Did I hear a WOOSH?

Conference Realignment thread

On 9/8/2023 at 7:38 PM, Nevada Convert said:

True, but indirectly it brings a lot. Tourney credits, but mostly it increases the power of the conf in basketball which allows the other schools to get better with players and coaches. It also gets fans more engaged. So with the entire conf rising, you just make more money with better attendance, get better ratings, more tourney credits, better games for fans, etc. It can also attract other great schools to join. 

Which ones?

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 7:56 PM, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Feels like a tall task with just 2 members. Most similar to the Idaho and NMSU situation in the WAC.
Especially for their oly sports and filling up schedules. Will need to find every tournament and open spot in schedules to fill the bulk of a season. They will essentially be “Indy” schools for all their sports for 2024 if they are still at 2 members.
Also would be interesting if they can get a NCAA tourney invite for sports as the ‘PAC’ representative with 2 members lol

That is not just a tall task, that is impossible. 

This is not even feasible.

On 9/8/2023 at 6:23 PM, Headbutt said:

Gonzaga, LMAO!  They are completely meaningless in this discussion.  It would be fantastic to add them, but they bring little financially and don't play football.

That is a debate I’d love to read/listen to by people who actually know what they are talking about. That is a brand that rivals what Vegas had going on in the 80s. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 8:05 PM, NevadaFan said:

That is a debate I’d love to read/listen to by people who actually know what they are talking about. That is a brand that rivals what Vegas had going on in the 80s. 

No question.  They just don't bring football like $$, and they don't play football.  Great addition, as I said, but they are extraneous to this expansion discussion.  I'm all for adding them, but that's a whole different conversation.

On 9/8/2023 at 6:43 PM, sactowndog said:

Sean.  I don’t want to leave you or Wyoming behind.  But if it comes down to a forced choice between Wyoming, Nevada, CSU over Memphis, Tulane and UTSA I am taking the latter 3 every time.  And intransigence could well lead to that choice.  

Dude, you just promised the other day that you weren’t leaving Nevada behind, and now you are. That really hurts. Is there anything I can do to change your mind? That’s going to be devastating to us. Please re-consider. How much $ do you want? I have my checkbook out, so message me and let’s get this done. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 5

kat.jpg

On 9/8/2023 at 8:05 PM, NevadaFan said:

And then when the win streaks stop? What then? Then you are stuck supporting a small private school that sponsors only Oly sports. 

I have thought about this. Not saying I am right, and as much as I like the Zags, they just are not ultimately the right fit for the conference. 

The conference is moving towards adding W/OSU. The conference “brand” moving forward seems to be large public research universities with a high level of academic and research achievement, strong in potential future growth in all areas. 

In contrast, Gonzaga is (and always will be) a tiny by comparison private, non-research, religious college — with currently less than a quarter of the students of most schools in the MWC. Even AFA, that also has a small student-body, represents a military body with tens of thousands of constituents. 

I mean, can you really see WSU developing a strong “rivalry” with Gonzaga? Seems kind of pointless. 

I think it is more likely that we add Hawaii in all sports or take on an extra full or football only member eventually. The Zags just are not the right fit. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

On 9/8/2023 at 8:12 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Dude, you just promised the other day that you weren’t leaving Nevada behind, and now you are. That really hurts. Is there anything I can do to change your mind? That’s going to be devastating to us. Please re-consider. How much $ do you want? I have my checkbook out, so message me and let’s get this done. 

Nevada isn’t going anywhere, none of us are. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 6:21 PM, wolfpack1 said:

Because MWC was told by their partners when approached last year there was no one out there that moved the needle for the conference for payment. And you won't invited more schools if there is not an increase in TV money or enough to move the needle

Anything older than 21 days is ancient history and likely not relevant in the current.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
110926run_defense710.jpg

On 9/8/2023 at 8:20 PM, Wyobraska said:

https://www.si.com/college/2023/09/08/west-georgia-wolves-announce-move-division-1

Actual realignment news, West Georgia goes from D2 to FCS.

Also Deleware is exploring moving up. Speculation on other Forums is either teaming up with UMASS and joining the MAC or Delaware, UMASS and UConn to CUSA as Football only additions (UConn/Umass dont want to leave their basketball Conference)

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/college/ud/2023/09/08/delaware-blue-hens-move-to-football-bowl-subdivision-in-future/70779798007/

On 9/8/2023 at 7:28 PM, utgrizfan said:

Also Deleware is exploring moving up. Speculation on other Forums is either teaming up with UMASS and joining the MAC or Delaware, UMASS and UConn to CUSA as Football only additions (UConn/Umass dont want to leave their basketball Conference)

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/college/ud/2023/09/08/delaware-blue-hens-move-to-football-bowl-subdivision-in-future/70779798007/

Delaware has been looking to move up for 5-10 years now, I don't think they have the finances to do it. C-USA went after UConn and UMass before and both said no thank you to them. 

On 9/8/2023 at 8:07 PM, Nevada Convert said:

It depends on the situation. Duh. 

So, unlike football, you don't have a list.  Thank you.  That kind of makes my point as to how important BB is in all of this.  Gonzaga would be an awesome addition anywhere, but it's just extra.  BB is not the core to any western expansion.

On 9/8/2023 at 6:44 PM, RebelRobert said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/could-pac-12-survive-after-all-oregon-state-washington-state-hope-so-with-legal-move-235231232.html

Can’t be any clearer that the plan is to invite best of MWC and AAC.

Wake up MWC fans and start planning for your bleak futures.

You must have missed this part in your zeal to read into the article what you wanted to here.                                                        "Murthy, who celebrates her one-year anniversary as Oregon State’s president on Saturday, says rebuilding the Pac-12 remains one of several options. Others include joining the Mountain West Conference, or an unusual merger with the full membership of the MWC, whereby a 14-member league would operate under the Pac-12 brand and potentially retain its assets."

• Like 3

On 9/8/2023 at 7:59 PM, wolf from 73 said:

You must have missed this part in your zeal to read into the article what you wanted to here.                                                        "Murthy, who celebrates her one-year anniversary as Oregon State’s president on Saturday, says rebuilding the Pac-12 remains one of several options. Others include joining the Mountain West Conference, or an unusual merger with the full membership of the MWC, whereby a 14-member league would operate under the Pac-12 brand and potentially retain its assets."

And also possibly playing as a two team conference as well. And also seems impressed with Gloria as well

On 9/8/2023 at 7:27 PM, Headbutt said:

Not as much as you'd like to think.  BB only is 25 cents on the dollar for what FB brings.

If that. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 9/8/2023 at 8:06 PM, wolfpack1 said:

And also possibly playing as a two team conference as well. And also seems impressed with Gloria as well

Yes, I know but all Webel Wobert read was. 

"Can’t be any clearer that the plan is to invite best of MWC and AAC.

Wake up MWC fans and start planning for your bleak futures."

On 9/8/2023 at 8:11 PM, wolf from 73 said:

Yes, I know but all Webel Wobert read was. 

"Can’t be any clearer that the plan is to invite best of MWC and AAC.

Wake up MWC fans and start planning for your bleak futures."

Oh I know, Os Beaver errrrr mean Rebel Robert only read the part he was interested in

• Haha 1

On 9/8/2023 at 10:02 AM, sactowndog said:

If the range fans are reflective of their Presidents I am slowly moving in SDSU’s camp we should pay whatever, leave with SDSU, UNLV, Boise, Hawaii, and maybe SJSU and form a best of the rest in the PAC-12 with more visionary aggressive schools. 

I say bring the whole West division for rivalries and not leave Nevada or SJSU behind..we all work well together believe it or not.

• Like 2