brennan is going to be making $2 mil by 2026, something like that. That’s great and mind blowing to see SJSU take salaries so seriously. Now they need to add 8,000 seats above their student pill box bumper and pay students to come cheer at games.

Yea the SJSU athletic department is doing a pretty good job as a whole right now, except when it comes to designing buildings. It’ll be nice to see that improvement “rewarded”, in a way, if this merge happens. 
 

But if it doesn’t, o well. Then we will just chug along with the rest of the schools left behind and join up with some schools from Texas and some old friends like NMSU and UTEP.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2023 at 6:26 PM, renoskier said:

that's not true or possible

without the conference making the schedule, how would any MWC teams have fit games into October and November? maybe they could have squeezed in a game or two on bye weeks but even those couldn't be scheduled until the conference schedule was finalized

CSU would have probably been happy to rearrange our OOC to accommodate a home and home with OSU, during September.  Most of the teams in the conference would have been willing to do the same.  In September.  Can't play 'em all in September.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2023 at 9:15 PM, lobo-tomy said:

It feels like this thread has reached on unholy milestone. Perhaps this scheduling agreement will be the end of the MW.

Screenshot_20231201_211132_DuckDuckGo.jpg.6f45b124ecddab45d702d2d68a0350a5.jpg

I feel worst case the MWC will just look a bit different then it does now or more likely a full merger will happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2023 at 5:26 PM, renoskier said:

that's not true or possible

without the conference making the schedule, how would any MWC teams have fit games into October and November? maybe they could have squeezed in a game or two on bye weeks but even those couldn't be scheduled until the conference schedule was finalized

There’s no conference rule as to when a conference school can or cannot schedule OOC games. Just look at the games BYU has played against Boise and USU. there were many in October and November.  The MW schools make their OOC schedule and the MWC then schedules conference games around the OOC schedule.

SDSU had already had Wazzu in our 2024 OOC schedule for many years but we just dumped our FCS opponent to schedule Oregon St next year OOC date TBD.  I suppose that game will be the one SDSU game against OSU/WSU that counts as a conference game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2023 at 11:33 PM, Fowl said:

There’s no conference rule as to when a conference school can or cannot schedule OOC games. Just look at the games BYU has played against Boise and USU. there were many in October and November.  The MW schools make their OOC schedule and the MWC then schedules conference games around the OOC schedule.

SDSU had already had Wazzu in our 2024 OOC schedule for many years but we just dumped our FCS opponent to schedule Oregon St next year OOC date TBD.  I suppose that game will be the one SDSU game against OSU/WSU that counts as a conference game. 

Yeah, you can play OOC games whenever you want. 

kat.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/2/2023 at 2:00 AM, Nevada Convert said:

Yeah, you can play OOC games whenever you want. 

Yes, and no.  If you want to play an OOC during regular conference play, the conference attempts to accommodate.  It does take some advance notice and planning though.  BTW, every one of these WSU/OSU games will be OOC games.  They are in a different conference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/2/2023 at 1:38 AM, Headbutt said:

Yes, and no.  If you want to play an OOC during regular conference play, the conference attempts to accommodate.  It does take some advance notice and planning though.  BTW, every one of these WSU/OSU games will be OOC games.  They are in a different conference.

That’s true, you certainly have to give them advance notice, but it’s almost certain you’ll get it. Hawaii used to have P5 home games as the last couple games of the season. 

kat.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aren't the exit fees more or less covered by the the pac's trust money in that in 2 years public funds will be distributed, or recentralized, to a newly reconstituted public trust..but the money is all the same really..

I mean, there are worse problems to have and I doubt the Pac2+MWC+/- new trust will self sabotage.

I mean, if the penalty is steep for only 10 schools, but they get to retain all power conference privileges and status..in the NCAA, CFB, and in the media..then that is what they will do I think..

I think that since Army+Navy+AF is off the table, that it should be a West Coast based league that caters to the families of student athletes the best..

Slow and steady..

How long will playoffs remain at 12? Because when it changes to 16, it will kick off a new wave of realignment...

Now, over the next 2 years..the MWC+Pac is likely going to get 1.5 bids, half a bid will go to the rest, and 2 bids each for the other P5. 

That's the fairest ratio..its actually the only ratio that makes any sense..

They already will assume control of 10 bids..honestly, they should get 9.5 bids, the Pac2+mwc get 1.5 bids, and 1 full bid for the best of the rest. 

Either way, football expansion will lead to more inclusivity in football, not less, and a judge would confirm that anytime.

So once the MWC+Pac gets its 1.5 bids assured, the cfb can figure out the rest without us...they hardly know what they are doing anyway..it's a mess for them lol..

What it means is that the MWC+Pac will always have 1 team in the cfp, and might have 2. Basically, our 2nd cfp team would have to play 1 extra game to get in, or something, and the battle for recruits starts again.

WSU for example pretty much needs to get out of Cali because it can't really compete there now for example..

I just want a natty and it's closer than you think..

I'd be sicker than a dog, good luck though I'm a coug lucky us right

  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Recently Browsing   1 member




×
×
  • Create New...