Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

A tweet from the Houston AD. It is time.

Cougars fight for Dear ol' UofH

For our alma mater cheer

Fight for Houston University

For victory is near

When the going get so rough and tough

We never worry, CAUSE WE GOT THE STUFF!

So fight! Fight! Fight for Red and White!

And we will go to victory!

The Big 12 Conference Board of Directors this morning voted to extend membership invitations to Brigham Young University, the University of Central Florida, the University of Cincinnati, and the University of Houston to join the Conference.

Today’s actions were in accordance with Big 12 Conference Bylaw 1.5.2.b.3 requiring an affirmative vote of a supermajority of Directors, and was approved unanimously by the eight continuing members.

As necessary, institutional Boards will be in session today to act on Big 12 Conference membership. Videoconference announcements with Big 12 Board of Directors Chairman and Texas Tech University President Lawrence Schovanec, Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby, and campus representatives are scheduled today at the following times:

Houston – 11:00 a.m. CT
BYU – 11:30 a.m. CT
UCF – 2:45 p.m. CT
Cincinnati – 3:30 p.m. CT

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

This is actually funny...a cheeky reference to the 2016 non-expansion....

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

And the  basketball coaches of the Big 12 are having fun with all this.

https://theathletic.com/2814450/2021/09/10/the-additions-of-houston-cincinnati-byu-and-ucf-could-keep-big-12-basketball-elite/

It has been a mixture of nerves and uncertainty for the remaining eight Big 12 men’s basketball coaches as they awaited the future for their schools when it comes to conference affiliation. They all know that basketball plays second fiddle to football. Whatever moves their schools or the league made were going to be football-based, but that didn’t keep them from worrying what would happen to what consistently has been one of the best basketball leagues in the sport.

With the expected additions of BYU, Houston, Cincinnati and Central Florida, they now have their answer. And the consensus: “This is good for both,” one of the remaining eight coaches said. “Because it literally it could be a situation where it’s just good for football, and then now you take the top conference in basketball and give that away to get a better football league. The beauty of this is you don’t have to.”

Those coaches also collectively are throwing some shade at Texas and Oklahoma on their way out.

“Neither one of those has won a championship since when?” one coach asked. Texas did win the conference tournament this year, but its last regular season title was in 2008 — shared with Kansas. The Sooners haven’t won the conference since 2005 when the coach, coincidentally, was Houston’s Kelvin Sampson.

Another coach pointed out that UCF won a tournament game in 2019, Cincinnati won one in 2018 and Houston is coming off a Final Four.

“All of them have done something Texas hasn’t done in the last seven years,” he said, meaning win a NCAA Tournament game.

Any school can be a target.

But if you dont have much ammo, hitting the target is more difficult.

While I don't personally believe the newer rumors of the B12 considering SMU/BSU (or possibly USF) for future invites, if that were to come to pass you would think the best option for the AAC and the MWC would be some type of merger at that point.

If a number of individual teams from both conferences could hold the proverbial Airport Meeting, there's the possibility that a decent conference could be created and at least come close to similar compensation ($3-$4 million range) by dropping the bottom programs. 

I don't think either conference can pull a team away from the other currently and neither has much interest in any CUSA or Sunbelt programs IMHO (and I think the AAC would be a better home for any program from either CUSA or Sunbelt, the MWC would have to pick up from Big Sky or the WAC?).

50 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I was hoping they would use their bowl win to get football rolling...

There has been zero movement in MWC and CUSA.  Where exactly is there to go for NMSU?  The WAC was stabilized last year with expansion into Texas for oly sports,  so there is no pressure there.  I guess we'll see how the AAC responds to losing multiple teams, but it's possible at the G5 level there will be very little movement unless the big boys make more changes.  

3 minutes ago, alum93 said:

There has been zero movement in MWC and CUSA.  Where exactly is there to go for NMSU?  The WAC was stabilized last year with expansion into Texas for oly sports,  so there is no pressure there.  I guess we'll see how the AAC responds to losing multiple teams, but it's possible at the G5 level there will be very little movement unless the big boys make more changes.  

no, I don't mean they belong in the AAC or MWC...I would simply have liked to see them become a regular 5-7 win program that goes to low level bowls.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

19 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

no, I don't mean they belong in the AAC or MWC...I would simply have liked to see them become a regular 5-7 win program that goes to low level bowls.

I take a simpler view i guess.  I'm glad we play FBS games against mostly MWC and CUSA schools.  The other option after 2017 was to go the way Idaho did and play in the Big Sky.  The WAC looked a little shaky, but is now as stable as it has been in a long time with the addition of the Texas and Utah schools.  I can't predict too far out, but indy FBS football schedules out thru 2026 look great.  It will be interesting to see if there is movement in the MWC and CUSA.  For now, not worried about it. 

I think the real changes that are going to affect all 130 schools will be IF and  when P5 separates.  Right now there are 65 P5 and 65 G5.  Once that happens, in whatever form it takes in final power conference numbers, then we'll see what opportunities are out there, if any.  

Lol, i forgot to update P5 and G5 numbers for changes this week.  Congrats to BYU and the others for making the cut.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, azgreg said:

Bowlsby is basically saying, "Yeah...no."

While it's a big stretch, with the now weaker B12 and the struggles of the PAC, a Best of the Rest from the G5 with decent population centers might be somewhat of a threat to those two conferences over time.

Something like:

SMU, Memphis, USF, Temple (?)

Boise State, San Diego State, Fresno, CSU

and others that make sense? Hawaii? UNLV? UNM? Other AAC teams? Service academies?

As I've said, while travel would be an issue, a multiple Time Zone conference provides more non-overlapping inventory of games for the same price!

Of course, the response would be for the B12 and/or the Pac to simply raid the ones that rise to the top, but it seems like now is definitely the time for some of the better G5 programs to either get together or suffer the financial consequences.

If we listened to all the internet scuttlebutt of the past few weeks, then the following would have happened.  And yes, every one of these had some 'smoke'.

West Virginia headed to the ACC.

Iowa State and Kansas to the Big 10.

Or Oklahoma State.

Oklahoma State and Texas Tech to the Pac 12.

And TCU.

Or Baylor.

Or Kansas.

Notre Dame to the Big 10.

Or the ACC.

Clemson and Florida State to the SEC.

Or Ohio State.

So you'll forgive me if I take Pete from YouTube, Bob from Boise, or a couple yahoos from East Texas with an enormous grain of salt regarding any moves, present or future.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RSF said:

If we listened to all the internet scuttlebutt of the past few weeks, then the following would have happened.  And yes, every one of these had some 'smoke'.

West Virginia headed to the ACC.

Iowa State and Kansas to the Big 10.

Or Oklahoma State.

Oklahoma State and Texas Tech to the Pac 12.

And TCU.

Or Baylor.

Or Kansas.

Notre Dame to the Big 10.

Or the ACC.

Clemson and Florida State to the SEC.

Or Ohio State.

So you'll forgive me if I take Pete from YouTube, Bob from Boise, or a couple yahoos from East Texas with an enormous grain of salt regarding any moves, present or future.

This might be the most factual and reasonable post on the thread.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama