Jump to content
Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

If Big-12 dissolves Texas Tech to MWC is likely.

Having to travel there would be worse than Wyoming though. Imagine if we get Kansas State also, another dud.

Lubbock isn’t all that bad. It’s not great, but there are definitely worse places. Fresneck comes to mind. And everyone hating on Laramie are fools. I love that little city. 

  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sean327 said:

Lubbock isn’t all that bad. It’s not great, but there are definitely worse places. Fresneck comes to mind. And everyone hating on Laramie are fools. I love that little city. 

I turned a job down in Laramie and it wasn’t because of the town or the summer weather. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2021 at 1:49 PM, VandalBasher said:

As I've predicted for months, strike that, years, if OU and UT leave the B12, KU will be going to the B1G.

Regarding the other present B12 (sic) members, contrary to what somebody else predicted, I can't see the P12 offering TCU. One, it's a religious school. Not like Baylor, which will be knee deep in manure, but still a religious school. Also, it's hella far from the great majority of P12 schools. Now TT and Okie State I could understand. Neither is god's gift to conference expansion but other than their ultra-conservative politics, the two are essentially clones of CU and Utah.

If the SEC won't take UT because that school is too much of a pain in the ass to bother with, I can see UT, Bayluh, ISU, KSU and TCU asking another 5-7 members of the AAC and the MW to join them in cobbling together a Pea6 which would hope to emulate the old Big East in being a Best of the Rest (read best of the non-"power" conferences) which would be akin to what the Pacific Coast League and American Association were for several decades for professional baseball.

What of WVU? If the SEC passes on UT, they will be willing to see if WVU would sell its first, second, third and fourth-born sons to get in along with OU.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

As I've predicted for months, strike that, years, if OU and UT leave the B12, KU will be going to the B1G.

Regarding the other present B12 (sic) members, contrary to what somebody else predicted, I can't see the P12 offering TCU. One, it's a religious school. Not like Baylor, which will be knee deep in manure, but still a religious school. Also, it's hella far from the great majority of P12 schools. Now TT and OSU I could understand. Neither is god's gift to conference expansion but other than their conservative politics, the two are essentially clones of CU and Utah.

If the SEC won't take UT because that school is too much of a pain in the ass to bother with, I can see UT, Bayluh, ISU, KSU and TCU asking another 5-7 members of the AAC and the MW to join them in cobbling together a Pea6 which would hope to emulate the old Big East in being a Best of the Rest (read best of the non-"power" conferences) which would be akin to what the Pacific Coast League and American Association were for several decades for professional baseball.

What of WVU? If the SEC passes on UT, they will be willing to see if WVU would sell its first-, second- third and fourth-born sons to get in along with OU.

 

CB36E424-1326-485C-8504-B41EFE75B76F.jpeg

  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2021 at 3:04 PM, Ibanez said:

Then the B1G wouldn't expand IMO. The ACC wouldn't go to the central time zone either. So if that's the case the ACC would probably rescue West Virginia and add another school. Instill think it would be Cincinnati.

PAC-12 would stay at 12 as well.

These remaining schools TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Iowa State, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State would stick together. BYU, Houston and then who knows? Won't be SMU I don't think. Memphis, UCF, SDSU, UNLV, Colorado State, Boise State, Fresno State....probably in that order.

As things now stand, no conference automatically gets its champion into the CFP. If that should ever change, the P12 will be quietly told by the other four "power" conferences that considering they all have 16 members which seems about to happen, no conference with just 12 members is going to get an autobid. In other words, the P12 is going to be compelled to expand beyond the current 12 and probably forced to expand to 16.

Who might the additional two or four be? The best way to approach it would be to eliminate schools with zero chance of admission. Given Baylor's far-right politics and sexual assault history, you can start with them. Same for YBU. And unless Boise improves its academics dramatically, you can add the Broncos too. SMU? Unless I miss my bet, if getting into an elite conference required it, they'd dump the Methodist affiliation toot sweet just like USC did six decades ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

No. Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State are probably PAC-12 bound. B1G is gonna try to get PAC-12 teams but will probably settle for Iowa State and Kansas. Two AAU schools but I wouldn't be surprised of they get Colorado. I still say USC and UCLA are in play. Think about it. USC is the only blue Blood not in the SEC or B1G now. They will be in survival mode. West Virginia and Cincinnati to the ACC.

TCU, Kansas State, and Baylor will go after the best teams available and keep the Big 12 name. Who are the best nine out there?  No one is going to the Mountain West to play with Hawaii, SJSU, and New Mexico. No one is going to the AAC to play Tulsa, Tulane, and ECU. It's ridiculous.

Best thing about being Baylor, TCU and Kansas State right now (Or Texas Tech and Kansas of they don't get an invite) is they are in the middle of the country. They can ask teams in the east and west and not worry about travel. Travel would be everyone else's problem. The Big 12 schools can just go get the best teams available. @Did I hear a WOOSH? And the normal posters in here will disagree but who are these teams gonna wanna play against? Who does ESPN or FOX want?  UCF, Temple, SMU, Memphis, Tulane, ECU, Navy, Houston , USF, and Tulsa or are they gonna wanna play UCF, Houston, BYU, Boise State, Memphis, SMU, and San Diego State?

They are not going to the AAC and they are not inviting a shit ton of teams to split money 14 or 16 ways. That's not happening.

Baylor or TCU (or both) would almost assuredly be better off in the Big East and joining the AAC for football only or going indy. 

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2021 at 3:09 PM, alum93 said:

Could this be the start of 4 16 team P5 conferences forming in next few years?  Everyone splits into 8 team divisions.  B12 teams end up scattering.  Texas and OU to SEC gets them to 16 now.  And then they formally cut ties and have their own playoff.   Greed has no boundaries.  

Yes.

My suspicion is the result won't be elimination of the NCAA in favor (I use that word loosely) of a new governing body which oversees four 16-member super conferences but that UT and OU will initiate the process by going indy. That would be great for YBU, or course, and maybe also ND. It will be great for all of them if it begins a falling of dominoes which results in U$C leaving the P12, perhaps along with Oregon, and then an SEC-rejected Texas coming along and then maybe Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson and god knows who else. That conference would immediately be the match of even an SEC which includes Oklahoma.

The B1G thrives more on basketball than football revenue along with the population size of the great majority of its members so that conference will always survive. So I see a possibility that when the dust clears, there won't be four 16-member super conferences but just three, with the B12 being essentially a mid-major league and a non-USC and Oregon P12 being at the level of the B12 and of lesser significance than the three super conferences.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ibanez said:

I think Kansas and Iowa State are the only teams who meet the B1G academic requirements.

The differences between the two are that Kansas has one of the 10 or so premier basketball programs in the country and is only an hour and a half from a major city. Iowa State deserves plaudits for what it has accomplished given its restrictions but it provides neither benefit to another conference. Then there's the fact the University of Iowa will absolutely never support Iowa State joining the B1G. Ergo, ISU will absolutely not be offered B1G membership.

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

as a Memphis fan I'm hoping there is at least 1 more program plus Tex/Ok leaving the Big 12 just to make sure they need us lol that would open up 5 spots assuming they (leftovers) want to get back to 12 programs.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

The differences between the two are that Kansas has one of the 10 or so premier basketball programs in the country and is only an hour and a half from a major city. Iowa State deserves plaudits for what it has accomplished given its restrictions but it provides neither benefit to another conference. Then there's the fact the University of Iowa will absolutely never support Iowa State joining the B1G. Ergo, ISU will absolutely not be offered B1G membership.

Iowa isn't a major influence in the Big Ten, but they are extremely limited in what they can offer in a conference with their fingerprint well inside their state.  I think they are stuck.  Same with KState

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I agree. But basically everyone in the PAC-12 are AAU. That's why I think if the B1G does go to 16, I'd be surprised if the B1G doesn't call Colorado to go with Kansas.

that would make a lot of sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mizzou and KU belong together. And iirc Mizzou is AAU. I think the B1G will give it a shot even if the answer is no. But keep in mind Mizzou objected to the addition of UT and OU.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AztecSU said:

Good. Let them go the way of the Ivy and become an after thought on sports. 

The president’s aren’t immune to big donors screaming at them threatening to stop academic donating if they’re negligent on keeping athletics strong. So they do have pressure. But on a personal level, they love to go to their cocktail parties and talk about the latest breakthroughs in research are coming from their schools, what academic awards they win, etc. The B10 is sort of that way too. But not so much the B12, SEC or ACC. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

ESPN just released a statement. I'll go and get the link but it Basically said every team is looking for a new conference but if the eight do stay put, they would look to add two teams. The teams listed were BYU, UCF, Cincinnati, and Houston. Pretty sure they just randomly used those teams.

Here is the thing. I was listening to John Kurtz and 365 Sports. They were told if the Big 12s remaining members were to just rebuild the conference, they don't think they would add more Texas teams. Maybe Houston but SMU would be SOL. My guess I'd if four teams get poached, Memphis gets a spot of they want it. It would be worth it to get away from Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, and Temple. (I know Temple had a great three year run but no one on Philly cares. And I think it's booty when teams play on an NFL stadium.)

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31865190/big-12-officials-meet-discuss-possible-departures-oklahoma-texas-sec

@RebelRobert beat me to it.

assuming WVU stays...Memphis and Cincy 'build a bridge' to put them in the conference footprint. 

if the Big 12 loses a 3rd team then it gets fun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I guarantee you Boise States Alumni can drive trucks in the snow to get things delivered to Columbus or East Lansing better than anyone. That's a skill people with a lot of money would look for like B1G donors and Presidents. Someone needs to transport their illegal good and protect their shady business practices and activities.

BSU to the B1G!

hey, truckers are the backbone of American logistics! heros IMHO. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I say they lose five teams. I think it will be Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and one more. I'll say West Virginia.

I think Kansas gets in somewhere before TTU but that's just me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

No. Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State are probably PAC-12 bound. B1G is gonna try to get PAC-12 teams but will probably settle for Iowa State and Kansas. Two AAU schools but I wouldn't be surprised of they get Colorado. I still say USC and UCLA are in play. Think about it. USC is the only blue Blood not in the SEC or B1G now. They will be in survival mode. West Virginia and Cincinnati to the ACC.

TCU, Kansas State, and Baylor will go after the best teams available and keep the Big 12 name. Who are the best nine out there?  No one is going to the Mountain West to play with Hawaii, SJSU, and New Mexico. No one is going to the AAC to play Tulsa, Tulane, and ECU. It's ridiculous.

Best thing about being Baylor, TCU and Kansas State right now (Or Texas Tech and Kansas of they don't get an invite) is they are in the middle of the country. They can ask teams in the east and west and not worry about travel. Travel would be everyone else's problem. The Big 12 schools can just go get the best teams available. @Did I hear a WOOSH? And the normal posters in here will disagree but who are these teams gonna wanna play against? Who does ESPN or FOX want?  UCF, Temple, SMU, Memphis, Tulane, ECU, Navy, Houston , USF, and Tulsa or are they gonna wanna play UCF, Houston, BYU, Boise State, Memphis, SMU, and San Diego State?

They are not going to the AAC and they are not inviting a shit ton of teams to split money 14 or 16 ways. That's not happening.

That’s just too many teams involved to me.  I think at most there’s going to be three schools upgrading to a ‘power conference’, and it’s more likely going to be two than three.  Just my feeling at the moment. 

That said, I feel the American is positioned to come out of this as well as can be expected.  Their evolution will become impactful to the MWC in short order after the dominos fall with the SEC.  The Big Ten is the obvious elephant in the room, would you be surprised if they weren’t trying to circumvent the ACC’s grant of rights deal right now?  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...