Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 9/5/2023 at 8:52 PM, sactowndog said:

If you have a reverse merger you keep staff.   

Having just subscribed to the MWC network on Roku I think the possibilities of the equipment is endless.  I would think hard about a streaming TV alliance with the WCC none of which have a football team. Not to mention for some Olympic sports like Water Polo we are in the same conference.  

it will help make WCC fans MWC football fans…..

So what I posted about on Monday is now happening on Friday. The legal battle has started and the 10 exiting schools are going to fight over whatever assets remain in the murdered conference. I hope W/OSU wins and the new PAC14 (post merger) can benefit with playoff access and resources. I do think that any resolution is at least months away and the MWC needs to help (scheduling) W/OSU as much as we can. 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2023 at 11:06 PM, sactowndog said:

San Antonio is their own market with no P5 team, Memphis is their own market and both P5 teams are in the east, Louisiana has 1 P5 team.  

You know that doesn't matter.  Texas and to a much lesser extent Texas A&M dominate Texas.  Probably quite a few A&M grads in SA though.  lSU dominates Louisiana.  Tennessee dominates Tennessee although Memphis probably has the best presence of all 3 of those and is head and shoulders above the other 2.  

On 9/8/2023 at 10:38 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Clyde:

1. First of all, I realize you have no control over the OS Beaver guy because every decent football playing school has at least one of them, but that guy is an embarrassment to Oregon State and deserves to be drawn and quartered.

2. Why the heck should it matter to your fan base that Boise fans care about you? Boise can fill a similar role in the Pacific-Mountain Conference to what Vanderbilt fills for the SEC. Although Vandy sucks athletically, it is among the best academic schools in the SEC. Although Boise sucks at academics, it will be among the best athletics schools in the Pacific-Mountain.*

* To be clear, I'm not at all advocating that name change; indeed, I don't like it. However, I'm a pragmatist and simply see that name as being inevitable.

I don’t even remember the context of why I said that. It really doesn’t matter. I think I pointed out shorty after that how I don’t really like Boise. It was due to some tough losses I’ve witnessed against them though.

I am 100% against the conference being Pacific Mountain. I’d be fine with almost any other name (Mountain Pacific for example). I don’t want to give other conferences the incentive to call us the broke Pac mountain...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/8/2023 at 11:59 PM, clydebeav said:

I don’t even remember the context of why I said that. It really doesn’t matter. I think I pointed out shorty after that how I don’t really like Boise. It was due to some tough losses I’ve witnessed against them though.

I am 100% against the conference being Pacific Mountain. I’d be fine with almost any other name (Mountain Pacific for example). I don’t want to give other conferences the incentive to call us the broke Pac mountain...

LOL

On 9/8/2023 at 10:51 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

JFC. I go away for nine days to take my first legitimate vacation in eight years and return late tonight to discover that this thread has turned into the world's largest pile of canine fecal matter since the election of Donald Trump.

It sounds like you need another vacation. 😀

kat.jpg

On 9/8/2023 at 11:06 PM, sactowndog said:

San Antonio is their own market with no P5 team, Memphis is their own market and both P5 teams are in the east, Louisiana has 1 P5 team.  

Aresco totally botched the whole affair with SMU. He showed he was completely incapable of leading a major conference.

SMU sold its own dignity along with dignity of the AAC to the highest bidder. And, Aresco publicly condoned the behavior and sided with the actions of SMU against his own conference. 

Little wonder in the last 12 months he has lost not only SMU, but also Cinci, Houston, and UCF. Little wonder why UConn would rather rot in independence than join the American. 

I hate to be so blunt, but if I am UTSA and Memphis, I am practically begging for a way out. 

There could be a potential opportunity here to snag both teams; that opportunity should be explored. 

On 9/9/2023 at 12:15 AM, SteedLaw said:

Aresco totally botched the whole affair with SMU. He showed he was completely incapable of leading a major conference.

SMU sold its own dignity along with dignity of the AAC to the highest bidder. And, Aresco publicly condoned the behavior and sided with the actions of SMU against his own conference. 

Little wonder in the last 12 months he has lost not only SMU, but also Cinci, Houston, and UCF. Little wonder why UConn would rather rot in independence than join the American. 

I hate to be so blunt, but if I am UTSA and Memphis, I am practically begging for a way out. 

There could be a potential opportunity here to snag both teams; that opportunity should be explored. 

Each of those schools got a P5 invite(except  UConn but they did get into a major bball conference)there was nothing he could do.  Aresco is a carnival barker but you can't hold those losses against him.  

• Like 4

On 9/8/2023 at 10:59 PM, clydebeav said:

No worries. Wyoming has a Brokeback Mountain with trails you can hump all over the place. And when they talk about Laradise, it’s nothing to worry about. Laradise Lice only really explodes in population during football and basketball season. The rest of the year it’s not a problem. Just bring some DEET if going to a game and you’ll be fine. 

kat.jpg

On 9/8/2023 at 11:15 PM, SteedLaw said:

Houston was desiring of a MWC invite and the attitude of the MWC was the short term thinking you see here on this board.  Not sure you can blame Aresco that 3 of his teams got promoted and no MWC schools did.  He is proactive and forward thinking.  The MWC is reactive and short term focused. The schools in this league sound very much like PAC-12 schools.  

• Haha 2

On 9/9/2023 at 1:03 AM, sactowndog said:

Houston was desiring of a MWC invite and the attitude of the MWC was the short term thinking you see here on this board.  Not sure you can blame Aresco that 3 of his teams got promoted and no MWC schools did.  He is proactive and forward thinking.  The MWC is reactive and short term focused. The schools in this league sound very much like PAC-12 schools.  

Can you provide a link to where Houston wanted to join the MWC.  I recall reading that the MWC wanted Houston, but they said no.  All I can recall as far as verification is that it didn't strike me as a reliable source at the time.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2023 at 2:15 AM, SteedLaw said:

What are you talking about? SMU walked away from money, what does that have to do with Aresco, seriously? The other schools that left were far and away the best options for expansion and are now doing well.  Worst case scenario Aresco is a victim of his success, you’ve got a really weird perspective.  And no, no school is leaving the AAC for the mwcp2 conference, that would be insane.  

On 9/9/2023 at 12:29 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

What are you talking about? SMU walked away from money, what does that have to do with Aresco, seriously? The other schools that left were far and away the best options for expansion and are now doing well.  Worst case scenario Aresco is a victim of his success, you’ve got a really weird perspective.  And no, no school is leaving the AAC for the mwcp2 conference, that would be insane.  

If Memphis wants to eventually join a power conference, it’s not going to get an invite from a shit depleted AAC which is basically a Crap USA conference now. Hell, the Sun Belt will be the 2nd best G5 going forward. 

kat.jpg

Mike Aresco always comes out of the back end smelling like a rose.

Don't be surprised if Air Force and Colorado State re-engage with the AAC.

All of you new Pac 12 schools should be paying homage to George Kliavkoff on "X" at @Kliavkoff. 

Kliavkoff is the reason everyone here gets (Pac 12) Golden Tickets. He is Willy Wonka.

Wyoming, you will love your Golden Ticket!!

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • OG R-Tard 1

UTEP as a New Pac 12 member is intriguing.

EVERYONE IS RACING TO TEXAS. The ACC is racing to Texas. The SEC is racing to Texas. The Big 12 is the P4 Texas Stalwart.

Texas State and UTEP are still on the proverbial board for a Pac 12/MWC poach.

This makes a lot of sense from the standpoint of providing NM with regional foes.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2023 at 3:31 PM, Dirtball said:

This isn't a BE type decision. We arent shipping our football team across the country while demoting all other sports to the Big West. The Pac 12 is a really good fit from regional, academic (improving the research), and from a culture/pollical standpoint. Our fan base is way more more P12, than the crazy fanatics in the B12. In fact, if it wasn't for Yormark's (perceived) desire to have a conference with teams in each time zone ,SDSU wouldnt be a consideration, as we arent a fit.

IMHO

SDSU is getting its Pac-12 "GOLDEN TICKET" just like you always wanted.

ENJOY.

:-)

On 5/31/2023 at 12:18 AM, utenation said:

Yormark polishes his nob at least 2 times a week.  

Dodds has been firing off at the mouth since day one.  Claims to have “sources”.  He also referenced Thamel’s work last week. Saying he “heard from” a B12 coach that CU is moving. Lol. 

Utah’s AD had heard enough of the bullshit a few months ago. 

A LOT of you owe these fine national CFB journalists an apology.

All of the national reporters have been proven correct on Big 12 and Big 10 expansion every step of the way.

Jason Scheer was the most correct of all of the reporters, and he took so much heat from all of you bixes in front of your computer screens.

However, now they are saying all of you MWC teams will get your Pac 12 golden ticccccckets.

Do you still doubt? You're getting what you always wanted.

On 9/9/2023 at 4:19 AM, Nevada Convert said:

If Memphis wants to eventually join a power conference, it’s not going to get an invite from a shit depleted AAC which is basically a Crap USA conference now. Hell, the Sun Belt will be the 2nd best G5 going forward. 

If Memphis wants to join a p5 conference they are in the only conference that has graduated a school to one in what, 12 years? They are in the best possible place objectively.  Trying to use someone’s success against themselves is very MWB.  

• Super-Mega Idiot 1

On 9/9/2023 at 2:54 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

If Memphis wants to join a p5 conference they are in the only conference that has graduated a school to one in what, 12 years? They are in the best possible place objectively.  Trying to use someone’s success against themselves is very MWB.  

When was the last time a school was invited from a CUSA, MAC or old Sun Belt quality conference? Never. Why? Because good schools float to the top playing against the toughest competition.

It could take the AAC 10 years or more to get anywhere near where it has been, and that is just a cold hard reality. Or it may never recover. The AAC has been greatly helped and greatly hurt by existing in a mid to east coast foot print where so much population and so many power conferences are. 

Memphis has worked hard to get better in FB and BB, and unfortunately it hasn’t quite paid off. But it’s all going to go to waste if if stays in a low level G5 conference. 

kat.jpg